cochlear implants

I did talk to my hubby about this issue if he should ever lose his hearing. He said before meeting my friends and learning ASL, he would have been devastated and scared as hell. He said now that he knows how deaf people live their lives without being able to hear fully, knowing ASL, and having his house equipped with strobe lights, he is all set if he should lose his hearing. :giggle:

Exactly. That's all I'm saying. For me, it would be easier because I already know what I need to know to deal with it.

No. I'm not deaf. But what does that have to do with skills necessary to deal with it? The question was, how would I react to it if I became deaf. And the answer is, I don't see that it would be a tragedy because I am already familiar with that world and have the communication skills I would need. I don't understand why you object to my answer.

:cool2:

I respect your POV, but it is a little different to suddenly or even gradually lose hearing if you were most if your life normally hearing than to be born with some hearing loss and lose more later on.
Since you were born with hearing loss, you had to and had time to adjust since birth.

Fuzzy

Probably but 40 db is only a mild loss and I didn't even wear hearing aids till I was about 11.

I do know what it is like to lose a sense at a later age though as I was sighted until I was 17 then I gradually lost all my sight (although some of it later returned so now I am just legally blind as aposed to totatally blind as I was at one stage). I was rather devistated about my sight loss. I won't claim that I wasnt. Even going so far as to attempt Suicide. However It wasn't blindness that bothered me so much as my perseption of blindness. Had I known capable deafblind people who were able to lead normal lives then I would not have gone to pieces in quite the same way.

I think Jillo is right when she says that she would cope better knowing how to communicate via ASL and knowing capable deaf people. I'm sure that Jillo would manage with the loss of her hearing. I manage with no hearing and only limited vision. I face discrimination but so did my mum because she was French and had mental health issues. Incidently I also seem to suffer mental health issues although fortunately for me it is on a periodical bases rather then a permament one. My life is like a game of snakes and ladders. I manage to climb. I've even managed to get volentary work dispite my deafblindness but then I have another episode. I find mental health issues a greater barier then Deafblindness.

Probably but 40 db is only a mild loss and I didn't even wear hearing aids till I was about 11.

I do know what it is like to lose a sense at a later age though as I was sighted until I was 17 then I gradually lost all my sight (although some of it later returned so now I am just legally blind as aposed to totatally blind as I was at one stage). I was rather devistated about my sight loss. I won't claim that I wasnt. Even going so far as to attempt Suicide. However It wasn't blindness that bothered me so much as my perseption of blindness. Had I known capable deafblind people who were able to lead normal lives then I would not have gone to pieces in quite the same way.

I think Jillo is right when she says that she would cope better knowing how to communicate via ASL and knowing capable deaf people. I'm sure that Jillo would manage with the loss of her hearing. I manage with no hearing and only limited vision. I face discrimination but so did my mum because she was French and had mental health issues. Incidently I also seem to suffer mental health issues although fortunately for me it is on a periodical bases rather then a permament one. My life is like a game of snakes and ladders. I manage to climb. I've even managed to get volentary work dispite my deafblindness but then I have another episode. I find mental health issues a greater barier then Deafblindness.

Thank you for understanding what I was saying,dreama. And I agree with yur regrading mental health issues. They carry a stigma that is far more predjudicial and mental illness is subject to prevasive societal causes that disable the individual more than the mental illness itself disables.

But, then again, highlands, you did not enter into your deafness with the same life experience that I have had.

That's true, You have a son that is deaf, You walked all the way thru his life and have more experienced what it is like to be deaf, and highlands lost his hearing in his late years.

That's true, You have a son that is deaf, You walked all the way thru his life and have more experienced what it is like to be deaf, and highlands lost his hearing in his late years.

:ty: Cheri

I didn't put words into your mouth, cloggy. Nor did I imply that you used the word "only". I simply asked a question. Put the nastiness on hold. We are having a civil discussion here.

Cloggy was not being nasty just stating a fact and requesting that you not put words in his mouth. Don't attempt to deny what you did by turning it around on Cloggy.

Your "newfound" niceness act is not fooling anyone and you will soon revert to your old self.

Back