cochlear implants

Originally posted by caffy

Of course, I am worried about the increasing numbers of CI users, and I sincerely hope that someone out there will wake up and realise the beauty of being Deaf and the ever so awesome Deaf culture, and tell parents/individuals that it is OKAY to look at other options, other than getting CI. It is OKAY to be Deaf - some parents do not realise that. I think it all comes down to needing more resources, with more information about what you can do, for parents with a newborn Deaf baby.

And I wish that some Deaf people would wake up and realize the beauty of being Hearing and the ever so awesome (and large) Hearing culture, and tell Deaf people that it is OKAY to be hearing, if they so choose, and for a child that is implanted early and grows up hearing, that that is OKAY, too.

I know most people here don't think so, but parents generally ARE told about all options. That is the point of most infant screening done in the hospitals. Most parents will get on the Internet and research all they can about Deafness (including Deaf culture) and make an informed decision. I'm not saying all, but the times have changed and this is generally the way it happens. I think Hearing parents are often demonized by the Deaf culture for implanted their children, based on the assumption that the hearing parents automatically went for a CI without looking at other options. Most parents have looked at everything-they want what's best for thier child and will look into everything and learn as much as they can before making a decision.

Okay, so maybe what you have said is true...after all I don't know what it is like in America, but I do know that here in Down Under, things are different.

I know of a group of parents here lobbying for more resources for parents with newborn deaf babies here. Lobbying for neo-natal screening (the waiting list is longer than 6 months - which is stupid as research has shown that the earlier the recognising of the baby having deafness, the more likely they will be able to do better in education etc, with whatever choice they go with - oral, signing, etc).

And I do know of some doctors who are biased.. they say "you must HAVE the CI NOW! So your child has a chance of being normal" But what is NORMAL?

And i know of some people in the CI Team that tell parents to ban their children from being allowed to sign, and go into the mainstream. This happened to a young fella that I knew of. What happened to him? He's gone from being an smart kid to a kid who's not doing well in the mainstream, he doesnt understand his teacher aide because she (the T.A) is not allowed to sign to him. He cannot understand the information that is given in class. Poor fella...his parents listened to the doctor, took him out of the Deaf school and put him in mainstream, and is not allowed to sign at all. (his verbal skills are not that good i believe).

If you're wondering how i know this? The CI team told my mother to stop signing, and only speak to me. My mother didnt agree with them and she carries on using both with me. They also told my friend's mother to stop signing to her daughter who is 100% reliant on sign language.

Anyway, that's just my POV of things here in Down Under - as I said i don't know what it is like in America, so - sorry if you didn't like my answer earlier..I was trying to give 2 POV's to the situation as I see it...I'm not 100% against it, and im not 100% for it...

That's the way things used to be in the U.S., and you'll still find pockets of that occasionally, but on a whole, we've progressed beyond that. Parents are presented with all options, including signing.

Originally posted by radiohead
That's the way things used to be in the U.S., and you'll still find pockets of that occasionally, but on a whole, we've progressed beyond that. Parents are presented with all options, including signing.

Unfortunately caffey is right.WE are faced with that situation down here without the options you have. It seems so backwards and experimental down here. I really believe you need to come onboard to start monitoring all this. We can't do it alone.

Originally posted by Cain Marko
Thats all fine but just remember people with CI dont mean they have turned their backs on being deaf.
That isnt something you should assume....at least that is how I read your 2nd paragraph.

You misread it.

Originally posted by radiohead
I AM Deaf...I don't consider it a bad thing- I like being Deaf with a CI.

And I think you are misreading my argument. It makes sense for the parent to choose- I never said any different. I'm pointing out the illogic behind those who say they want their child to have all choices available to them, by waiting till they are old enough.

If a parent decides they don't want to implant their child, more power to them. Same with those who choose to implant their children immediately. But those who want to give thier child a CHOICE, it only makes sense to go ahead and implant them in order that the child might have the choice. Make sense?

It's an inarguable right of the parent to makes decisions for the child- I'm not trying to infringe on that at all.

You misread mine as well. I never questioned your wishes at all, nor the type of identity you want to have or already have. :D

Originally posted by Liza
You misread mine as well. I never questioned your wishes at all, nor the type of identity you want to have or already have. :D

I understand the logic radiohead is trying to say, that to give the kids their full choices, is to give them implants and if they should decide to be deaf themselves, they can just take off the equipment. However, I would think that there are some ppl who wish they never had implants in the first place. As I have said it before, it is a very tough decision to make. For me, I would probably decide not to implant my kids no matter how illogical it may sound. No need to beat around this point of how illogical it may be. I don't know why ppl get angry at me, as I am saying that I am not against CI, just that I am against CI for myself. I respect other ppl's decisions and hope that they respect mine too.

Originally posted by kuifje75
I understand the logic radiohead is trying to say, that to give the kids their full choices, is to give them implants and if they should decide to be deaf themselves, they can just take off the equipment. However, I would think that there are some ppl who wish they never had implants in the first place. As I have said it before, it is a very tough decision to make. For me, I would probably decide not to implant my kids no matter how illogical it may sound. No need to beat around this point of how illogical it may be. I don't know why ppl get angry at me, as I am saying that I am not against CI, just that I am against CI for myself. I respect other ppl's decisions and hope that they respect mine too.

Very good point.

But for those who say they never wished they got it in the first place, that's fine. But at least they got the chance to try it. They don't like, they don't have to wear it. Simple as that. They HAD the full range of choices and that is what they chose.

myself i have ci myself and i hate it very much and it doesn't help at all so i got it when i was very very young at age 3 and 5 yrs old. i made my mom and my whole family regret it because i told them that they should had wait until i got older and ask me if i would like to have ci or not. if they did wait until i got older and they asked me if i wanted to CI i would say NO because I am very against CI shessh!

but parents generally ARE told about all options.
Yes they are told about all options, but OTOH they can get and are given very biased info and stats. A lot of parents do not at all really look at why a certain mode of commuication/ education is sucessful. Like, the reason why some oralists may have high reading levels is b/c they have VERY hyperinvolved yuppie parents who want designer "perfect" kids.
They look at the local deaf school and totally bash the education there without looking at WHY the kids do so badly. It's simple...most Deafies who are poorly in the academic dept are that way b/c their parents aren't really involved in their lives. Most Deaf kids don't have parents who sign. There are some kids whose hearing parents sign, but sadly they are in the minority! :( I do know two Deaf girls whose hearing families Sign....Jessica Whitney (and she has done extremely well for herself the last I heard) and Emily Blachley (deaf school first and then mainstream and she's now at Gally)
I also don't like how parents are told that it's an either or sitution! ARUGHHH!!!! Parents have to be told that the best idea is to keep ALL options open for their kids, and teach them ASL, Sign, Cued Speech etc. I know of far far far too many parents of older deaf and hoh kids who went with oralism when their kids were young and now wish they had learned ASL! Nobody I know regrets learning ASL, but I know far far far far far too many people who regret that they limited their deaf and hoh kids to the deaf-world! Screw parental choice! This is a choice that affects the happiness and well-being and functioning of another person!

Originally posted by LezArtist
myself i have ci myself and i hate it very much and it doesn't help at all so i got it when i was very very young at age 3 and 5 yrs old. i made my mom and my whole family regret it

Ill bet you were a real joy to be around.

Do you still use it?

Originally posted by Cain Marko
Ill bet you were a real joy to be around.

Do you still use it?

well i don't use my ci anymore.. bec it doesn't help me at all so i never wore it all since high school

Originally posted by kuifje75
Basically, you benefit from CI the most, when it is implanted inside you as early as possible. For instance, if you are a 30 year old woman, and want to be implanted, you won't have the full benefit of a CI like a 2 or 3 year old child would, because the child still is in developmental stage to start recognising sounds in their brain, etc... That is why this is a very tough subject to discuss.

Myself, I am against CI, but I do also believe in choices. The problem is that if they wait too late, they may not benefit as much from it.

I understand what you're talking about and I've seen it myself firsthand. I have a cochlear implant and I had it done when I was 29...3 years ago. In the beginning, I was against CI's but when I saw my step son functioning so well with his -- he had his done when he was almost 2 years old (he's 15 now). Although, the CI does well for me, understanding more words and stuff like that when talking with people, but I still have a long ways to go. Dan, my step son, can hear on the phone and talk and understand at least 95% of the time. In a way, it was good that he had it done at a young age, but at the same time I felt that it should've been put on hold until he was older so he'd make the decision of whether he wanted one or not. A couple of years ago, he did complain a bit about why he had to wear the CI, I explained to him that it was his decision if he wanted to keep on wearing it or not, but now he hasn't complained at all and still uses his CI every day.

Peace to y'all.

Goldie

Originally posted by WaterRats13
I understand what you're talking about and I've seen it myself firsthand. I have a cochlear implant and I had it done when I was 29...3 years ago. In the beginning, I was against CI's but when I saw my step son functioning so well with his -- he had his done when he was almost 2 years old (he's 15 now). Although, the CI does well for me, understanding more words and stuff like that when talking with people, but I still have a long ways to go. Dan, my step son, can hear on the phone and talk and understand at least 95% of the time. In a way, it was good that he had it done at a young age, but at the same time I felt that it should've been put on hold until he was older so he'd make the decision of whether he wanted one or not. A couple of years ago, he did complain a bit about why he had to wear the CI, I explained to him that it was his decision if he wanted to keep on wearing it or not, but now he hasn't complained at all and still uses his CI every day.

Peace to y'all.

Goldie

Awesome! curious, do you know R.V.jr? pm if you do! (4 more days for my ci surgery!)

I was born hard of hearing... I lost my left hearing when I was 7 years. I was upset about it. I had surgery for CI when I was 18 years. It was my decision. Suddnely my right ear was getting worst. I got very fustrate. I had another surgery for my right hear. It helped a lot. I don't wear very often because I don't like very nosie or loud radio that my dad used. My parent "NEVER" forced me to use CI, however they just teach me how to talk good. I grew up oral and learn sign language at age 13 years.

I see this argument too often become "Oralism vs. ASL," and it doesn't necessarily have to be that. An implanted child can still learn ASL and be very active in the Deaf community. Really, I don't see anything wrong with a child being implanted and using that as an AID. I think it's when parents assume that the CI will "cure" their child and they'll never have problems getting by in the world that it becomes an issue.

I always use an example of one of my favorite families from an all-deaf hockey camp where I work: 2 children, both implanted when they were young. Their implants work great, they can speak very well; however, their parents are both fluent (yes, even the dad) in ASL, and they always use that, often in conjunction with speech. It's a great example of how children can have the best of both world.

ayala920 said:
I see this argument too often become "Oralism vs. ASL," and it doesn't necessarily have to be that. An implanted child can still learn ASL and be very active in the Deaf community. Really, I don't see anything wrong with a child being implanted and using that as an AID. I think it's when parents assume that the CI will "cure" their child and they'll never have problems getting by in the world that it becomes an issue.

I always use an example of one of my favorite families from an all-deaf hockey camp where I work: 2 children, both implanted when they were young. Their implants work great, they can speak very well; however, their parents are both fluent (yes, even the dad) in ASL, and they always use that, often in conjunction with speech. It's a great example of how children can have the best of both world.

I see that when parent will assume that the CI will cure their children. Parent can not expecting deaf child to become hearing when the child wear the coclhear implant!. My great grandma prayed for me to expect me to become hearing. I still don't believe her. I am happy to be deaf. I learned to accept to be deaf, however I want to hear with my coclhear implant to communcation with hearing people in my family. I do wear CI sometime to hear but not everyday. My parent can't forced me to wear CI because its my decision.

My question is HOW CAN DEAF PEOPLE TALK TO ANOTHER DEAF PEOPLE WITHOUT SIGN LANGUAGE??? HUH??? Deaf people may not understand with another deaf people's oral.

How to Deaf people talk to hearing people? Same concept. A deaf person raised orally, regardless of whether or not they're implanted, is not likely to interact with the Deaf community any more than your average hearing person would. People raised orally, implanted or not, generally consider themselves to be part of the "hearing world."

Back