Cochlear implants and martial arts

Coclear implants and BJJ/Judo headgear

2.5 years letter a question.
What type of headgear to people with cochlear implants wear for contact sports like Judo/BJJ?

Hi everyone.

I have usher syndrome type IIIA.

I have been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 3 years and it is something I will never stop doing.

I am losing a LOT of hearing..
Communication is now impossible so I need CI surgery.
I was told that you cannot wrestle after CI surgery.

Is this true?
Do I have to sacrifice my favorite hobby?
I'm sure you can just wear headgear but even then I'm told wrestling is strictly forbidden. Headgear is not allowed in competitions when you compete either and that is something I really want to do.

Does anyone know anything about CI and MMA?
I’ve done wrestling for almost 5 years with a cochlear implant so you should be fine I’d wait about a year before doing anything physical.

Coclear implants and BJJ/Judo headgear

2.5 years letter a question.
What type of headgear to people with cochlear implants wear for contact sports like Judo/BJJ?
I honestly say any headgear required for judo or bjj I use regular wrestling headgear for wrestling and I’m just fine.

I honestly say any headgear required for judo or bjj I use regular wrestling headgear for wrestling and I’m just fine.
Hi, came across this post after googling 'MMA with cochlear implant' my 11 year old son has just had a cochlear implant fitted. We were told by the doctor no blows to the head for 2 months after the surgery. however the surgeon (after the procedure) has said no blows to the head at all, had we been told this before we would not have gone through with the procedure. We are giving some thought to having the implant removed as he was upset when we got told this. He was about to start fighting locally for the club.

Is the headgear enough for him to continue?

I was told by our surgeon, CI Center, and by a representative at Cochlear Ltd that the only physical activity/sports limitation is that the device is validated to withstand pressure only up to a depth of 25 meters (82 feet) -- so no deep sea diving at depths lower than that.

Back