Cochlear Implantation benefits

When I say I don't remember struggling to hear as a child, I mean I can remember hearing the teachers speak and understanding without lip-reading, I remember having convos with other kids and not saying 'what' continuously, I remember hearing what they were saying from a distance etc.

This is so not possible nowadays....

I am still petrified about the whole process. Most of the things I've read on about CI are about how children if implanted young, derive the most benefits including post lingually deafened adults.

Myself being born deaf, is just a grayer area about what benefits I can assume to get at the very minimum.... ;/

If you are used to sound, you should get pretty good results.

I have a few friends who were profoundly deaf since birth or early childhood and they just recently got CI (they are 30-40 years old now) .. now they are re-learning to hear, but their results are quite promising, they already hear a bit better than with HAs.

I think you'll do fine :)

phew. thank you. I just wish there was more in the literature about adults born deaf/HOH but wore HA all their lives with lots of benefit... it's making me think 'what am I getting myself into - there's not much information for people with my hearing history?!' lol

Have you looked into anything about folks with progressive losses? B/c I thought there were a REALLY strong percentage of pediatric HOH kids who have progressive losses?

I've heard it's very uncommon for kids to have progressive hearing losses unless they have EVAS

can my loss really be considered a progressive loss? I dunno I've always seen or thought progressive losses as starting off with a mild loss and it kept on going through the different categories of hearing loss mild/moderate/severe/profound etc

can my loss really be considered a progressive loss? I dunno I've always seen or thought progressive losses as starting off with a mild loss and it kept on going through the different categories of hearing loss mild/moderate/severe/profound etc

No, there are all sorts of progressive losses......

haha I don't really know too much about the different ways you can lose hearing! :) Xxx

From my experience at Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section-Toronto.2007.

One can't determine ahead of time what may/will happen when implanted. The reason- each of us is very peculiar on how our brains handle the different imput of sound via Cochlear Implant.

All one can do is be very specfic to the audi on how one is now hearing. The mapping process is very crucial.

That is why one should never compare themselves to anyone else in adjusting to Cochlear Implants..

To reinforce what I commented above: My brother was 16 months younger than me. Also had the same "hearing problems" I had=Sensorineural/genetic.

When I became "bilateral deaf-December 20, 2006" and went through the process at Sunnybrook/Toronto-relativel quickly... He tried about a year later to be examined for Cochlear Implant consideration. Deferrred almost a year as he wasn't actually bilateral deaf-at that point. He became deaf about 6 months later. Thus was finally processed and was suitable for an Implant.

Thus the point-we are all different and Implant team only considers YOU.

phew. thank you. I just wish there was more in the literature about adults born deaf/HOH but wore HA all their lives with lots of benefit... it's making me think 'what am I getting myself into - there's not much information for people with my hearing history?!' lol

Man, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I was born hearing, experienced hearing loss right around the same time I started speaking, but always heard exceptionally well with a hearing aid in my left ear. My right ear was more or less useless. After two additional hearing losses as an adult, I had a cochlear implant surgery for my right ear as a back up, because it was assumed I was likely to lose the rest of my hearing in my left.

Unfortunately, I was not motivated to do much with the implant because I heard so well with the hearing aid, even after the successive losses. And of course, then came the big one that put my left ear squarely in the profound category of hearing loss, to the point where I can't do any of the things I used to be able to do - talk on the phone with family members, listen to the television and play games on my phone simultaneously without missing too much, etc. This all happened just a few days ago.

It is so encouraging to hear that because I do have the sound exposure in my left ear that I may be able to get back to "normal" or even better once I have another implantation done. I don't know if my right ear will ever really reach the same heights I had with my hearing aid, but it makes me feel better that it's not entirely impossible. Just a matter of hard work.

And also, knowing that there's no plateau necessarily for what the implant can achieve also makes me feel better. Thank you!

Back