cochlear implant surgery - Thursday

My cochlear implant was activated Wednesday, June 27th. This is my 5th day into activation. I still have a little bit of hearing in each ear to use with the CI. I wear a hearing aid in the non-implanted ear to give me volume to help train the CI. Before getting the CI, my ability to understand speech even with hearing aids was very distorted. I am noticing a greater clarity with speech now. Each day seems to get a little better for me. On day one of activation, I was getting beeps through the CI. Then it sounded like a musical organ key was mashed each time I spoke or heard someone speaking . That's now progressing to Donald Duck....I am now beginning to understand words through the CI with the voice of that famous duck. It is a lot of work, with a lot of auditory rehab, but I am glad I did this. And I am so happy I can understand speech better.

My cochlear implant was activated Wednesday, June 27th. This is my 5th day into activation. I still have a little bit of hearing in each ear to use with the CI. I wear a hearing aid in the non-implanted ear to give me volume to help train the CI. Before getting the CI, my ability to understand speech even with hearing aids was very distorted. I am noticing a greater clarity with speech now. Each day seems to get a little better for me. On day one of activation, I was getting beeps through the CI. Then it sounded like a musical organ key was mashed each time I spoke or heard someone speaking . That's now progressing to Donald Duck....I am now beginning to understand words through the CI with the voice of that famous duck. It is a lot of work, with a lot of auditory rehab, but I am glad I did this. And I am so happy I can understand speech better.
It will get better and better. It's a lifetime commitment. I've read posts on other forums where people who have had theirs for several years still report ah, ah moments.

It will get better and better. It's a lifetime commitment. I've read posts on other forums where people who have had theirs for several years still report ah, ah moments.

Yes, I am okay with it. Very happy. And I know I have a lot to look forward to. It is exciting! And I love Donald Duck.....:)

Back