Cochlear Implant Life-Long Commitment

sallygally

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My name is Sally and I'm new here.

I wore my Cochlear Implant all the time since 2004 and then I decided to stop using it in 2009 by the time I transferred into deaf school for the first time. I love it very much! Deaf community, ASL and new friends who can understand me better and social opportunities! That time I knew this is where I belong. It is also where I changed my decision about having Cochlear Implant. This is where I choose Deaf over CI.

So I start to think about going back to use Cochlear Implant, so I went to my first appointment ever to see if I can make commitment or not. And start all over again and back to basic. My audiology suggested that I should wear all the time.

In the end, I just wear it whenever I feel like it. But just to be honest, I'm not very passionate about CI, and I could choose to not use it because I don't feel like I have to. I could choose to ask doctor to remove inside piece because I'll always choose Deaf over CI all the time. I could do the best of both worlds but I don't want to.

Do you have any experiences that you could share with me or your opinions that could benefit this? I'm looking forward to see what you have to say.
:wave:

:wave: Hi ! I been wearing a hearing aid for 61 years and I would never give it up. Hearing is very importance to me.

2 years ago I was deaf and told the CI was my only option. I was not 100% sold on the idea because I wanted to see if I regained any hearing at all first as there is no going back. My ENT specialized the the CI and would not even discuss other options. I went to the Deaf Community Center here and wow! They tested a body worn amplifier on me and I could hear! poorly, but enough to realize that ENT was not looking out for my best interests. I went with BTE hearing aids and am so glad because they help with lip reading but I don't wear them all the time as I have no problem being deaf. I understand your thinking. I would not have been happy with the implant. But everybody is different so just think about it for yourself.

Almost reads as an Anti-CI troll post. congratulations on discovering ASL and Deaf Culture. I to would give up CI if I had to choose between ASL and hearing with CI but I don't. I rarely use mine either. Unless the implant is causing a medical problem or had actually failed I doubt any insurance company will cover the cost of an elective removal. So hope you have lots oeff money saved to pay for the procedure yourself if you can find a surgeon willing to do it.
You are also young. Wait till you have a career, maybe hearing kids etc. Then you may decide you want to use it again. It's not starting over if you decide to use it. You will basically pick up where you left off.

Almost reads as an Anti-CI troll post. congratulations on discovering ASL and Deaf Culture. I to would give up CI if I had to choose between ASL and hearing with CI but I don't. I rarely use mine either. Unless the implant is causing a medical problem or had actually failed I doubt any insurance company will cover the cost of an elective removal. So hope you have lots oeff money saved to pay for the procedure yourself if you can find a surgeon willing to do it.
You are also young. Wait till you have a career, maybe hearing kids etc. Then you may decide you want to use it again. It's not starting over if you decide to use it. You will basically pick up where you left off.
I dont know about picking up where they left off, I went deaf for a week and when I put my CI back on, it took a couple days for it to sound normal again. I think, the longer without the ci, the worst it will get as far as going back in time.

I dont know about picking up where they left off, I went deaf for a week and when I put my CI back on, it took a couple days for it to sound normal again. I think, the longer without the ci, the worst it will get as far as going back in time.
Had the opposite experience. I go days, weeks, months and over a year on one side without using it and there is no difference when I put it back on again. Everything sounds like the last time I used it

Had the opposite experience. I go days, weeks, months and over a year on one side without using it and there is no difference when I put it back on again. Everything sounds like the last time I used it
How long have you had yours? Ive had mine since 12/14 and 03/15. Maybe the longer you wear the better it is? Since mine are fairly new.

I guess if you want to limit yourself to living in the deaf world, that is your choice. I choose the hearing world and would not be happy if circumstances forced me into the deaf world.

I guess if you want to limit yourself to living in the deaf world, that is your choice. I choose the hearing world and would not be happy if circumstances forced me into the deaf world.

Gnever know. I found happiness for the first time in my life when I found the Deaf world. Guess you want nothing to do with me because I am a part of the Deaf world, right?

Being in the hearing world only was very limiting for me. Now, I am in both and I am definitely not limited.

Gnever know. I found happiness for the first time in my life when I found the Deaf world. Guess you want nothing to do with me because I am a part of the Deaf world, right?

Being in the hearing world only was very limiting for me. Now, I am in both and I am definitely not limited.

Guess not....no one I know knows sign language so...

2 years ago I was deaf and told the CI was my only option. I was not 100% sold on the idea because I wanted to see if I regained any hearing at all first as there is no going back. My ENT specialized the the CI and would not even discuss other options. I went to the Deaf Community Center here and wow! They tested a body worn amplifier on me and I could hear! poorly, but enough to realize that ENT was not looking out for my best interests. I went with BTE hearing aids and am so glad because they help with lip reading but I don't wear them all the time as I have no problem being deaf. I understand your thinking. I would not have been happy with the implant. But everybody is different so just think about it for yourself.

Are you Deaf or you are saying you were hearing and became deaf?

Your ENT was looking out for your best interests in terms of a solution that would actually enable you to hear. Being able to hear at all with a hearing aid does not mean you are hearing. Before I made the jump to a CI I was still able to hear sound with a hearing aid. The ENT would have been going off your audiogram results. If your speech discrimination is poor to non-existent with a hearing aid in booth testing, they are going to recommend a CI.

If you were born deaf, I understand your choice and none of the following applies to you. If you were hearing until 2 years ago, then it's a whole other can of worms and you cannot declare that you would not have been happy with an implant. Overwhelmingly: CI recipients state the one regret they have about getting a cochlear implant is having put off getting one. If you qualified for an implant and were hearing: you are currently doing the equivalent of dragging yourself around on the ground, declaring "I'm getting around purty good here," after being offered bionic legs that would let you walk again.

I know several people who use a CI, none of them were deaf from birth or early deafened, but when offered the chance at a CI they jumped at it and were very happy with the results. Two of these people have also gone for the second implant and the third person I know has been approved for the second one, but hasn't gone for it yet. They all said it changed their lives for the better and they were grateful they live at a time that offers something to someone who's HA's don't do much for them anymore. However, now you've got me thinking I will have to call them and see if they have any regrets now that they are years into using a CI.

I've had my cochlear implant for almost 2 years (will be 2 years in February) and I can't imagine not having it.
I wore high powered hearing aids for years and they just blasted sound into my deaf ears and gave me headaches. Now, I look forward to putting on my processor every morning.

To the OP, it is your choice. I'm glad you found people you like but you have a gift that will go to waste if it is not used. Wear the implant, it doesn't make you any less Deaf and gives you tools to access the hearing world. Keep its programming up to date. Keep exposing yourself to new and different sounds. Your brain will learn if given a chance.
If anybody says you are any less Deaf for using a cochlear implant, they are flat out wrong and still living in the 1980s. This is a tool and gift you or your parents gave you so that you could choose your place in life.

Hey Guys!

Thank you a lot for sharing your experience and opinion and its help a lot to change my perspective!

I'm so sorry I was gone for sooo long!

I see this come up a lot and I keep asking the same question. How do you support yourself financially as a deaf person without CI? I see you're a student, but what are you going to do beyond that? I can't hear much without my hearing aids and will likely have CIs one day. I have my hearing aids in almost every second I'm awake, even if I'm by myself. To me its important to know what is going on around me.

I get that it may not be for everyone, but in that case I'd like to know what you do for a living. Maybe I need to look into doing that too :wave:

I see this come up a lot and I keep asking the same question. How do you support yourself financially as a deaf person without CI? I see you're a student, but what are you going to do beyond that? I can't hear much without my hearing aids and will likely have CIs one day. I have my hearing aids in almost every second I'm awake, even if I'm by myself. To me its important to know what is going on around me.

I get that it may not be for everyone, but in that case I'd like to know what you do for a living. Maybe I need to look into doing that too :wave:
Being deaf only limits you to sounds.
Just because there is no noise doesnt cause your arms, legs, mind to quit working...unless you are just straight up lazy.
I am late deafened and I can still build stuff without hearing a saw, a hammer... my body is still very able ...and I can still drive?
where does peoples common sense goes? Any of these people ever take science or biology?

I wear hearing aids so it may not apply to me totally. I have known quite a few deaf people who do not or cannot wear hearing aids and/or don't want the CI- many have/had very good jobs, good paying jobs. The only thing needed is appropriate accommodations (by law) such as interpreters for meetings, VRS in some instances. There are ways around communication (which I have also done-- email and/or IM instead of picking up the phone, talking face to face- and using the whiteboard too etc).

In this day and age a deaf person can do just about any job out there with some obvious exceptions due to either safety reasons or unable to meet qualifications like constant use of phone...though even call centers there can be work arounds- assign the deaf person to email "calls" or allow for VRS for voice calls (though I can't really see that happening if there's a stream of calls...:hmm:).

Being deaf only limits you to sounds.
Just because there is no noise doesnt cause your arms, legs, mind to quit working...unless you are just straight up lazy.
I am late deafened and I can still build stuff without hearing a saw, a hammer... my body is still very able ...and I can still drive?
where does peoples common sense goes? Any of these people ever take science or biology?

I used to work in construction as well, but that can be difficult communicating measurements and tasks. I can see it done if you are not self employed where you have to bid jobs and acquire customers. So thank you for providing a relevant example.

I wear hearing aids so it may not apply to me totally. I have known quite a few deaf people who do not or cannot wear hearing aids and/or don't want the CI- many have/had very good jobs, good paying jobs. The only thing needed is appropriate accommodations (by law) such as interpreters for meetings, VRS in some instances. There are ways around communication (which I have also done-- email and/or IM instead of picking up the phone, talking face to face- and using the whiteboard too etc).

In this day and age a deaf person can do just about any job out there with some obvious exceptions due to either safety reasons or unable to meet qualifications like constant use of phone...though even call centers there can be work arounds- assign the deaf person to email "calls" or allow for VRS for voice calls (though I can't really see that happening if there's a stream of calls...:hmm:).

You don't have to disclose who they are or any personal information. Can you say what their job/career is? I'm not saying that its impossible to be employed or find a place as a deaf person, but what are the opportunities. I would like to know what they are, I've looked personally haven't found anything. I still currently hear with hearing aids, but I know some day they won't work for me. It could be tomorrow or 20 years from now, my only hope is that I could function at a similar level that I do now with CIs... at least until my kids are old enough to move out, they're all young right now.

Back