Cochlear Implant Cost

When I get a hospital statement, I would like to know though, if I ever did get it, I'll let you all know, so y'all know what's like :)

Odd that your surgeon doesn't give antibiotics after surgery, not even just for meningitis but also for other possible infections. Did they give antibiotics during your surgery? Now you have to get 2 meningitis vaccines before your surgery.

I just learned something ... there is the drugs listed on my statement I knew what some were but just figured the others were to put me under that I'd never heard of ... I just googled the ones I didn't know and sure enough one of the given to me DURING surgery by IV was Cefazolin used to treat bacterial infections so I guess they did give me something after all but I wasn't aware of it.

For everything including the surgery, the sound processor and stuff - altogether the price of this is $30,000

As the various comments re: Cochlear Implant costs vary with how much one's state/province/ country assists/pays for Cochlear Implants.

Here in Italy: FREE

All pre-op and post-op and surgery for €0.
I backed up one week before the surgery because they were willing to operate on the "good" ear I have left and not to the most severely damaged one. It could have gone wrong and I could have lost my only "good" ear (I am severely deaf in that ear).

Sometimes I even re-think about doing it, but it is just too risky.

Here in Italy: FREE

All pre-op and post-op and surgery for €0.
I backed up one week before the surgery because they were willing to operate on the "good" ear I have left and not to the most severely damaged one. It could have gone wrong and I could have lost my only "good" ear (I am severely deaf in that ear).

Sometimes I even re-think about doing it, but it is just too risky.

Free is different then "not paying for it"...and your taxes pay for it....

Billed charges for my surgery and processor were just shy of $80,000..my cost out of pocket was a little over $500.

The actual cost for my Cochlear Implant operation in 2007 was CDN$55,000.00 Hospital care, audi services ,surgeon fees etc
As I was approved by OHIP-Ontario Health Insurance-my cost zero.

Back