Cochlear Implant Causes Injuries and Death by Electrocution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because ONE person upset you, you use that as a reason to ridicule everybody else who is pro-CI? We all have met people who rub us the wrong way, but to use that as an excuse to dismiss an entire sector of a community is asinine.

If you want to show an attitude - then show it towards the people who show YOU an attitude in real life. Those who are supportive of CI's on this forum have not shown you that kind of attitude, and they in no way,shape,or form deserve this kind of treatment from you.

"The attitude you are carrying now" - just WHAT is that attitude? Because ONE guy upset you - you assume everybody has that perspective? That's like somebody hating all blind/paraplegic/retarded people simply because ONE person upset you - it serves no purpose, and simply makes you look ridiculous.

I hope you take some time to yourself, sit back, take a DEEP breath, and try to get rid of some of the hate YOU seem to want to throw at everybody. It can't be healthy you know.

CI users and/or their family members may not want to be involved at all with the deaf culture due to the damage the minority of the group's members do in their inflammatory actions or words.
and yours aren't?

oh ok. everything in asl and deaf culture is bad.

everything in ci and ethnocentrism is good.

i got it. you know, i wish y'all walk in my shoes for a few kilometers and feel what i felt. you might will understand my skepticism.

Want the truth? Before, I was neutral and somewhat supportive of cochlear implants (only for late-deafened people). It all changed when a guy, a former friend, approached me and rudely demanded that I and everyone else who is Deaf MUST consider getting one. With genuine politeness, I told him I didn't think I need it, but if it works for him, great. It is not for everyone. All of a sudden, he jumped at me and said that I am wrong, belittled my feelings and disrespected me. Then, he ended his spat that he is no longer my friend because I wouldn't get one. It became an embarrassing scene at a Deaf church social. Whoa. I was trying to back off and here he is, jumping down my throat!

Now, that experience was a rude-awakening which made me realize the bad side of CIs. I have seen that "attitude" in SO many people with CIs, who use them daily. I have seen it in some of my former roommates with CIs. I've always respected them first as a person and a human being, until they disrespected me with their attitude and flaunting they could "hear". I am very unimpressed by that behavior. Deny it all you want.

I feel justified for pulling this prank, and I will continue to advocate against CIs on born-Deaf people and children. If the adults want the CIs, by all means, go ahead. I won't hold it against them as long as they don't sport that attitude you are carrying right now!

So, piss off!

First, I never denied anything about the behavior of those CI users that you've come across.

Second, do you honestly think that spewing this type of language is supposed to impress people? Is this supposed to further your cause? It certainly doesn't in my mind.

Honey. I did not base my opinion on just my exwife's experience. I also based it on everyone I know who use or no longer use CIs.

I just want to help parents make a better decision to communicate with their Deaf kids with ASL than to force them to speak and lipread. I did not learn ASL until I was 20 years old. When I finally learned ASL, I felt robbed of my childhood. Learning to speak and lipreading did shit for my self-esteem.

So, I am here to say, "Communicate with your kids with ASL rather than try to fix them as the "easy" way out."

Why don't you LEARN by listening to what the parents of CI-implanted children here say? There are SO MANY who have shared their experiences, and THEY USE SIGN LANGUAGE WITH THEIR IMPLANTED CHILDREN!!!

Instead of relying on heresay and lumping all parents of implanted children into ASL-hating, Deaf Culture destroying monsters, you should take the time to really *listen* (or read) the first-hand experiences that the parents on THIS FORUM are sharing with you!!! Like Cloggy, Mom2Toes, Drew's Dad etc...

No - CI's are not a magic wand, and they are not 100% infallible, but to just assume that everybody who is pro-CI is also anti-ASL is stupid.

So because ONE person upset you, you use that as a reason to ridicule everybody else who is pro-CI? We all have met people who rub us the wrong way, but to use that as an excuse to dismiss an entire sector of a community is asinine.

If you want to show an attitude - then show it towards the people who show YOU an attitude in real life. Those who are supportive of CI's on this forum have not shown you that kind of attitude, and they in no way,shape,or form deserve this kind of treatment from you.

"The attitude you are carrying now" - just WHAT is that attitude? Because ONE guy upset you - you assume everybody has that perspective? That's like somebody hating all blind/paraplegic/retarded people simply because ONE person upset you - it serves no purpose, and simply makes you look ridiculous.

I hope you take some time to yourself, sit back, take a DEEP breath, and try to get rid of some of the hate YOU seem to want to throw at everybody. It can't be healthy you know.

Read the past posts I made. I said more than one sported that attitude. I did not base my opinion on one person, but thanks to him, I was able to see the dark side of CIs as I met more people.

That's great some parents use ASL with their CI-ed children. I truly applaud them.

However, what about when the kids grow up and realize they don't want the CI? How will you handle it then?

I've met many of those kids who stopped wearing CIs in their teens or right after high school. About 10% of them continued to use the CIs. Why waste the money if they aren't going to use it?

P.S. I don't hate people. I just hate the aloof attitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you LEARN by listening to what the parents of CI-implanted children here say? There are SO MANY who have shared their experiences, and THEY USE SIGN LANGUAGE WITH THEIR IMPLANTED CHILDREN!!!

Instead of relying on heresay and lumping all parents of implanted children into ASL-hating, Deaf Culture destroying monsters, you should take the time to really *listen* (or read) the first-hand experiences that the parents on THIS FORUM are sharing with you!!! Like Cloggy, Mom2Toes, Drew's Dad etc...

No - CI's are not a magic wand, and they are not 100% infallible, but to just assume that everybody who is pro-CI is also anti-ASL is stupid.
if such people do exist, i'm willing to drop my skepticism and open my mind to their genuine concerns.

but as far as the experience i got from ci-users -- in person -- i have a hard time to believe. all the message I got from them is asl-hating and look down on me as an inferior for choosing to stay deaf.

Last edited:
Better they have it and not want it - and have had the opportunity to acquire language and use it, than be an adult and want one, and know they missed the opportunity and can't take advantage of it. Parents work in the best interests of their children, and besides - teens *ALWAYS* seem to want to go against what their parents do/did anyway. I will always believe that parents have the right to act in the way they think will best serve their children in the future.

If my parents had the opportunity to implant me and didn't - I'd have been upset.

Sure, there are those who don't like their implants, but all they have to do is stop using them - they never had enough residual hearing to benefit form hearing aids in the first place, so nothing is "lost," and perhaps as they get older they might change their minds.

if such people do exist, i'm willing to drop my skepticism and open my mind to their genuine concerns.

but as far as the experience i got from ci-users -- in person -- i have a hard time to believe. all the message I got from them is asl-hating and look down on me as a inferior for choosing to stay deaf.

:werd:

If you parents want to do the right thing, teach your CI-ed children NOT to carry that attitude.

Remember, I didn't start out this this anger about this problem until a CIer provoked me.

but as far as the experience i got from ci-users -- in person -- i have a hard time to believe. all the message I got from them is asl-hating and look down on me as a inferior for choosing to stay deaf.

Gamer - I encourage you to talk to Cloggy - his daughter has dual implants and she signs - in fact on his blog, he shows his wife and daughter sitting together learning sign language.

There are several parents here who do the same - you can find them by reading some of the other threads in this section.

:werd:

If you parents want to do the right thing, teach your CI-ed children NOT to carry that attitude.

Remember, I didn't start out this this anger about this problem until a CIer provoked me.

But, aren't you simply contributing to a hate-fueled dialogue by allowing just ONE person to annoy you to the point you attack a group as a whole? Its not serving anything except causing more angst.

Better they have it and not want it - and have had the opportunity to acquire language and use it, than be an adult and want one, and know they missed the opportunity and can't take advantage of it. Parents work in the best interests of their children, and besides - teens *ALWAYS* seem to want to go against what their parents do/did anyway. I will always believe that parents have the right to act in the way they think will best serve their children in the future.

If my parents had the opportunity to implant me and didn't - I'd have been upset.

Sure, there are those who don't like their implants, but all they have to do is stop using them - they never had enough residual hearing to benefit form hearing aids in the first place, so nothing is "lost," and perhaps as they get older they might change their minds.

I am offended.

I do have some residual hearing. If I had CI put in and later decided not to use them, I would be completely deaf. "Nothing is 'lost'?!" My God. I have no respect for you now.

But, aren't you simply contributing to a hate-fueled dialogue by allowing just ONE person to annoy you to the point you attack a group as a whole? Its not serving anything except causing more angst.

Can you read?

Go back to my previous posts. I clearly stated that I based this opinion on the people with CIs I have known and met in my life. Not "ONE" person.

neecy, in fact i'm going to post a new thread and bring an issue up. maybe i'll do it tomorrow or this very tonight.

as in response to yours, my skepticism stays but i'll check cloggy out -- whoever he is -- and open my mind - a thin crack-fashioned.

ok that's where i have an issue with. what if a child don't want it at all. would you force your wish upon your child? a different situation - if a child don't want to eat your favorite candy, would you force her to eat it anyway?

i'm not trying to looking for a trouble -- not this time right now -- but i would like to know your take on it.

I don't need CI to learn to understand a language. You're basically saying Deaf people cannot learn anything unless they have CIs implanted in their heads.

--->but with the CI you learn to understand language<---

neecy, can you expand on that implication you made?

Mod Note:

Thread's closed for the time being, under review--

~RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back