"Cochlear Cup" for Rugby. Is this Offensive for Deaf culture and Deaf sports??

Grummer

Reaction score
this is like having 'Hearing Aids Cups' back 30 years ago, would this be too weird??
I emailed to the NZ Deaf Rugby board, saying please reconsider, this is offensive to the Deaf community....

no response yet, but I'm angry as they are trying to trickle down 'tolerance' i mean this is Deaf Sports......there's no room for medical reference , FARKKK!!!

i even said in the email WTF.......

it just absurd......

now , what you think?

would you accept 'Cochlear Cup" for

Deaf American Football at Gallaudet??
really , i mean come on.....

err, botti COCHLEAR CUP??!!
come on.......that's a body parts , a non functioning part of the body thats causes Deafness......and err.....for long time, (im talking prior to the Cochlear implant era- which we live in now) we never used to have 'cochlear' as in non-medical talk in say Sports.....like WTF......

ok
heart foundation for running....its different.....its agreeable because everyone dont want to die from heart attack but no body dies from deafness (aside from botched implant surgery!!)

cochlear isn't agreeable to everyone, and its just arrogant like they assume its OK or use it as a political weapon to pacify the deaf community while making its so important duh

to the untrained eye/ears, cochlear, it isn't promoted in fairness like heart foundation might be in Running events......

it just really annoying...

G

Cochlear is actually the name of the company.

So I don't see it as offensive.. considering here in America we have all kinds of product/company labeled & sponsored bowls (football) and whatever else there is.

yes, duh but cochlear is named after the blooody cochlear and its implant......it doesnt take a genius to work that out......

still why in the hell would a cochlear as company 'give back to deaf community' er n sports?? what is its real motive......

its like buying its way in for approval......

it doesnt seem sensitive to the deaf community.......it can be argued you know....

Yes it can be 'argued' but is it really worth arguing about?
So what if it was named after the cochlea (which is actually the correct term for the ear part) and/or the implant? Would you prefer something like a radio station sponsoring it?

Like Bottesini said- why is it any worse than Deaflympics?

Motive? Money? Awareness? Publicity? Who knows.

Seems me it's just sponsorship and providing money to help promote rugby (or whatever sport), Deaf or not.

it a prize cup, I can see where grum going with this he got good argument if I was rugby fan (I not I hate the game)I would feel offended.NZ Wales and Australia take rugby as national game...it be like blind rugby winning cup called Lens or retainer cup(play on words)it sermantics and could be seen as insulting or patronizing..It down to deaf do something if feel strongly and grum do so fair play to him I hope something comes out of this.

Sounds better than a "Cock-Cup" don'cha think?....:giggle:
The name of that cup they put on you after surgery is called a Glasscock.
It was invented by Dr. Glasscock. What a name, hey put a glasscock on his ear....wow.

If I am not off topic and understand the underlying question, I vaguely remember Deaf Olympic rules banning the wearing of hearing aids while performing in the Deaf Olympics.

If I am not off topic and understand the underlying question, I vaguely remember Deaf Olympic rules banning the wearing of hearing aids while performing in the Deaf Olympics.
yep-

Page 5:
http://www.deaflympics.com/pdf/RegulationsTechnical-SummerDeaflympics.pdf

The use any kind of hearing aid(s)/amplification or external cochlear implant parts is strictly forbidden during Summer Deaflympics events

Participation in the Summer Deaflympics is restricted to persons who are:
Deaf, defined as a hearing loss of at least 55 dB in the better ear (3-*tone frequency average at 500, 1000 and 2000 Hertz, ISO 1964 Standard),
Members of an affiliated National Federation.
Am sure the same would be true of the winter one.

Back