Closed captions outside the US

Eeyore86

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in France and have bought a few American DVDs of TV series that are impossible to get in Europe. My father is hard of hearing and I can’t get the closed captions to show on our TV.

Does anyone know if portable DVD players in the US can show the closed captions ? If so, I thought I could order one online.

If you are using HDMI to watch movies via DVD, you can't use TV CC. You have to turn on CC/subtitle at the source. I would check the DVD menu and see if there is that option available.

If you are using other types of connections, you should be able to use CC like normal.

What type of tv you are using and DVD player are you using?

I use a Scart cable to connect the DVD player to the TV (most modern TVs are no longer equiped with that type of cable). The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL30WE660. The DVD player is a Philips DVP3850 (it was zone 2 but I dezoned it).

There is no option to activate closed captions in the set up menu or on the remote control. I’ve tried connecting the DVD player with composite video too but without success.

I've never seen that kind of cable so I can't help you there.

Sounds like things are totally different there than here in the USA. I hope you are able to find the answers you need.

P.S. I reread your post and remembered one thing I had to do a long time ago. I had a tv that had composite video but CC didn't work but I got a converter that converted composite to cable and CC worked.

Thanks for trying to help. I thought buying a portable DVD player from the US with a screen could be a solution. The screen would be much smaller than the TV but it’s better than nothing. I’ll ask the sellers if CC is available on the portable players.

It is usually the dvd that has the subtitles and hopefully most dvd players supports it. Also if you have dvds that are kind of old they may not have any captioning on it. There are two types of captioning one is CC - Closed Captioning which is from the tv monitor (its usually black background and white words( and the subtitles which are usually in dvds and tends to be more for language as it will show other langauges as well. Some dvds will say subtitled for the hearing imparied or for the deaf and hard of hearing. That will include all the sounds and hopefully music. That is my pet peeve with using plain subtitles as I would love to read the music lyrics! puh.

Have you tried going to the dvd menu and finding the subtitles from there? or check your tv controls for captioning?

I do have a portable dvd player and it does allow you to play subtitles from the dvd if it has them. I am sure if you buy a portable dvd player it should be able to play them. The one I have is by zenith but it's old right now.

Another thing is laptop computers. That is IF there is a DVD player in them. Lots of new laptop computers don't have that anymore. But I found this really handy as it able to play both the old black and white captioning or subtitles.

Hope this helps
Annie

Thanks for your help. The American DVDs I have all have CC but no subtitles in the menu. I have a laptop that displays captions when I change the DVD player to zone 1 so I can use that if I don’t find a solution on my TV.

Back