Class action lawsuit in Canada

Indeed. I'm glad thou that they mentioned that this wasn't a plm exclusive to the Deaf schools.
Kids at reform schools, insistutions.....especially old skool insistutions were abused. I mean remmy all the stuff about remedial violence in Catholic Schools?

Wow! That's bad!

I remembered about the Catholic school... The people won the case for some millions of dollars. We were forced to pay high fee for our car insurance to provide the money to the suers. I didn't know that the insurance companies can charge us more fee for that. What a jerk!

Terrible to read these horror stories about child abuse

It's been a while since this news came out and I was hoping that maybe Banjo can shed some more light on this.....

It's been a while since this news came out and I was hoping that maybe Banjo can shed some more light on this.....

I did look into this, but haven't gotten much of any information on it just yet. I have yet to contact any of my friends who may know something.

It not just Canada that there are sexually and physical abuse to the deaf students it is also across USA too. I lost my case due to the lies and nothing further. It make me mad and now I have suffer lot of abuse and surely dont want to see the stupid nuns ever again.

I am trying my best to move on and enjoy the house that I brought last summer.

This may seem somewhat off-topic, but in my observations from time spent in Canada, Europe, and eastern Asia, the reasons for meager information in those areas is the press being tied more closely to business and government. It isn't "the fourth estate" as in the US.

For instance, this similar piece of recent on-going child-abuse news barely got outside the UK:

JERSEY, Channel Islands (CNN) -- Police are excavating several sites in the grounds of a former children's home on the English Channel island of Jersey as more allegations emerge of child abuse spanning several decades.

Investigators unearthed the body of one child at the home, Haut de la Garenne, this week, and ground-penetrating radar and trained dogs have identified six other sites that police plan to excavate soon.

Of particular interest to search teams will be a hidden bricked-up cellar, which investigators have started to excavate following an all clear from structural survey engineers.

The cellar had been off limits due to concerns it may collapse.
Video Watch as Jersey reels from abuse claims. More than 150 people have told police they suffered abuse at the children's home or other institutions on the island since the discovery.

"We must all fear that more remains will be found," said Stuart Syvret, a local politician.

The authorities plan to resume digging soon at the ex-children's home, where recent allegations have colored the international view of Jersey, which lies close to the French coast but is a dependency of the British crown.

"You'd go to bed at night, sleeping, and all of a sudden your arms would be held down and the next thing you know you're getting raped," recalled Peter Hannaford, who spent the first 12 years of his life at the former children's home.

"You were subject to constant abuse ... It was every night, and you were scared to go to bed."

He wants the old children's home destroyed.

"That building has long been known on this island as a place where young boys were punished severely, where they suffered," he told CNN.

"Many of those boys have grown up to be old men here telling horrible stories of mistreatment. But even they are shocked by what is now being uncovered at Haut de la Garenne."

Another former resident, Ken Lequesne, said he was beaten in the children's home.

"Horrendous," he said. "I can't believe what's gone on in there."

Syvret, the politician, alleged a "long-established culture of covering up alleged abuses." He said "abuse and maltreatment and appalling cruelty to children" has happened on the island for some time -- a claim the local government denies.

Many questions on Jersey remain unanswered, such as whether more gruesome discoveries await and whether anyone will face prison time as a result of the growing scandal.
advertisement

Yet Graham Power, the chief police officer on Jersey, promised a thorough investigation.

"This will be a hard time for Jersey, but when we get it through to the finish, we'll be a better society because of it," he said.

Too bad about Jersey. It was the murdered kids who had "a hard time."

Back