CI's...for those who have gotten them

Cong. Lincia on getting hooked-up on aug 18 :D

I'm finally taking my first test (CT scan, etcetc..) on Oct 12.. yeah oct 12.. it sorta pissed me off cuz its 3 months away and i want it now.. and that's their only very first opening.. anyways.

I'm wondering what kind of questions that i should ask? since i have hundrends or thousands of questions...

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Cong. Lincia on getting hooked-up on aug 18 :D

I'm finally taking my first test (CT scan, etcetc..) on Oct 12.. yeah oct 12.. it sorta pissed me off cuz its 3 months away and i want it now.. and that's their only very first opening.. anyways.

I'm wondering what kind of questions that i should ask? since i have hundrends or thousands of questions...

Hey deafscuba, Thanks so much. I went to see the surgeron today to check the scar. The surgeron is happy with it. I wont see her till Aug 18th before turn it on appt.

You can write it down alot of questions for the audiologist and the surgeron. It helps. I did with mine. They answered my questions that I was expecting. Ask them what kind of c.i. are they going to give you (mine is Necleus 24 Contour). Ask them how long the surgery, how long you can't wash your hair after surgery, how long will the pain go away, Are they going to damage the hearing loss you have left, theres so many questions to ask. I don't remember anymore *chuckles* The most important for you to write it down. So that way you can ask them when you see them. So you wont forget. ;)

Good luck with your tests. Oct 12th is too far away. Wish you have it earlier. Let me know how it goes. :)

Lianca said:
Few years ago, I've thought about having c.i. then I dropped it because that time there were not much information abt c.i. Now, they do have alot and much more tech too. I researched on the internet and asked my friends who have c.i. I also asked the audiologist at the hospital where they provided c.i. I decided to have one. I start going to the hospital for hearing test last April without hearing aid then again in May with hearing aid. Had cat scan in June, had MRI last week July 7th. I also had the meningitis shot from my physical doctor. If no shot then no surgery. The surgeron at the hospital said all reports were all set and made an appt for surgery. I had surgery last Thursday July 15th. I had to stay overnight at the hospital to make sure no naueous and dizzy. If it continues then I had to stay another night but I only had naueous for couple of hours.

I had to be at the hospital at 6:30am and the surgery start at 8:30am. 4 hours later, I woke up and saw the time it said 12:40pm. The first thing I said when I woke up was "I have to throw up" They gave me the pan and I threw up.. ugh! They had tube inside my lung while I was out, and took it out before I woke up. They put me in the recovery room for an hour then put me upstair where they got me a bed by the window.. I kept throwing up then finally it stopped when they gave me the medicine for naueous. My friend Jean with her mother stopped by. Jean knew how I felt. She went through when she was 16 yrs old. I felt so bad that I wasn't a great company when they were there. They did understand. So they stayed for an hour. The surgeron came by to check on me and told me everything was fine. I was relieved. I was worried about my blood pressure. She said it was fine. At night, it was so painful and I was going to cry. They gave me the pain pills without morphine. The pain were stopped. I could sleep well all night long.

Next morning, the surgeron with her medical students stopped by. She asked me if I had dizzy. I said "No, I walked to the bathroom by myself this morning because the nurse said I don't have any dizzy." The surgeron were so happy to hear it. She took the bandage off. That was it. She wants me to stop at her office next week to check up. In couple of hours, I went home and lay down on my bed. It was good to be home with my cats and on my bed. My cats knew I am sick. They slept with me. They "take care of" their mommie.

The surgeron gave me the "Patient Identification Card" That the card I have to carry with me all the time, if I have an accident or was order to have MRI in the future. The card can show the doctor or nurse at the hospital that I have C.I. and also explain to them that they can take the magnet off before I take MRI.

Yesterday, I woke up and felt something leaking. I patted the scar with the tissue and saw few drops of blood. I got worried. My friend Carole (shes hearing) paged the surgeron. The surgeron called back. Carole explained to her about the little blood. The surgeron said that was okay. I felt so relieved it was okay. Later on that night, my cochlea was throbbing so bad. I was in such of pain. I took medication. Finally it calmed down I went to sleep at 4am. I slept every 2 hours. I tried to stay more than 2 hours but I couldn't stay in one position to sleep, it was not comfy. I stay on my left side to sleep and tried so hard to not turn to the right side. I alway sleep on my right but now I couldn't for a while. What a tough. Today, the only pain is my scar. It isn't that bad.

My "Turn it on" appt is on August 18th and 20th.

For a long time I never thought I would get one somehow something got me change my mind and got me one already. :)

Hey, My old buddy, PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lianca,
Congrates for having a CI. Really amazing u got one. Hopefully u like it as well. :thumb:

HelloKittyGal said:
Where did you hear this information? Do you realize that this could be a rumor or a misunderstanding? I have read and read and never heard of anyone dying from a CI brain infection. The CI surgery DOES NOT involve the brain. It's the ear alone that they must open through the mastoid bone which is right behind the ear bypassing the outer and middle ear in order to get the about 3 inch flexible wire through the cochlea. It does NOT involve the brain.

There was a very small incident about last year that a girl died of a meningitis outbreak. They say that if you had meningitis, sometimes the fluid is in the cochlea, and if opened it could spread again and you could get sick again. is also a virus, so it can stay in your body for years before you ever see symptoms, if ever. This stuff did not occur so often. That's why the company started to reimburse anyone who needed the vaccination to prevent this. I had it just to take precaution. It's not an occurrence that happens often.

I am not sure if that's the case that you heard about the boy dying from a brain infection. You know how rumor can sometimes be misinterpreted and the Deaf Community can change the wordings and use brain infection. The brain is not exposed during the operation. It could be that they got sick from meningitis, not a brain infection.

Well, I was in Munich for the weekends last Saturday attend my friend´s 50th birthday party.
The "rumor" what you name is true. I met a lady there told me about brain infection like what Tweentybird said is correct. It affected her friend´s son, too. His brain is damaged. Their parents are very regret for change their 1 years old child into hear. It´s something do with meningitis. Her sad story about boy got me goose pimple..

As far as I know 3 little children were killed by meningitis in 2003. The website was added at DL forum last January 2004. I would of paste my thread with website there to here if DL is still open.

I met CI people there last Saturday. Some of them are happy with them but other not. Every humans have different. One of them said that HA & CI are almost similar. :dunno:
That´s why I think it´s too early to implant baby to toddler because I beleive it´s risk. I believe is from 7 years old children should have CI which it´s safety. I rather to wear my children with HA which it´s more safety until the children are old enough to understand good or bad advantage over CI themselves.

Congrulation Lianca... :D

I´m happy for you & your own decision.

I´m not against your decision because it´s you who choose to have CI.

Liebling:-))) said:
Congrulation Lianca... :D

I´m happy for you & your own decision.

I´m not against your decision because it´s you who choose to have CI.

Thanks Liebling. Thats right since it's my decision and my body. I have a friend is like umm kinda not really support 100 percent, maybe like 55%. I tried to get her understand why I want to have one. She will come up to visit me next week. We can sit and talk to make her understand clearly. Again, Thanks Liebling ;)

Lianca said:
Thanks Liebling. Thats right since it's my decision and my body. I have a friend is like umm kinda not really support 100 percent, maybe like 55%. I tried to get her understand why I want to have one. She will come up to visit me next week. We can sit and talk to make her understand clearly. Again, Thanks Liebling ;)
yeah.. same thing it goes for me some of my friends aren't 100% supportive about my descision.. oh wella.. i'm wondering how u overcome that.. cuz i'll be facing this soon.. some of my friends knows that i'm getting one.. some supportive a big time.. some just kinda wary..

Deafscuba, congrats on your decision and good luck; it will be a long journey of hard work.......best to you. As for questions, I am sure they will give you pamphlets that will tell you many things that will answer most of your questions. You should ask if they will be using facial paralysis monitors.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
yeah.. same thing it goes for me some of my friends aren't 100% supportive about my descision.. oh wella.. i'm wondering how u overcome that.. cuz i'll be facing this soon.. some of my friends knows that i'm getting one.. some supportive a big time.. some just kinda wary..

Well you know I just found out from my friend that there were spread the words abt me having or HAVE c.i.. I was like huh? How did they know? I didnt tell alot of people. I told alot of my hearing friends, maybe couple of deaf friends that I trust very much. I have a feeling that someone that I know from Long Island is AD member that could spread the words. I cannot assume or blame on anyone. Well you know there are alot of Deaf Long Islanders have c.i. I guess they already accept them and I am sure they will accept me. If they dont. It will be their loss. It isnt bother me.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Hey!

You are processing to get thing for test. Yeah the appointment that took forever. I have doctor or the cat scan and stuff to made appointment between 1 and 2 months to wait. Sometime, I asked them is there other way to get test done. So they look other Cat Scan that doctor prefer other place which is kill the time!

I got surgery on July 15th. So my skin where my scar is behind my ear. So No one will see where the scar is. I got Advanced Bionics and I don't see any lump or bump on my head of right. So I am happy with it.

Yes. Important to ask your doctor a question. Today, my face is facial paralysis. It kind of scare me because I can't close my eye shut. So I contact my doctor about this and will see today. The doctor said it from infection that cause muscle swelling. So my doctor want to look all my nerves on the face. So I have to take the pill which it help that my eye can be shut. So the pill itself treatment for my body where there is swelling. Now you hear the negative part. You just have be prepare like this one if that happen. My face is not gone be damaged or forever like that paralysis. My doctor said it happen that case is rare. So I am one of them. :( So it need be take of it as right away to see my doctor today. I can feel my face when I touch my skin.

Will up post after what doctor say that something I learn.

Last edited:
My face is back normal

Doctor said my face is gone be back normal. Since I am taking the pill, it will effect between 24 and 48 hours to get back movement on my face. It caused from fuild between the brain and cochlea that shared the nurvers cord. Now I am okay. :) However.. its scared.

ideafspy said:
Doctor said my face is gone be back normal. Since I am taking the pill, it will effect between 24 and 48 hours to get back movement on my face. It caused from fuild between the brain and cochlea that shared the nurvers cord. Now I am okay. :) However.. its scared.
geez... that's good :D

linaca OMG U deffy are something else, and i respect u entirely, My AIM is in the profile if u want to AIM me and discuss more abt that plus other stuff it won't be long before u do that and hear everything! im happy for ya :)

javapride said:
linaca OMG U deffy are something else, and i respect u entirely, My AIM is in the profile if u want to AIM me and discuss more abt that plus other stuff it won't be long before u do that and hear everything! im happy for ya :)

Thanks Java again :) I just sent you a message at ur PM.

Hey.. I hear alot more than hearing aids. I wore them when I was younger. Now I am benfit from my cochlear implant. Its wonderful and I depend on them now!

Back