CI's...for those who have gotten them

Whitedove, it does sound like you have a very realistic handle on what CIs can and can't do :)
A big issue with CI's is some people don't have as much determination to get used to the new sounds that it brings, and others do. I have never been a quitter, and if I do get the CI, then I am going to fight my annoyances, because I know that I will always get through anything that I set my mind to. That's always been me. Also, I know that I for one, do welcome any new sounds that a new hearing aid brings me, and it is like music to my ears.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. I think it's a little more complicated then that. I mean desire to hear may be a contribuating factor in sucess, but on the other hand...nobody really knows why some people hear wicked well with CI (at mild loss levels) and others can only hear enviromental noises. I think a good thing to do would be to talk to a counselor about your decision to get implanted, and continue seeing them through the time you're learning to hear with the implant. It's great that you're eager to hear with the implant,(and that should help you out a lot!) but PLEASE be cautious. Especially as you say that your non-aidable ear is stone deaf. I know the results from the latest studies might seem impressive, but remember quite a few of those who have been implanted in recent years, had useful residual hearing already and so for them, it was just turning up the volume. Results have been pretty mixed with unaidable losses...not saying that you'll not acheive hoh levels, but just that results have been very mixed. I'm not trying to be negative. I just don't want you to get your hopes up that you'll be able to hear wicked well, and then after years and years of training be frustrated and disappointed by the results.

I'm not going into this expecting to have miraculous results. Like I said before, I have always been skeptical, but I have been having much more of an open mind over the past couple years. I have just realized that I can't always be afraid of trying something, and I will have people who are there to support me and be there for me as I go through this (that is, if I do get the CI). As of right now, all I can do is go in for testing, and see how that goes. I understand that since I haven't heard out of my left ear for a very long time, that it is possible that it will be more difficult for me. I don't just jump into things before thinking them through first, especially with the CI. I am willing to try, instead of always wondering "what if". And if something goes wrong, I will still have my better ear with the hearing aid. Just can't be afraid of something forever, and run away from possible success when there is a chance of it happening.

I understand that since I haven't heard out of my left ear for a very long time, that it is possible that it will be more difficult for me.
Well did you go deaf or were you born or very early deafened? (before one year) That might give you an advantage as people who lost their hearing and still have auditory memory tend to do really well with CI. Those who were born or early deafened have to start from scratch. Ask yourself if you would be satisfied with just hearing at moderate loss levels or severe loss levels with the CI.

That has always been the bigger issue with me, because I was born deaf. I have worn a hearing aid in my right ear all my life, but I still can't use the phone or things like that. The concern that I have always had was that I would have to start from scratch, like u said, but I do want to try. I still don't know yet if I will be able to get the CI for sure, that is why I have to go in for tests later this month. My audiologist that I have worked with for several years now believes that I have a good chance of doing better with a CI. I trust his opinion. So if they say that I can get the CI, then it's an opportunity for trying something that could possibly help me, and I honestly feel that I need to try this for myself.

I just wanted to know ur experiences with CI's and if it has benefited u or not?[/QUOTE]

Got mine last March and had it activated on June 8th. LOVE it! Granted, the world is NOISY but it is amazing how much I am hearing everything with it.

Feel free to look me up if you want information....

You may want to check out my threads in the CI topics. I've said soooo much and it's useless for me to repeat all of this in another thread - plus, I've promised to stay the heck away from easily-heated topics...so...have a look, and if you'd like to talk, please feel free to send me a PM or IM. I did pretty much describe my experiences with my CI. I think I've said about as much as I'll ever say - bottom line is - CI's have their own advantages and disadvantages. Ya need to be 100% prepared and READY before you take a step like that. But go ahead and check out my other threads :)

Good luck, again! :)

Meg, I am really glad to know that u love it! LOL that is what I have gotten from so many others with CIs--the world is noisy. Sure would take getting used to after a while, but something that I would welcome so very much.

Malfoyish, I have seen ur threads about the implant. I am really sorry about the meningitis. The nurse did say something about one reason why they are running tests on me is because there's certain bone structures that can cause meningitis. I know that if I do get the CI, I am opening a door to a world of possibilites--both good and bad things.

Thanks for the replies, u two!! I am always very happy to hear how people are doing with their CI's...personal experience stories from others is always the best information for me.

Thanks for the replies, u two!! I am always very happy to hear how people are doing with their CI's...personal experience stories from others is always the best information for me.[/QUOTE]

White, I did hate it right after they turned it on. I nearly threw it across the floor. I was so sick and nearly passed out. I thought I may have made a gigantic mistake. I was so dizzy and sick for three weeks so the audiologist made me come back on June 8 to try again.

The second try was hugely successful. It is just funny to be able to hear others farts/snorings/burpings/peeing ..these sounds you dont want to hear but you have to take it all - both bad/good noises LOL

All I can suggest is that go into this with realistic expectations.

Meg said:
Thanks for the replies, u two!! I am always very happy to hear how people are doing with their CI's...personal experience stories from others is always the best information for me.

White, I did hate it right after they turned it on. I nearly threw it across the floor. I was so sick and nearly passed out. I thought I may have made a gigantic mistake. I was so dizzy and sick for three weeks so the audiologist made me come back on June 8 to try again.

The second try was hugely successful. It is just funny to be able to hear others farts/snorings/burpings/peeing ..these sounds you dont want to hear but you have to take it all - both bad/good noises LOL

All I can suggest is that go into this with realistic expectations.[/QUOTE]
Really Meg...
can hear farts/snoring/burpings/peeing.. LOL I can't image that If I can hear anything..
I would love to get ci but still scared 4 me due of my highly senstive miragines.. That is my concern about my miragines affect ci nosies high enivorment.. that why..

I thought I could be like to have stick who am I being Deaf.. I do dearly accept Deaf..
I do not againist anyone human beings who got one.. I do not care.. as long I love all everyones as same like human beings.. :thumb:

I thought I could be like to have stick who am I being Deaf.. I do dearly accept Deaf..
I do not againist anyone human beings who got one.. I do not care.. as long I love all everyones as same like human beings.. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Bully, I am still deaf whether I have a CI or not. I am not cured and still use ASL proficiently. It is just one of my tools to communicate in this chaotic world. My daughters already noticed a HUGE improvement in our communication.

That is all I care about - that my daughters are benefitting from me getting a CI. They can do piano lessons with me and know that I am not just sitting there blankly but now I can hear them playing and they are delighted.

LOL Meg, yeah bodily noises...I've heard about that one! I can kinda hear those things with my hearing aid. I am so glad that u are able to communicate better with ur daughters and hear them playing the piano. That must be such a joyous thing for all of u to go through. :)

My friend mentioned that with her CI, she can now hear coke pouring over ice, and that it was incredible.

It is just funny to be able to hear others farts/snorings/burpings/peeing ..
My grandmother says that when I got my first hearing aids I was so amazed at the tinkle sound that pee made.
Bully, I am still deaf whether I have a CI or not. I am not cured and still use ASL proficiently. It is just one of my tools to communicate in this chaotic world
Yes, when you turn it off, you're still deaf...and as a matter of fact in some cases you're deafer then you would be without it b/c you lose your residual hearing.
but I still can't use the phone or things like that.
So? There's something called a TTY/TDD!!!! :) [/QUOTE] The concern that I have always had was that I would have to start from scratch, like u said, but I do want to try. I still don't know yet if I will be able to get the CI for sure, that is why I have to go in for tests later this month.[/QUOTE]
Well ask yourself if you could handle the disappointment if it didn't work as well as hoped. That is probaly my only concern for you. It sucks and is very emoitionally devastating when it doesn't work as well as hoped.

Well ask yourself if you could handle the disappointment if it didn't work as well as hoped. That is probaly my only concern for you. It sucks and is very emoitionally devastating when it doesn't work as well as hoped.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I said you have to go into this with REALISTIC expectations. Not all of us benefit from this...but it does enhance in one way or another for every one of us.

Exactly why I said you have to go into this with REALISTIC expectations. Not all of us benefit from this...but it does enhance in one way or another for every one of us.
I am VERY impressed by the postings here! Finally...no "Oh my gawd it's totally awesome and works well for everyone" type postings that I've seen in other places.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to lose in terms of hearing. I mean your ear is dead, so it's not like you have anything to lose. It sounds like hearing anything would be an improvement....and maybe if it works really well you'll be able to have at least some speech perception in that ear too!

I really appreciate all the honest comments about CI experiences here. I always like to know both the benefits, and the non-benefits, so that I can have an idea of what I should be ready for.

That's right, I would really have nothing to lose by having my left ear implanted, because I haven't even been able to hear out of it for as long as I can remember.

And I know what a TTY is...lol. I have one. :) I just wish I could be able to talk on the phone without having to use a TTY though, because I have always felt uncomfortable having to go through a relay person to talk to someone. Kinda takes the privacy out of it.

Red~Rum said:
WHY - not wear it daily if it helps you alot??? :roll:

Well, I have a good reason for that -- if I wear the CI for longer than at least 4 hours everyday, I get a headache and end up having to take it off to relieve the pressure.
I never had any problems with having any headaches induced by hearing aids, but it does get aggravagated whenever I put on the CI. Weird, I know. :dunno: why it happens.

I just wish I could be able to talk on the phone without having to use a TTY though, because I have always felt uncomfortable having to go through a relay person to talk to someone. Kinda takes the privacy out of it.
I can understand that, but I think talking on the phone is OVERRATED. Besides with the new Voice to text technology the relay will probaly be obsolte in five or ten years, as a TYY will be able to interface with a regular phone.
if I wear the CI for longer than at least 4 hours everyday, I get a headache and end up having to take it off to relieve the pressure.
I never had any problems with having any headaches induced by hearing aids,
Maybe it's due to hearing fatigue or the fact that the CI gives you so much more sound then a hearing aid. Maybe it's due to pure electronic stimulation or whatever.

I don't really think that talking on the phone is overrated. Here at college, I see so many people with cell phones, and I wish that I could call people and talk to them like everyone else does. I would love to be able to call up my best friend whenever, instead of having to go through technology to do it :tears:

whitedove said:
I don't really think that talking on the phone is overrated. Here at college, I see so many people with cell phones, and I wish that I could call people and talk to them like everyone else does. I would love to be able to call up my best friend whenever, instead of having to go through technology to do it :tears:

You're not alone on that one, I do often wish I'll be able to talk on the phone without having to use a TTY or some assisted devices.

I don't really think that talking on the phone is overrated. I would love to be able to call up my best friend whenever, instead of having to go through technology to do it
I can understand that, especially as I've heard horror stories about relay (what a pain it is)..but I hate talking on the phone and avoid it at all costs.

Back