CI 'war' over peace declared

Boult, yeah I know......I was just clarifying. It's related to BSL, but more like spoken British English is related to the dialects of Appalachia/island communties.

Is it time for USA to join with the rest of the World and stop these Anti-CI and Anti-hearing aid things?

From the look of it, it doesn't seem like it going to happen any sooner anyways

:dunno:

There are such things? As anti-CI and HAs?
I never knew that. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
It's that kinda like being a racist? You can't accept
people that have HAs or CI? :dunno:

What is wrong with being Deaf? :dunno:

Boult said:
Yeah... but when I was in England during my Thanksgiving break from work in Netherlands. I could get along with their BSL because I had to look at their expression and lip read them too. I try to remember their ABC you know but they are more interested in ASL than BSL. so one night at deaf club in Reading, they all communicated with me in ASL.

That's interesting. I had a deaf friend from the US stay with me who uses when I was both in the UK and Australia and he couldn't get along with BSL or Auslan at all as he found it so different to ASL. We were going to get a hearing friend of ours who is fluent in Auslan to interpret some church talks for him using Auslan but it didn't work and so we had to use lipreading, speech and notes.

^Angel^ said:
From the look of it, it doesn't seem like it going to happen any sooner anyways

:dunno:
Hearing aids and cochlear implants have been shown to do harm (for example, cochlear implants sometimes have infection problems after surgery and hearing aids have been shown to speed up hearing loss because they amplify sound).

Besides, debates can be fun provided people don't take everything personally.

gnulinuxman said:
Hearing aids and cochlear implants have been shown to do harm (for example, cochlear implants sometimes have infection problems after surgery and hearing aids have been shown to speed up hearing loss because they amplify sound).

Being deaf has been shown to be harmful too! People have been run over unawares of vehicles or trains simply because they didn't hear it (there was a young lady mentioned recently who was killed by a train).

Lest anybody take offense, I'm just making a point that life has risks no matter what you do. Nobody wins in this department. If you go around attempting to take no risks, you might as well look for a coffin and get buried now and be done with it.

gnulinuxman said:

Well, if you are going to use that argument.... Didn't miss deaf have a fatal accident? Couldn't hear the train because she was deaf.

It happens very seldom that a deaf person get's in an accident due to deafness. It's the same with CI. Hardly ever are there problems.

I know people died of menigitis after being implanted. I know there are patients that needed to have the CI removed because things went wrong.
But these are special cases.

I knew about them BEFORE we made the decision regarding our daughter and even though it was in our mind, it was not a reason not to proceed.

So let's stop pulling up examples where CI-patients died and where deaf people get accidents. There are risks everywhere.
A little cut in your finger, the wrong bacteria in the bloodstream and you're dead in 48hrs.

lets focus on positive things about hearing, deafness and CI.

Passivist said:
Hi folks

Been away a while computer issues etc, Here in the old U of K we're pretty much in agreement the anti-CI campaigns by (D)eaf are over :cuddle: . Signs of desperation came via a UK (D)eaf program where in desperation to illicit interest, they claimed the (D)eaf ant-CI campaign ranked alongside Martin Luther King's (Despite the fact CI are widely used now, and it's users accepted here), which was felt that even for the deaf activist was one claim too far.

Is it not time the USA joined with the rest of the World and stopped these Anti-CI and Anti-hearing aid things ? It's hardly showing America as a place where choice is really accepted, and inclusion a norm is it ? The world has moved on (At least for most !), (D)eaf should concentrate on things that are relative to them, since enforced implantation was never an option in the first place. Frankly some of the responses I've read here show quite a low awareness of what CI's actually do and don't too. I read one deafie stating he wouldn't have one because he was afraid rain would 'leak' through the 'hole' :-o

Implanatation will not affect the deaf way in any forseeable way, was it all sour grapes and based on the belief deaf would 'hear' and thus sign and deaf culture would die ? didn't work that way did it ? How long before anti-CI people the world over accept,it was a campaign that they never had any real chance of success winning ?

I understood your post and I like your points. :cheers:

sr171soars said:
Being deaf has been shown to be harmful too! People have been run over unawares of vehicles or trains simply because they didn't hear it (there was a young lady mentioned recently who was killed by a train).

Lest anybody take offense, I'm just making a point that life has risks no matter what you do. Nobody wins in this department. If you go around attempting to take no risks, you might as well look for a coffin and get buried now and be done with it.

But this shouldn't be pointed out only toward some deaf people, if you noticed on news that there are some hearing people do get runs over or get hit by too even small hearing children as well, it not the point of not able to hear but it's not watching where you're going, deaf people don't need to hear in order to get hit by any sort of vehicles or trains, they just need to pay attention on where they're walking or driving...

^Angel^ said:
But this shouldn't be pointed out only toward some deaf people, if you noticed on news that there are some hearing people do get runs over or get hit by too even small hearing children as well, it not the point of not able to hear but it's not watching where you're going, deaf people don't need to hear in order to get hit by any sort of vehicles or trains, they just need to pay attention on where they're walking or driving...

Actually I think that in some ways being deaf gives us an advantage as we realise we are more vulnerable and so there is greater awareness and less complacency. With child safety for example we are fanantical about putting household poisons up high and away. In Australia many homes in our area have a back yard pool but we won't get one because I am concerned that I will not be able to hear a child drowning. It almost happened to one of my nephews (a hearing family) and so I am aware of how easily it can happen even when you have fencing etc.

However I do think that Sr171soars has a point for when we are out and about. One thing that bothers me at the moment is that when driving I cannot hear an ambulance or firetruck. Are there any statistics that show whether deaf people are more or less likely to have accidents when out and about?

^Angel^ said:

I understand what you are saying but I was simply bringing up a counterpoint that HA and CI are risks. I simply brought up the fact without 'em for some is as risky. Bottomline...all of life is a risk and one make choices about what risks they are willing to run. Some have no problem doing bungee-jumping whereas I wouldn't dream of it. On the other hand, I would consider do hang gliding. It depends upon the person.

R2D2 said:
One thing that bothers me at the moment is that when driving I cannot hear an ambulance or firetruck. Are there any statistics that show whether deaf people are more or less likely to have accidents when out and about?

I'm sure there are some somewhere. But I understand from another thread (in AD) that the deaf are pretty safe drivers probably because they have to pay attention more.

sr171soars said:
I understand what you are saying but I was simply bringing up a counterpoint that HA and CI are risks. I simply brought up the fact without 'em for some is as risky. Bottomline...all of life is a risk and one make choices about what risks they are willing to run. Some have no problem doing bungee-jumping whereas I wouldn't dream of it. On the other hand, I would consider do hang gliding. It depends upon the person.

Oh okay, no problem I just thought I would point that out... :dunno:

Back