CI users and the Deaf community

Hmm... I want to reply to this with an intelligent question... but none of the things I'm wondering seem very intelligent. I'll think about this a bit and reply later.

:hmm:

Your partial quote makes it look like this is my opinion.

I am explaining the theory of years past in deaf education, not endorsing it.

Oh, and I was giving a directive, not inviting questions. Read deaf history.

And you originally went there because you were looking for a replacement CI processor for the one your husband lost, right? And you couldn't even get any help with that from them. :( Did you ever get a chance to find anything out about a replacement processor?

Part of it yes, and i want to see everything how kids turn out with CI so i can share with my friends who have deaf kids with pros and cons with the factual information. But i dont have anything about it. I start to think that hearing parents are embarrassed for some reasons.

Oh, by the way, any CI users dont share or are useful about what to do with CI or no exchange about CI information. ONE member here on AD did offer me about CI possible free or small amount of $$ or something but this member stopped responding to me. i dont know why this member offered a CI for me in the first place then this member avoided me now. :dunno2:

Part of it yes, and i want to see everything how kids turn out with CI so i can share with my friends who have deaf kids with pros and cons with the factual information. But i dont have anything about it. I start to think that hearing parents are embarrassed for some reasons.

No, they were just smart enough to keep contentious flaming members out. If only we can do the same here.

Wow JD....and you're postlingally dhh! I do think that even postlingally dhh kids can benifit from deaf school services, as opposed to a minimal accomondations set up. I think that says something!

you know.... thats the first time i've heard of such a word...at first i was completely reading it wrong till i actually went back and looked at it again.... so thanks for makin my brain hurt hehe ;-)

Sometimes i still wish i had better services tho!

Your partial quote makes it look like this is my opinion.

I am explaining the theory of years past in deaf education, not endorsing it.

Oh, and I was giving a directive, not inviting questions. Read deaf history.

I was not suggesting it was an opinion... and my questions weren't about history, they were about how things are now.

I replied, with a :hmm: reply, to show you that I listened to your comment and was thinking about it. I really hate it when I explain something or answer a question, and the person I am saying it to never says anything back. I feel like I wasted my time. I try to make sure if someone explains something to me, I at least let them know that I DID listen to the answer. And since a thousand questions were swimming in my brain, obviously I AM thinking about it.

I'm sorry if I broke quoting etiquette, and if the way I quoted you made it look like you were giving an opinion.

I'm curious... just how much does a CI really help? I know theres no magic pill or anything that would immediately make me be able to hear on the phone or what not. I'm just wondering how this differs from a hearing aid because i can't really see much difference, but how in the world does it help you?

I don't know if i'd be required to take some therapy sessions or some special training or something?

And is it the only implant available because my buddy was saying something about "surgery" to correct a hearing loss like permanently?

I'm curious... just how much does a CI really help? I know theres no magic pill or anything that would immediately make me be able to hear on the phone or what not. I'm just wondering how this differs from a hearing aid because i can't really see much difference, but how in the world does it help you?

I don't know if i'd be required to take some therapy sessions or some special training or something?

And is it the only implant available because my buddy was saying something about "surgery" to correct a hearing loss like permanently?

We have a whole subforum that discusses everyone's experiences with CI's.

You might want to google "Cochlear Implants" and read all about them before asking questions.

Sometimes i still wish i had better services tho!

I hear ya!!!!! Like I think one of the problems with inclusion/mainstreaming/auditory verbal is that it assumes that services are good at ALL mainstream schools. And I hear you. I really do think that if I'd gone to a high school with a dhh program, I prolly would have ended up at Smith or something.

I really do think that if I'd gone to a high school with a dhh program

I did, it's the elementary years that i didn't get much to little service at all.

And jeez... I HAD music class! How was i supposed to follow? =(

I did, it's the elementary years that i didn't get much to little service at all.

And jeez... I HAD music class! How was i supposed to follow? =(

Oh lucky duck with the high school placement at least.
And yeah.....I remember music class, and although I liked listening to music, I still have no clue how to read music. ...and I remember sitting doing a page in my workbook about long and short vowels and syllabels and having no clue what the fuck I was supposed to even be doing.

Back