CI soon...CI friendly only please

I just wanted to talk about a little milestone that I've reached that I'm pleased about.

My old cell phone which I've only ever used for text messages broke so I went shopping for a new one.

I've found a cell phone that works well with my implant and with my telecoil setting I've so far talked to 3 of my friends and also my husband, understanding a lot of what they say. I've never never been able to use a cell phone before and it has blown me away. It sounds as clear as an amplified landline phone. I think I will always be exclusive about who I speak to (i.e. people who I know will be patient and prepared to repeat themselves) but it's nice to know that this can be done.

I think this has become possible through my last map where we increased the volume quite a lot. The first couple of days I felt like my brain was working overtime dealing with the new information and it was quite hard work. But now I'm loving it. I can honestly say that I'm reaching the crossover point now where I'm getting more input than with hearing aids. I'm getting sounds now that were soft with hearing aids but now very noticeable with the implant.

I just wanted to talk about a little milestone that I've reached that I'm pleased about.

My old cell phone which I've only ever used for text messages broke so I went shopping for a new one.

I've found a cell phone that works well with my implant and with my telecoil setting I've so far talked to 3 of my friends and also my husband, understanding a lot of what they say. I've never never been able to use a cell phone before and it has blown me away. It sounds as clear as an amplified landline phone. I think I will always be exclusive about who I speak to (i.e. people who I know will be patient and prepared to repeat themselves) but it's nice to know that this can be done.

I think this has become possible through my last map where we increased the volume quite a lot. The first couple of days I felt like my brain was working overtime dealing with the new information and it was quite hard work. But now I'm loving it. I can honestly say that I'm reaching the crossover point now where I'm getting more input than with hearing aids. I'm getting sounds now that were soft with hearing aids but now very noticeable with the implant.

Great news! Glad to hear you are using a phone...er abeit sparingly. *Whispering* I told you that you would be able to use them! :D

Yea, I know what you mean after changes. I decided a couple of days ago to change my S from 10 to 11. This was after having all the settings the same since March (my first year appt). It is not a really big change but nevertheless enough to throw one off. I can imagine what you are dealing with that it would be a "big" deal.

Keep on trucking!

I had my right ear done on the 16th Oct & I am counting down the days til the 7 & 8th Nov when I get switched on.I am fully prepared for things to sound weird to begin with but I know it will get better.I can't wait to hear things I have never heard or haven't heard in a long time.I'm glad I found this thread,will read it from top to bottom!

I had my right ear done on the 16th Oct & I am counting down the days til the 7 & 8th Nov when I get switched on.I am fully prepared for things to sound weird to begin with but I know it will get better.I can't wait to hear things I have never heard or haven't heard in a long time.I'm glad I found this thread,will read it from top to bottom!

Welcome Ange and congratulations on your surgery. You are just across the ditch from me! My husband was born in Hamilton....

Hoping your switch on goes well! Were you born deaf or hearing?

:welcome:
Glad to see you here, Ange! And I wish you the best on your "turn on" day!

Artoo, glad you're doing so well especially with your cell phone! Soars, guess you're among the "old timers" and keep on guiding the newbies!

Sorry it's been so long with the updates.
I was out of town and one night hours before I was able to go to sleep, I was the raging tinnitus in hearing aid ear, it was so horrible, finally I was able to fall asleep and when I got up that morning and put in my hearing aid, I cdannot hear a thing with it. So I no clue if it's my ear or my hearing aid broke down. So, that forced me to just go all the time with just my implant. This is week 3 without my hearing aid, I'm loving it! I can understand a little bit on the phone, only my hun's family, b/c mine has the thick southern accent. I've been praciting listening to 70s rocks and I am doing okay with it. I'm still learning, I love the beats, I can hear that great lol. I can tell if it's a song I've heard years before, getting there.
I'm running low on batteries, so I got to figure out how to raise the money I need in less than a month. I have insurance that will help with it, but I saw online that you have to pay first and then they reimburse you. I don't have $200 bucks! I'm hoping someone will tells me what they think of the AllDeaf sponsor, their 80 bucks implant batteries.
I really had no new change with my mapping, my audi turned it up louder for me and wants me to keep the 1800 speed for another 6 months.
All in all, I'm happier with my decision getting implant.
I can now finally hear the clothes dryer buzzer in the basement. Now no more going up and down 2 flights of stairs to check if clothes is dry! lol

I got me a myspace page now, send me private message if ya got one too, I wants some friends on my list lol.

Time for me to hit the sack now, have a good night, a good day and a great week everyone!
Stacie

Last edited:
Hey Stacieleigh!

I love your update with the CI - it sounds like you are enjoying it and doing more with it :)

When I read what you said about your hearing aid ear I wondered whether you have suffered a sudden hearing loss in that ear? Did the tinnitus happen exactly when you were not able to hear with your hearing aid? Tinnitus is often a by product of a sudden loss. Next time you go to the audie you might want to ask for a hearing test in that ear to see what has happened as well as to have her examine the hearing aid.

I've heard good things about Microbattery (the AD sponsor). They are among the cheapest around. I'm considering ordering from them next time. If you go for the Zenipower or Powerone brand batteries you won't have any problems.

Thanks!
For the last years, everytime I had the worst tinnitus, I always noticed that I couldn't hear like I used to. I did have the sudden loss, extra 60 db loss. One test in May 06 showed that my hearing loss was in the 90 db loss and then I had another hearing test by the hearing aid vendor a couple months ago, it showed that my loss was in the 115 db loss. So glad I got implanted before that big drop in my hearing. It just kept getting worse, went to tons of doc and they had no explaination as to why, except sudden loss. I'll get tested if they says hearing aid in good shape, right now it's making the time to get there lol. Thanks for the tips on batteries!

Was so excited about you using the cell phone!
Also, my hand cramp up bad using the phone b/c I've never used the phone on my right side before, I was pretty excited, my hand getting the hang of it now lol.

Now I really need to get some sleep lol
Stacie

Hey Stacieleigh!

I love your update with the CI - it sounds like you are enjoying it and doing more with it :)

When I read what you said about your hearing aid ear I wondered whether you have suffered a sudden hearing loss in that ear? Did the tinnitus happen exactly when you were not able to hear with your hearing aid? Tinnitus is often a by product of a sudden loss. Next time you go to the audie you might want to ask for a hearing test in that ear to see what has happened as well as to have her examine the hearing aid.

I've heard good things about Microbattery (the AD sponsor). They are among the cheapest around. I'm considering ordering from them next time. If you go for the Zenipower or Powerone brand batteries you won't have any problems.

Updates :)

Hi! I got new mapping a few weeks ago. I finally got the 900 speed and had him turn up a lot more lol. It is just so freakishly awesome! This mapping has given me my best CI moments! I am understanding speech a whole lot better than I ever imagine I could! I'm whispering back and forth without missing a beat. I still get hangup sometime, confusing one word for another. They quit playing the caption for American Idol on tv and for the past 3 weeks I've watched it without complaints. The birds are going crazy right now at 3 in the morning! Now it's something to get used to hearing all these noises with our window open for some cool breeze. I love it!
It's just too impossible for me to list all the new sounds and new confidence I've found. It's awesome to talk in the car! The CI really has been a huge success for me. I got a hamster last week, she's cute but dang she's more noisy than my yorkie. her wheel squeaks too much. I can live with it. lol
I still sucks with the phone. I just can't seem to find the perfect way to holding it against my ear. that even make sense? Tips be great!
well nighty night for me.

Great to have an update from you Stacieleigh - you sound so rapt with your new program. I'm on 900 hz too - it seems really common for people to prefer slower speeds with the Freedom.

With the phone I mostly use my cell phone because it's a clam shell design - you know the model that flips out. It seems much easier to position the receiver part of the phone over the CI microphone.

Speaking of cell phones - I went and got my VERY FIRST cell phone on Friday!! I got a MotoRazr and it is fantastic, and compatible with my CI. Even after activation I never dreamed I'd get a cell - its awesome!

Speaking of cell phones - I went and got my VERY FIRST cell phone on Friday!! I got a MotoRazr and it is fantastic, and compatible with my CI. Even after activation I never dreamed I'd get a cell - its awesome!

Cool! :)

Glad to hear it. Nice to know you can look like every other cell phone user yapping away ;)

It's been years since I posted on this thread, I loved reading how far I have come. I love love love music! Sounds the best it ever has in my life and enjoy so many varieties that I was never able to "get the sounds". I upgraded to N6 a little over a year ago, I disliked the suppression, had that taken off and then everything sounded so much better. Practicing listening to music all these years was so worth it, my best new favorite thing is hearing bass in the music, like where the hell have you been all of my life~ I'm grateful for what it has given me back and given me way more than I ever knew possible. <3 Happy hearing to everyone!

i took a picture of my head and I am trying to figure out how to put it on here, so bear with me lol if it works great! if not, please help!!! lol
i cropped and cropped and cropped to get it uploaded lol

Cloggy, i noticed your pics, help me out here lol
Oh my that looks rather painful.Stacie im like everybody else here im enjoying reading about your experience,i just had my ct scan to see which ear is better to recieve implant,then I guess they will call me and let me know about surgery. Reading about things you have gone through is helping to prepair me for what i may go through,thank you, and keep updating! !

Oh my that looks rather painful.Stacie im like everybody else here im enjoying reading about your experience,i just had my ct scan to see which ear is better to recieve implant,then I guess they will call me and let me know about surgery. Reading about things you have gone through is helping to prepair me for what i may go through,thank you, and keep updating! !

Good luck!! I hope it all goes great! You won't regret it. :)

Thanks! i just got my surgery date, may 9th, now im really getting nervous,guess im always waiting for the worst to happen,this is so very important to me!

Thanks! i just got my surgery date, may 9th, now i'm really getting nervous,guess im always waiting for the worst to happen,this is so very important to me!
Nervous is the only sensible response to any surgery. Closer to the date you may claim terror and we will all agree you are the most sensible of people. I trust you will get excellent results.

wish you luck, blondi53. i don't ever wear CI in my life. i am happy to be totally deaf in the hearing environment for more than 35 years working at (hearing) company. i don't wear the hearing aids at all. i m happy who am i.

I think this is a gross assumption. You do NOT need sign language to make it in the world. I didn't learn until I was 21, and was able to understand my teachers, and go to meetings etc by lipreading alone.

Why in the WORLD would somebody who does'nt want to learn sign language be considered to not accept their deafness?????? Sign is not a requirement for acceptace of a disability, you know. She said she had no interest - thats her choice. Socialization with the deaf world also isn't a requirement to be happy.

Attitudes like this annoy me.
I totally agree with neecy! I've lived in a small town all my life (64 years) and have met and/or known of exactly 3 deaf people....none of which are people that I am close to. Who would I talk to?? The nearest classes are 40 miles away and, frankly, at this late stage I don't see anyone I'm close to learning it, either.

Back