CI soon...CI friendly only please

Thank you all and yes me too. As I stated before, I used to be hearing.

I was born hearing and then became deaf at 14 years of age. I then got a hearing aid about a year later and that worked well for me until 9 months ago and now I am totally deaf.

It's not about not being able to accept the fact that I am deaf, it is about not being able to accept the fact that without one I will never hear another sound.

These last 9 months in a soundless world has literally driven me nuts. So, I decided to check into the possibility of a CI and now I got the appointment.

And contrary to popular belief, Sweetmind is in no way against the CI itself, she is only against it being implanted in children. Sweetmind and I are friends and she does know I am gonna get a CI and doesn't care. We are friends no matter what. So, please can we have less of that around here?

Stacie, hopefully you continue to update us, especially after activation. I have more invested in this than just a curious how you did. I wanna know what each step was like and blah.

Fragmenter, good luck on your own implantation and do tell us YOUR story firsthand.

greema said:
Stacie -- so glad you got thru the surgery great! I think Fragmenter had told me but I forget how long between the surgery and the activation? For some reason I thought it was the day after surgery...

That depends on the center and the type of incision. They can do it so that you are hooked up the next day (I vaguely remember somebody pointing out a link to a child that had that happen). They really want the incision to be a non-factor for hookup so it doesn't cause problems. I think most adults that at least a week with two weeks or more the standard. I myself had to wait 2 1/2 weeks.

I had a mastoidectomy about a month ago, and it sounds quite a bit like implantation - the incision looks the same, etc. etc. I wonder if that would make it easier to get a CI implanted someday?

Fragmenter said:
That picture makes my feet hurt! How does it feel now?

It feels ok, a little weird, tho. I keep rubbing the shaved spot on my head, hope it grows a lot quicker lol.

ButterflyGirl said:
I can tell that it is healing good but I didn't realize that the cut would be that big.
Hope you are feeling much better by now :)

I didn't realize it was going to be that big either, but it is healing fast and just waiting for the rest of the stitches to dissolve.

Bear said:
Ouch!! I thought the cuts were smaller? The way I seen this described in another thread that it was actually like a micro surgery involving microscopes just to see.

But that cut is way bigger than a microscopic surgery to me. Hope you feel better soon Stacie.

Got my first appointment for a CI on July 11th.

Wish the best of luck yours. It's not so bad, it all depends.
As for feeling better, didn't take long at all.

greema said:
Stacie -- so glad you got thru the surgery great! I think Fragmenter had told me but I forget how long between the surgery and the activation? For some reason I thought it was the day after surgery...

I have to wait four weeks for mine. It all depends, make that one of the question for doctor when fragmentor goes.
Thanks
Stacie

Bear said:
Stacie, hopefully you continue to update us, especially after activation. I have more invested in this than just a curious how you did. I wanna know what each step was like and blah.

QUOTE]

I will keep it updated, just like you, I've researched and read as much as possible on other person's experience on what it's like. Be sur eto let us know how your appt. went...
Stacie

StacieLeigh said:
yup, gonna be weird to hear something out of that ear lol.
You're gonne hear from whereever the processor is..... If the cable is long enough, you could listen in on conversation outside the house, in other rooms...
The possibilities are endless....

How about this.... in a few years... bleutooth.... you could just let your processor lie somewhere and listen in on conversation :whistle:

Cloggy said:
You're gonne hear from whereever the processor is..... If the cable is long enough, you could listen in on conversation outside the house, in other rooms...
The possibilities are endless....

How about this.... in a few years... bleutooth.... you could just let your processor lie somewhere and listen in on conversation :whistle:

I don't know if I could get used to that. One reason the processor is generally around the ear is the natural orientation of incoming sounds to the brain. In other words, any hearing person hears relative to their ears and orients themselves that way. Having a BTE processor on the ear gives you the same idea. Ummm, makes me wonder how the BW processor people manage...I guess they adjust. Just hearing things it would be fine but for trying to figure out where it is coming from...that is a whole different story.

There was an experiment years ago about special glasses that used a prism which "shifted" everything you see to a different location than you would normally see things. At first it was extremely awkward for the users and then they adapted to it. After taking off the glasses, they had to go through the same adjustment all over again.

sr171soars said:
I don't know if I could get used to that. One reason the processor is generally around the ear is the natural orientation of incoming sounds to the brain. In other words, any hearing person hears relative to their ears and orients themselves that way. Having a BTE processor on the ear gives you the same idea. Ummm, makes me wonder how the BW processor people manage...I guess they adjust. Just hearing things it would be fine but for trying to figure out where it is coming from...that is a whole different story.

There was an experiment years ago about special glasses that used a prism which "shifted" everything you see to a different location than you would normally see things. At first it was extremely awkward for the users and then they adapted to it. After taking off the glasses, they had to go through the same adjustment all over again.
as for BWP, the mic is on the headpiece unless using dual mode meaning one on the headpiece and other mic plugged into BWP and placed in center of table ideal for group setting.

in my case, my BTE has two one right on the BTE and one on the tip of a T-Mic which is a earhook with mic at the tip attached to BTE and the mic sit in center of outer ear.

As for Bluetooth, I wouldn't want to use it to communicate with the internal implant. nah... but use Bluetooth for Ipod or etc instead of use wiring so to get a wireless connection to any device to listen like cell phone. I just leave cellphone on belt and when one call, I just press button and my CI BTE can function as Bluetooth headphone eh.

Boult said:
as for BWP, the mic is on the headpiece unless using dual mode meaning one on the headpiece and other mic plugged into BWP and placed in center of table ideal for group setting.

Ah, makes sense now and I should of thought about the mic's placement in regards to the BWP.

I must admit it can be useful to place a mic somewhere like a fly on the wall to hear some interesting things.... :whistle:

Okay my lovelies!

Surgery is scheduled for 11.30-12pm Australian Eastern Standard time tomorrow. So see you on the other side as a CI borgette! :fly: I've been talking about it long enough, now it's time I became one.

R2D2 said:
Surgery is scheduled for 11.30-12pm Australian Eastern Standard time tomorrow. So see you on the other side as a CI borgette! :fly: I've been talking about it long enough, now it's time I became one.

Best of luck!!!! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

R2D2,

Yep, time to "walk the talk"...come and join us to the dark side... :D

Ditto on Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

R2D2 said:
Congrats. I guess you're well on your way becoming your AllDeaf nickname. :) Unless you didn't nickname yourself after a certain famous Star Wars character! ;)

Here's to a successful outcome for your CI procedure.

R2D2 said:
Good luck to R2D2 :thumb:

Back