CI soon...CI friendly only please

Glad to hear it went well!! I'm sorry about the pain, but thankful that you aren't experiencing much now. I too experienced a numb ear for a while until the incision healed. I took the larger bandage off after 48 hours,and the thin strips fell off themselves after about 5 days.

The "metallic" taste in your mouth is something I experienced as well - it goes away with time.

Looking forward to hearing about your switch on!!!!!

StacieLeigh,

Glad to hear from you again... hang in there and keep us informed.

I had a metallic taste that persisted for a few months. It's probably from minimally damaged nerves to the tongue. Fortunately, if it's just a minor damage, the nerves regenerate and you'll regain your taste.

I didn't have much pain after the surgery. Actually, I hardly used any pain killers. The only real pain I experienced was the incision being inflamed - but no pain at all in my inner ear.

Best luck and hope youll do well with the activation.

Gettin' there.....

I'm doing a lot better now, the inner ear pain is not so bad now that tylenols helps alot. The side of my head is really numb along with my ear. The incision looks great, doc did a great job with the stitches, counted 25 lol.
It's just all so weird, a reminder that it's not going to be too long now until my activation date.
Feeling good,
Stacie

Good to "see" you again.
Counting the day's I'm sure.

I don't recall, but how much have you heared before?

Cloggy said:
Good to "see" you again.
Counting the day's I'm sure.

I don't recall, but how much have you heared before?

I did really well with hearing aid for years, my loss at first in my left was 45% and my right was 90%. To me, it's normal hearing lol.
23 more days to go!
Stacie

LOL you need a ticker Stacie! Glad that the pain is continuing to improve. I better stock up on tylernol or Panadol as we call it here.

One of my good friends sent me a package yesterday in preparation for my recovery period. It was full of some of my faves such as hot chocolate sachets, herbal tea, soap and a Sudoku puzzle book. I was so excited to receive it - how sad am I?

R2D2 said:
LOL you need a ticker Stacie! Glad that the pain is continuing to improve. I better stock up on tylernol or Panadol as we call it here.

One of my good friends sent me a package yesterday in preparation for my recovery period. It was full of some of my faves such as hot chocolate sachets, herbal tea, soap and a Sudoku puzzle book. I was so excited to receive it - how sad am I?

Not sad at all!!!! I was so happy to get the new Sudoku book, lmao.
The chocolate won't taste very good like we women loves it. But try and manage to get it all the way over the other side and swallow that way, that's how I can taste my chocolate pudding lol.
LOL, I do need a ticker.......
Itchin' to some more Sudoku....
Stacie

I am sooo addicted to Sudoku. We went away for 2 weeks last year to the beach and I spent most of my time doing them while everyone else was doing the normal beach thing. I can't put it down LOL!

In between surgery and activation I am hoping to meet up with someone I've met online who also as a CI. We are so similar - both born deaf, hearing aids at age 2 and both in our 30s now. She had her CI last year and she said that it sounded so awful when it was switched on that she regretted her decision. But a few months on she absolutely loves it and is thinking of going bilateral. I'd like to meet her so that I get a realistic idea what to expect.

It's a shame you don't live in Australia too (!) I feel a connection with other pre linguals as late deafened people have different challenges.

R2D2 said:
I am sooo addicted to Sudoku. We went away for 2 weeks last year to the beach and I spent most of my time doing them while everyone else was doing the normal beach thing. I can't put it down LOL!.
Same here. Refusing to buy books with so many Sudokus in the newspapers.
Hate it when they somtime put a-symetrical puzzles in there. They might not even know it. Spending 30 minutes to find out that there are multiple solutions.. GRRR

One Week Later......

I feel great and happy that I did this. The supports of my family and my friends have been awesome and still is. I just cannot wait for the day to understand convo with my roommates, I love debating and hearing stories, won't be too long now to do that again, hopefully. I still don't know what to really expect, but so excited to start down that path.

Anyone had trouble with numbness on your head, mine is the whole right side is numb. Not bothering me, just weird lol. Have to have someone to wash my hair b/c I cannot feel around where the cut is and afraid to rub over it.
Three more weeks to go, yay!!!!!

Happy Happy,

Stacie

Cloggy said:
Same here. Refusing to buy books with so many Sudokus in the newspapers.
Hate it when they somtime put a-symetrical puzzles in there. They might not even know it. Spending 30 minutes to find out that there are multiple solutions.. GRRR

Haven't tried that, have to look for it, I'm up for the challenge lol

Thanks for the update...I glad things are going great for you so far.

As for the numbness, no I didn't experience that. I was only numb on the top half of my ear. I don't believe I heard anybody else mentioning that before. A thought...you may want to ask your doctor about that just to be on the safe side.

StacieLeigh said:
Haven't tried that, have to look for it, I'm up for the challenge lol
Good to hear your doing well.

I have some free sudoku software. If I can't figure it out - no guessing! - I enter the puzzle and it will tell me if it is asymetrical.
(You cannot solve an asymetrical puzzle with logic, you will have to assume a value..)

StacieLeigh said:
I feel great and happy that I did this. The supports of my family and my friends have been awesome and still is. I just cannot wait for the day to understand convo with my roommates, I love debating and hearing stories, won't be too long now to do that again, hopefully. I still don't know what to really expect, but so excited to start down that path.

Anyone had trouble with numbness on your head, mine is the whole right side is numb. Not bothering me, just weird lol. Have to have someone to wash my hair b/c I cannot feel around where the cut is and afraid to rub over it.
Three more weeks to go, yay!!!!!

Happy Happy,

Stacie

Thanks for the update Stacie. It sounds like you are raring to go with the switch on.

With the numbness I think it's pretty common with any form of surgery. I remember when I had a caesarean section I felt numb around the area of the incision for several weeks. But it went completely. Hopefully it won't take that long for you.

Thanks for telling us what is happening - it gives those of us behind you an idea of what could be expected.

Audiofuzzy said:
Good luck Stacie :)

I have one question though - you said you didn't want to learn ASL because you would have no one to use it with. Does that mean in your city is no deaf community?

Fuzzy

I haven't read through this whole topic to see if she's answered yet. But to me small town would probably me just that, not city. Probably a population well under 5000. The small town I grew up in had a population of about 850? I knew everyone in my class (graduated 46 actually the largest class that ever graduated from the school up til that time, I also attended in my younger years a school where there were only around 20 kids in my class ) plus lots of kids younger and older.

If you live in a small town no there is not a deaf community.

Stacy, I just wanted to tell you I appreciate your feedback after CI surgery a lot. I have an appointment with the audiologist and surgeon on July 25th so I'm more and more excited each day!

I'm looking forward to your activation day!

Fragmenter said:
Stacy, I just wanted to tell you I appreciate your feedback after CI surgery a lot. I have an appointment with the audiologist and surgeon on July 25th so I'm more and more excited each day!

Wow Fragmenter an exciting development - wishing you all the best with your appointment and assessment for suitability!

How are you doing Stacie?

Fragmenter said:

wow.. wishing you a good luck on that. :thumb:

Back