CI soon...CI friendly only please

R2D2 said:
I went back to the clinic and had my volume bumped back up - aaah that is better, much clearer than before. I was feeling brave that night and picked up the telephone and called my husband. I asked him when he would be coming home that night. To my surprise I heard him say he would be back at 6.30pm. He had just woken up from a nap on the train. It was a short phone call but I was pleased that with my telecoil setting I could hear some of what he said. I don't want to try again for a while in case I was imagining it! I don't think that I will ever totally relax with the phone but it would be nice to get to the stage where I could just be able to make appointments, confirm arrangements etc.

I think you will be using a lot more than you think. ;) Just be patient and you will be surprised...

I know one woman who it was thought she would probably not be able to listen strictly by the CI itself without lipreading. Well, she is using the phone pretty decently now. She surprised me by calling me a month or two ago and caught most everything I said.

Stacie - how are you going? I just re-read your last mail and I just wanted to say that one thing that worked for me in terms of the hair (I have very thick hair) is to wear it in a bun every day. It's boring but at least you don't need to cut it and it smoothes out site so that you can fix the magnet there.

I had my last mapping on Monday and I was feeling adventurous this time and asked my audie to reduce the speed of the program from 1800 hz to 900 hz just to see what it sounds like :eek3: I kept the old program in one of the slots just in case I wanted to go right back to it.

Well I just love the 900 hz speed at the moment. I felt I had reached a plateau with the 1800hz speed and was ready to try something different. With the 900hz I'm hearing new sounds that I missed with the old speed. I also tried my luck with the phone again (strictly hubby only) and chatted with him for 5 minutes using my telecoil setting. It went pretty well.

Best of all, the battery life has more than doubled to about 4 days.

I had my last mapping on Monday and I was feeling adventurous this time and asked my audie to reduce the speed of the program from 1800 hz to 900 hz just to see what it sounds like :eek3: I kept the old program in one of the slots just in case I wanted to go right back to it.

Well I just love the 900 hz speed at the moment. I felt I had reached a plateau with the 1800hz speed and was ready to try something different. With the 900hz I'm hearing new sounds that I missed with the old speed. I also tried my luck with the phone again (strictly hubby only) and chatted with him for 5 minutes using my telecoil setting. It went pretty well.

Best of all, the battery life has more than doubled to about 4 days.

Congrats on the phone call. I told you you would be doing that eventually.

Umm....I might consider that just for that battery life...:D

Everything sounds great for you!
I got new shampoo lol, so it's not as much tangling now lol.
I don't know what my hz is set on, but it seems that my battery is lasting a half day longer lol. I tried the phone a couple of time and the speech is not clear for me, I'll keep trying. But I can hear the dial tone and the other line ringing and hear them talk, but not a lot of sense in what they're saying.

I think I'm doing pretty good, I realized that one of our friends talks fast! I always thought he mumbles all the time, but he's a fast talker! I got about 70% of what he was saying compared to 10% before implant. Another friends I was able to hear him and for years I never knew when he was talking b/c he's a low talker. I'm doing a lot better in social setting, really surprising me. It's not 100%, but it feels awesome to join in convo when I hear something that interest me, lol. I can tell if my hun is coming down the stairs, I hear the door open and hear him limping with his cast (broke his leg!) on the steps. It's still amazing, so glad I went thru with it.
I can't wait to go back in October for new mapping, I want the volume turn up more.
It still doesn't sounds clear, but really improving, I'll get there!
I'm watching an episode of Three's Company right now and I just realized that I can hear Crissy scraping her burnt toast! I've seen this episode so many time and I never heard that before! See, I'm still amazed!
Well, back to my re-runs!
TVLand awesome!
Stacie

Stacie - how are you going? I just re-read your last mail and I just wanted to say that one thing that worked for me in terms of the hair (I have very thick hair) is to wear it in a bun every day. It's boring but at least you don't need to cut it and it smoothes out site so that you can fix the magnet there.

WOW, even though I know it is all possible, I am still amazed by the possibilities of CI.

Thanks for the info..

That's a good progress report Stacie - especially being able to understand Mr Mumbler.

I couldn't understand the phone on the faster program speeds - like you say heard the dial tone but the voices sounded distorted. I noticed a definite improvement coming down. So it may be in the future as your audie further changes your program that this may be possible.

I'm watching an episode of Three's Company right now and I just realized that I can hear Crissy scraping her burnt toast! I've seen this episode so many time and I never heard that before! See, I'm still amazed!
TVLand awesome!
Stacie

Awesome at what you can hear now! :bowdown:
I have been watching TVLand for a long time now to "see" what I had missed all those years ago (like I Love Lucy, The Little House on the Prairie, Three's Company and so forth!) My family think I'm loco but I don't care, I just want to enjoy the oldies AND understand!

I know exactly what you mean, I watch so much of the oldies now b/c of the captions. I love it! My aunt and uncle had gotten a new tv and was fooling around with the menu and came across it and just had to show me the next time I was there. For the first time I was able to understand what was going on on tv shows and movies. I went home the next day and told my parents all about it, few month later they got a new tv for the living room and I lived for it! lol. Took everyone I ever known awhile to get used to it, they're all hearie folks.
Hey you like All in the Family? Before my time, but it's so funny and I just love Edith and Archie lol. The Jeffersons awesome too!
Enough rambling out of me! lol
It was just the first time I've heard someone else says they watch oldies to see what they missed. I don't know any other deafie, I grew up way out in the boondock on a farm lol.
How did your grandson hook-up go? I know you're leaving Friday to be with them. Have a safe trip and a great family time reunion with them! Be sure to spoil your grandkids, that's your job! lol
Stacie

TVLand awesome!
Stacie

Awesome at what you can hear now! :bowdown:
I have been watching TVLand for a long time now to "see" what I had missed all those years ago (like I Love Lucy, The Little House on the Prairie, Three's Company and so forth!) My family think I'm loco but I don't care, I just want to enjoy the oldies AND understand!

I will def. ask my audie next time that I would like to try the lower speed.
You're having great progress report yourself!
Hey, can you hear your whistle? I'll whistle for my doggie and I'm not picking that up at all. I dunno lol. I can pick it up with my HA, just not my processor.
Stacie

That's a good progress report Stacie - especially being able to understand Mr Mumbler.

I couldn't understand the phone on the faster program speeds - like you say heard the dial tone but the voices sounded distorted. I noticed a definite improvement coming down. So it may be in the future as your audie further changes your program that this may be possible.

I will def. ask my audie next time that I would like to try the lower speed.
You're having great progress report yourself!
Hey, can you hear your whistle? I'll whistle for my doggie and I'm not picking that up at all. I dunno lol. I can pick it up with my HA, just not my processor.
Stacie

I just tried to whistle now (it doesn't come easily to me) and yes I could hear it. It sounds like either the volume is down low for you or you could benefit from a lower speed. I noticed every time I changed down a speed I could hear more sounds. I couldn't hear cars at 2400 hz. At 1800 hz I couldn't hear the refrigerator motor but now at 900hz I can and wondering why I missed it.

I heard that sometimes audiologists often start you at the highest speeds to begin with to get the brain fired up and then graduate to lower speeds as time goes on so this may well be what your audie will do anyway.

Speaking of whistling, I can hear it but when I go to the higher pitches, I lose it. That is so frustrating because when you can't hear it...you can't tell what you are doing. I know it works because my kids tell me that they hear it. Another one is the kettle when it whistles at the higher pitch...can't hear that either but I can hear the boiling rush. If that is all I'm missing, I will not worry about it and count my blessings...

Updates.....

I'm still discovering new sounds that I've never picked up before with my HA. I still wear my HA in my other ear, I don't ever want to go back to just hearing out of one ear. My HA is really complimenting my implant, sounds blend in together well and really helps with just listening to convos. I'll test myself by taking my implant off and just listen with my HA, I can barely hear anything and I cannot understand a single word of a convo., how the hell did I manage like that?, I really had no clue that I was that deaf. Just yesterday, I was speaking with my hun's granny, she told me that my speech is so different, that every word I've spoken to her was perfect! This is the woman who always corrected me with my speech, lol, to get such a compliment like that from her was awesome.
I missed being able to use the telephone, so hopefully my next mapping will help with that. I'll update again after my new mapping in Oct., my hun will still be off from work, so he gets to go with me and see how it's done!
Well, gonna stop yakking and play some games!

Stacie

Good update Stacie. Its great that people have made comments about your speech. Best wishes for your next map :)

I relate to what you said about the other hearing aided ear. The CI ear definitely more dominant for sure. I don't know if I am imagining it but the ear with the hearing aid sounds pretty bad to me now! I can't believe I survived on that ear alone for 9 months. It almost makes me wonder if I should go bilateral just to make better use of that ear.

Also just as S171soars predicted my lipreading skills are going to pot! Every time I take off my implant and then talk to my husband I'm forever asking him to repeat what he said. Funny how that happens.

Also just as S171soars predicted my lipreading skills are going to pot! Every time I take off my implant and then talk to my husband I'm forever asking him to repeat what he said. Funny how that happens.

Glad to know that I'm prescient...:D

Yea, my wife doesn't allow to me to lipread with her much anymore... :(

Wow, such fantastic progres.
It's great to read how CI is making such a difference - will all three of you..

Information about . . . . . [m] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my daughter. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . how the ear works . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CI-nonsense . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[/m]

I know exactly what you mean, I watch so much of the oldies now b/c of the captions. I love it! My aunt and uncle had gotten a new tv and was fooling around with the menu and came across it and just had to show me the next time I was there. For the first time I was able to understand what was going on on tv shows and movies. I went home the next day and told my parents all about it, few month later they got a new tv for the living room and I lived for it! lol. Took everyone I ever known awhile to get used to it, they're all hearie folks.
Hey you like All in the Family? Before my time, but it's so funny and I just love Edith and Archie lol. The Jeffersons awesome too!
Enough rambling out of me! lol
It was just the first time I've heard someone else says they watch oldies to see what they missed. I don't know any other deafie, I grew up way out in the boondock on a farm lol.
How did your grandson hook-up go? I know you're leaving Friday to be with them. Have a safe trip and a great family time reunion with them! Be sure to spoil your grandkids, that's your job! lol
Stacie

Stacie, it was really awesome reading of your experiences along with Artoo and SRSoars and others! Cannot wait to hear of Marshall's experiences and see how they parallel with yours!
LOL -- Three's Company was on all last night and I'm still seeing "new" episodes and enjoying watching with close-captions!
Sigh, had an emergency arise and I flew to be with my youngest daughter who was hospitalized in another state and my husband drove to Fragmenter's a day later than originally planned. In a way, it was good for me as I got to spend more time with my newest grandchild -- she turned 6 months old yesterday.
We will see Fragmenter and his family soon (at least we VP a lot so it helps to "see" them!).

Sigh, had an emergency arise and I flew to be with my youngest daughter who was hospitalized in another state and my husband drove to Fragmenter's a day later than originally planned. In a way, it was good for me as I got to spend more time with my newest grandchild -- she turned 6 months old yesterday.
We will see Fragmenter and his family soon (at least we VP a lot so it helps to "see" them!).

Hope your youngest daughter is ok, but I'm glad you got to see your newest grandchild. :)

Thanks, Lucia!

We just vp'd her and I think her little girl is actually realizing it is us on that TV! She just started smiling and laughing! I had her in my arms only a week ago... Cannot wait for them to move here!

Thanks, Lucia!

We just vp'd her and I think her little girl is actually realizing it is us on that TV! She just started smiling and laughing! I had her in my arms only a week ago... Cannot wait for them to move here!

Aw, cute!

Back