CI soon...CI friendly only please

Actually I reckon that my brain has a false concept of what is too loud and what isn't. I was without sound in the implanted ear for 8 months before the CI, due to having recruitment, so I reckon that maybe I will hear cars more when I increase the comfort levels for each electrode over time. After the second mapping a friend of mine commented that I was no longer shouting when I spoke, whereas I remember you saying you whispered right after activation! I can certainly hear my car when driving it though. I reckon cars will come in time though as I am hearing new sounds all the time still.

I think you are correct about it being more the map that you had the first time. Apparently, they are starting you off at a lower threshold and moving you up slowly. It makes sense in your situation.

Yea, I had to whisper. My voice was just too loud and overpowering at the time (day of hookup). By the end of the first week, it wasn't too bad but I still tended to talk quietly.

Guess what? I discovered I can hear cars today! I went for a nice Sunday afternoon walk and I found I can hear them approaching with no effort at all from quite a distance both in front and behind of my vision. It was hard work not to burst into tears on the spot. I could also hear kids at a distance talking to each other and calling out. Also the sound of planes and helicopters approaching at a distance or flying in the sky behind me is easy to pick out and often I have to look for them as they haven't come into my vision yet.

I've also found that in noisy situations such as a busy hall or shopping centre that talking to individual people is easier compared to hearing aids - their voice seems more contrasted against the background noise.

I definitely think that the 1800 herz speed program is working much better for me.

WOW!! New experiences every day. And the end nowhere in sight! :)

Hope you are keeping a diary - or is AllDeaf the diary...

Cloggy said:
WOW!! New experiences every day. And the end nowhere in sight! :)

Hope you are keeping a diary - or is AllDeaf the diary...

No - I'm keeping a separate written diary :). I'm too scared that one day I will log onto Alldeaf to find that it's not there anymore because Alex has had enough of all the argy bargy!

R2D2 said:
Guess what? I discovered I can hear cars today! I went for a nice Sunday afternoon walk and I found I can hear them approaching with no effort at all from quite a distance both in front and behind of my vision. It was hard work not to burst into tears on the spot. I could also hear kids at a distance talking to each other and calling out. Also the sound of planes and helicopters approaching at a distance or flying in the sky behind me is easy to pick out and often I have to look for them as they haven't come into my vision yet.

I've also found that in noisy situations such as a busy hall or shopping centre that talking to individual people is easier compared to hearing aids - their voice seems more contrasted against the background noise.

I definitely think that the 1800 herz speed program is working much better for me.

Awwwright! Way to go. Are they (cars) loud yet? ;)

R2D2 said:

That's great. When I finally got adro put in one of my programs so was able to wear it while out for my daily walk I really liked being able to hear cars coming up behind me. Much better then being startled as they go by. (I walk on a gravel (crushed rock) road) But it is cool hearing the cars on the blacktop road when i'm not really that close to it. :)

I LOVE the confidence I have now if I walk beside the road, now being able to hear the vehicles coming behind me (from quite a ways off!) instead of being surprised by them too!

Updates.....

Hi all....

I'm loving my CI. I noticed that when just wearing my HA, I barely hear the phone ringing, but with the CI and the HA, it's loud and clear. I still can't talk on the phone good, so I'm looking forward to being able to do that before long. I heard the ocean better with my CI, than alone with my HA. I can hear e1 cell phone ring, they all have different ring tone lol. I loved hearing the sea gulls, their calls and their wings flapping above me.
I had an awesome time at the beach, I had a total wipeout with the waves, scared the crap out of me. I hated not being able to hear while I was in the water, I had my roomies hold my hand or be right next to me in the water, I was paranoid of sharks lol, not being able to hear someone screaming about sharks. Our hotel was right on the beach, I was able to hear the waves crashing while I was in our room, pretty cool.
I even went on a Cessna, first time in the air, it was awesome! I loved the nose dive. I want to be a pilot! lol
I couldn't hear no one speak in the plane, the engine was too loud. The view was beautiful! I will be doing that again next time for sure.

So looking foward to my second mapping, 3 more weeks to go!
Stacie

Stacie,

The more things change the more they remain the same...I'm referring to the fact that you can't wear your CI in the water. I just keep my eyes peeled on what is going on around me as I enjoy the ocean. *Sigh* That is the way it always has been...

Glad to see that you are more aware of sounds in your environment. Sounded like you had a great vacation at the ocean... Your second mapping should be a definite improvement. I have a friend who got his CI about three/four weeks ago and he just got his second mapping. Made a big difference for him!

StacieLeigh said:
Hi all....

I'm loving my CI. I noticed that when just wearing my HA, I barely hear the phone ringing, but with the CI and the HA, it's loud and clear. I still can't talk on the phone good, so I'm looking forward to being able to do that before long. I heard the ocean better with my CI, than alone with my HA. I can hear e1 cell phone ring, they all have different ring tone lol. I loved hearing the sea gulls, their calls and their wings flapping above me.
I had an awesome time at the beach, I had a total wipeout with the waves, scared the crap out of me. I hated not being able to hear while I was in the water, I had my roomies hold my hand or be right next to me in the water, I was paranoid of sharks lol, not being able to hear someone screaming about sharks. Our hotel was right on the beach, I was able to hear the waves crashing while I was in our room, pretty cool.
I even went on a Cessna, first time in the air, it was awesome! I loved the nose dive. I want to be a pilot! lol
I couldn't hear no one speak in the plane, the engine was too loud. The view was beautiful! I will be doing that again next time for sure.

Stacie
Awesome! great to hear your ci moments! I am sure your next mappings would be much better or so :cheers:

Stacie I love reading your updats. I too wish I could wear my CI in the water, even though the Freedom is water resistant its far from water PROOF. I DO wear it at the beach though if I'm just wading in the water - I LOVE hearing the waves!

Keep the stories coming - I fly for the first time since having my CI activated this Thursday!.

StacieLeigh said:
Hi all....

Stacie

Wahey!! I just live 30 mins drive from the Pacific ocean but haven't been there yet since my CI. You've just reminded me that I need to go! I remember the last time I went before the CI it was a sad time for me because I couldn't hear the waves crashing down any more and I have always loved the sound of the sea. So it would be interesting to see what it sounds like now.

Sounds like you've had an awesome holiday.

I had a great vacation.
Be sure to post on how it sounds to you now, the waves.
I tried listening to the waves with just my HA, it was so low, like someone splashing in tub. With my HA and CI, the waves sounded so loud and rich, so detail. It's just so hard for me to really describe it, it just sounded beautiful.

I'm practicing with audiobook, The Funhouse by Dean Koontz.
I read the book with it, it's pretty hard still to go without the book, it all sounds mumbo jumbo to me unless I see the words on the page. It's getting better, still unclear, I know the new mapping will help with that. So definately looking forward to listening to the book again after that.

R2D2 said:
Wahey!! I just live 30 mins drive from the Pacific ocean but haven't been there yet since my CI. You've just reminded me that I need to go! I remember the last time I went before the CI it was a sad time for me because I couldn't hear the waves crashing down any more and I have always loved the sound of the sea. So it would be interesting to see what it sounds like now.

Sounds like you've had an awesome holiday.

StacieLeigh said:
I'm practicing with audiobook, The Funhouse by Dean Koontz.
I read the book with it, it's pretty hard still to go without the book, it all sounds mumbo jumbo to me unless I see the words on the page. It's getting better, still unclear, I know the new mapping will help with that. So definately looking forward to listening to the book again after that.

Yes I can't follow it without the book either and I anticipate that if I ever get to that stage it would take months from now. The same with phone usage but I am not stressed because even when I did well with hearing aids those things were difficult to do. My first goal is to get back to the clarity that I had with hearing aids and I see following audio books as a tool to do that. Anything on top of that for me is a bonus.

With lipreading it is much easier to follow conversations with people now compared to before the implant. Even small groups are more doable now than before. And it's nice to actually be able to hear what store assistants are saying to me.

I had my third mapping today and I revved up the volume a lot this time. Even my audie was "are you sure this isn't going to be too loud for you?" but so far it's been fine. The rep from Cochlear was at the office again today and she gave me some exercises to practice recognising different tones in words.

What date is your mapping Stacie? My next one is on 3rd August.

I'm heading in for a re-map today, first time I've been to the audie's office since November of last year, so it should be interesting. I also want to talk to him about some problems I've had with my Freedom, particularly the latex "wrapping/sheath" that covers the wire bundle leading from the processor to the transmitter. For the second time now, the wrapping/sheath has split open to reveal the wires, and I'll had to get a new one. Also for the second time, the display has stopped working properly. Instead of showing "P1 P2 P3 P4" I get just the numbers, the "P" is gone. It happened with one of the processors I used during the trials, too.

neecy said:
I'm heading in for a re-map today, first time I've been to the audie's office since November of last year, so it should be interesting. I also want to talk to him about some problems I've had with my Freedom, particularly the latex "wrapping/sheath" that covers the wire bundle leading from the processor to the transmitter. For the second time now, the wrapping/sheath has split open to reveal the wires, and I'll had to get a new one. Also for the second time, the display has stopped working properly. Instead of showing "P1 P2 P3 P4" I get just the numbers, the "P" is gone. It happened with one of the processors I used during the trials, too.

I heard about (not experience) the transmitter problem from somewhere. I've experienced the LED display problem too. It happened with my "study" model and they replaced it promptly and with my Silver CI and they replaced the power unit promptly. Just remember to send back the old power unit or you will be charged for it. I haven't seen any trouble with my Blue CI yet as I got it six months after my Silver one (In NC, we are supposed to get two)...so it is now it has been about four months now with it.

My Audi mentioned that Cochlear Inc. was having some quality control issues with the LED screen. She said they will eventually get it straightened out. I'm not sure of the transmitter coil. While I can function without the LED since the number of beeps tell you the program, it is still nice to have and thus worth getting replaced. ;)

Had my evaluation yesterday at St Paul's Hospital. Tweaked the maps a bit - not much had to be done, we decided not to re-add any of the 4 electrodes I don't have active, because Dr Pijl thinks the benefit will be minimal, since I've been using these 18 for the last 8 months, and I never really liked the higher frequencies anyway, and since we'd had problems with them in the past, there's the chance that the problems could crop up again so we just left things they way they were, and upped the gain on a couple other ones. Not much change in the maps - things seem to have steadied out and I'm very happy with the results.

I scored 90% on the monosyllabic (single word) comprehension test - which Dr Pijl said was better than HE scores on that test, so I was really happy. But the best was when I scored 99.5% on the sentence recognition test. I was absolutely thrilled!! My hearing just keeps getting better and better.

To put things into perspective, January 2005 they did both tests prior to my surgery, with me using just my hearing aids, and I scored a big fat ZERO % on them.

Life is good!

I doubt if I would score 99.5% on the sentence recognition test. And I'm hearing...

It sounds like you've done exceptionally well Neecy. I haven't even started doing sentence recognition tests with my audie because I'm too chicken at this stage!

I started doing them today with my husband after I realised that I could sometimes hear what he said without looking at hime while I was driving. When we got home he held up a piece of paper in front of his mouth and we did a test. I reckon I probably got 40-50%? But then his voice is familiar to me. With lipreading and the CI together I get about 90% of what's said. I'd say without a CI and only lipreading I would get 60% so already I'm much better off with the CI.

Back