• No

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly Free said:
:applause: exactly my thoughts Cheri!!!! :thumb: well said!

Thank you FlyFree!:angel:

also someone here has mentioned "doctors trying to play God" (paraphrasing as i dont recall word for word cuz i dont remmy WHO it was that mentioned that in the first place) but anyhow -- i DO agree with that person and i personally think its VERY wrong of the doctors and the parents trying to play God and make a deaf child "hearing" to conform to THEIR specificiations qq i think not -- let the child grow older a bit and the child can be included in this decision making -- i dont see how it would harm anything with an older child making his/her decision wanting CI implanted AFTER having done the research, talking with other peers, etc etc and be involved with the decision, in process of implantation and the after process of hearing training, speech training and all that jibe associated with CI implantation -- if the child feels he/she doesnt need CI then the parents should be glad the child chose not to and save the parent's money

now ref to someone here discussing abt health care insurance policies -- i personally think its VERY discriminative of the insurance companies to NOT cover hearing aid/batteries and yet COVER for the invasive surgery!!!!!!!! how dumb are they qq we pay SO much in healthcare and they want the MOST expensive procedure done qq good gawd! if a hearing aid works fine for the child and the child chooses a hearing aid over a CI implantation then so be it! let the child have the hearing aid and it being valued at maybe $2k per hearing aid as opposed to wasting $25k and possibly MORE in the after care and possible future re-surgery to "upgrade" the child when i think its pure BULLSHIT!

Facts About Cochlear Implants.....

(Environmental & practical living issues )
static: radar detector, playgrounds, trampolines, computers, carpeting
pressure: some recommended restrictions such as scuba diving
magnetic: suggested MRI restriction
trauma: some restrictions from rough sports such as football
(Surgical issues )
staph infection (low risk)
vertigo (low risk)
tinnitus, may get worse or improve (low risk)
partial facial nerve paralysis (low risk and if occurs, is typically temporary)
competency of surgeon
if complications, then travel time/cost enter the equation for follow-up care
Insurance and cost issues:
if inadequate insurance, medical costs and device are expensive
processor and accessories are expensive
securing approval from health policy may be time-consuming and aggravating
Less control over prosthetic device, i.e., once a manufacturer’s device is implanted, the implantee has no option but to remain with that device for life, unless the device fails or the implantee elects to pay for another surgery/device.
Loud buzzing sound when implant user is within close proximity to neon lights; interferes with speech signal
Programming issues: dependent on mapper/audiologist
travel and time costs if mapper is not in child’s area
mapping session is time-consuming, boring, and can be expensive
should be re-programmed annually (more often for young children)
programming is not always easy, especially for establishing the comfort levels
changing from one program to another oftentimes involves a temporary setback in one’s discrimination
adapting to a change in strategies is difficult for many people
Wearing a body processor is more problematic than a BTE processor/hearing aid
interferes in the romance department
may be difficult for women when using the bathroom
gets in the way of clothing for many women and may require a different wardrobe
cable wire (cord) sometimes falls off
bodily leaning against something may cause one of the setting controls to move (However, by the end of the year 2001, it is expected that all implant manufacturers will have BTE processors available.)
Processor battery gives no warning that it will "go dead" and may place the implantee in the uncomfortable position of suddenly not being able to hear while engaged in conversation (although the option of having a warning that is audible to everyone within earshot is available, this is not a viable choice for most teens and adults)
Batteries have a dramatically shorter life span than do hearing aid batteries; this can be very inconvenient and more expensive.
If and when the device fails, the implantee may go through a prolonged period of emotional anguish due to not hearing/understanding, at least until the insurance company approves another surgery. Then, after surgical re-implantation, the implantee must go through another month of silence between time of surgery and initial stimulation.
Because residual hearing is typically destroyed upon implantation, the difference between hearing and not hearing (due to device not being used) becomes dramatic; this is "a black‘n’white issue" unless implantee has either another implant or hearing aid in the other ear.
If and when the stimulator (the internal part of device) fails or is damaged, then another surgery may be mandated; each successive surgery carries the additional risk of the electrodes not working as well as before.
Low frequency consonant discrimination for placement cues may be more difficult
We still don’t know the long-term effects of implants, i.e., 30-50 years, and implants may cause bone growth and scarring inside the cochlea.
*can a baby and Young Child handled that?*

Facts about Hearing Aids.....

Greater control over the prosthetic device:
can try different hearing aids to see which is qualitatively preferred, so that user can conceivably purchase a new device every couple of years
can take advantage of new technology as it becomes available (improved earmolds, tubing, telecoils, digital/analog programming strategies)
Greater affordability:
can have a back-up hearing aid (older model) for times when device malfunctions
can afford to buy new device every few years
cost of accessories are minimal
Greater flexibility & accessibility for repairs:
can use hearing aid dispenser or audiologist in just about any neighborhood
can adjust controls on some personal device
Easier maintenance (once the earmold issues are minimized)
visit audiologist/hearing aid dispenser only when the aid malfunctions, which may be rarely or until a new hearing aid is needed/wanted
can easily change the tubing at home
Battery gives a few hours warning that it is "dying" with sufficient time to change batteries at a more convenient time/place.
Retain residual hearing for later optimal hearing aid technology
For those with severe hearing loss, may be greater ease in discriminating of low frequency sounds, e.gs., /m/, /ee/ and may better enjoy bass sounds of music
With an aided severe hearing loss, understanding men on the telephone may be easier as compared to understanding them with a cochlear implant
Hearing aids don’t "mess" with the body’s biology to quite the degree that cochlear implants do; e.g., hearing aids won’t cause scarring or bony growth inside the cochlea.

Limited hearing assistance in high frequency range
Earmolds and their acoustic feedback issues may be repetitive, time-consuming, aggravating
Loud noises are bothersome for those using linear amplification
Hearing aids for those with severe loss need to be fitted carefully, assertively, and well-monitored; securing the appropriate audiologist to accomplish aided thresholds that provide ease in "access to conversational sound" may be difficult in some locations....

*Can a baby or a young Child handled that?*

You Decide what best for your child what are the right Choices... If you think Ci is best for you baby/Child And willing to go full 9 yards then good luck...But Still I believed The Child should make that Choice.. In my heart in my mind..

Ha ha ha. You all make me laugh so hard.

You would without a heartbeat operate so a kid would walk again. I.e. metal in leg, or some operation to make it so that kid would have a near-normal life.
Yet you won't do CI because you all base on hearsay or some rumors you hear from people around (or even here!)

What I find funny is you have no real apparent experience with a kid with CI on YOUR OWN. I have with quite a few CI kids and they are the happiest you can ever see. Of course rthere are a few failures out there. There are always failures with everything you try in life. The important thing is you try. If you never take risks or try, you will miss out. People who do not take risks for the better or the good will never get far in life, FYI.

Some of you -- your thoughts are messed up by your own motivations -- "My kid is deaf, so he/she should be fine without CI. Why bother with all the so and so problems (fake or imagined)?"

You're forgetting the world out there is what your kid needs to go up into and advance in with the least problems. Yes he/she can still learn ASL! There's nothing stopping that!

Tsk.

I agree with all who agree that children need to be implanted as early as possible. I have experienced a lot of them firsthand and can actually understand the reasoning why. And fact/experience has proven it to be true.
Those of you who seem to think it's up to the child apparently have the wrong idea about parenting. But of course, it's up to the parents to do what they want to the child.. HOWEVER YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR FUTURE! So think on that.

Let's make everyone get CIs! Let's end the deaf race! :thumb:

It really depends on the situation -- in some cases, it would be in the child's best interests by having them receive a cochlear implant at an early age due to belief and evidence that best chances in having a high level of comphrension of speech and auditory recognisation....but some will not until they're old enough to decide for themselves whether they want one or not.

I could not believe seeing some comments from parents saying "I rather to wait till my child is at least 7 to understand first before receiving CI"

The naked truth is that toddlers and little children don't really know fully, and idiot parents believe their children knows better than them!!! 7 years old child is not expert, only PARENTS! (except a few!!)

There are lots of things are too COMPILCATED to explain to small children.

I support the decision of parents that make the choice for their offsprings, because these kids are not my responsible, only theirs, and I am not force them to follow my belief. Same with catholic and protestant against each other, like CI vs Hearing Aids, its the world we live in and everyone has different opinions.

I don't know about USA's but in Australia laws, its NOT compulsory to give our babies childhood immunizations for Diptheria/Tetarus/Pertussis/polio vaccine and Meales & Mumps and later Rubella vaccine, because its up to parents, and these makes non-immunization children suffer and miss out alot from school once the chickenpox is outbreak and he/she will be forced to stay home! I signed the form understanding that I am prepared to take the RISK to give my babies jabs knowing it can cause brain damaged and even death, as its very very low risk. The Australian Government try to encourage parents to give their children immunizations, and by the time they are 18 months old, they will cut off some of child support payments if they object immunization!! The sensible parents willing the risk to give their children jabs will receive bonus payments from the Government!!

Again its Parent's choice, end of story!!

Cheri said:
Facts About Cochlear Implants.....

static: radar detector, playgrounds, trampolines, computers, carpeting
pressure: some recommended restrictions such as scuba diving
magnetic: suggested MRI restriction
trauma: some restrictions from rough sports such as football
(Surgical issues )
staph infection (low risk)
vertigo (low risk)
tinnitus, may get worse or improve (low risk)
partial facial nerve paralysis (low risk and if occurs, is typically temporary)
competency of surgeon
if complications, then travel time/cost enter the equation for follow-up care
Insurance and cost issues:
if inadequate insurance, medical costs and device are expensive
processor and accessories are expensive
securing approval from health policy may be time-consuming and aggravating
Less control over prosthetic device, i.e., once a manufacturer’s device is implanted, the implantee has no option but to remain with that device for life, unless the device fails or the implantee elects to pay for another surgery/device.
Loud buzzing sound when implant user is within close proximity to neon lights; interferes with speech signal
Programming issues: dependent on mapper/audiologist
travel and time costs if mapper is not in child’s area
mapping session is time-consuming, boring, and can be expensive
should be re-programmed annually (more often for young children)
programming is not always easy, especially for establishing the comfort levels
changing from one program to another oftentimes involves a temporary setback in one’s discrimination
adapting to a change in strategies is difficult for many people
Wearing a body processor is more problematic than a BTE processor/hearing aid
interferes in the romance department
may be difficult for women when using the bathroom
gets in the way of clothing for many women and may require a different wardrobe
cable wire (cord) sometimes falls off
bodily leaning against something may cause one of the setting controls to move (However, by the end of the year 2001, it is expected that all implant manufacturers will have BTE processors available.)
Processor battery gives no warning that it will "go dead" and may place the implantee in the uncomfortable position of suddenly not being able to hear while engaged in conversation (although the option of having a warning that is audible to everyone within earshot is available, this is not a viable choice for most teens and adults)
Batteries have a dramatically shorter life span than do hearing aid batteries; this can be very inconvenient and more expensive.
If and when the device fails, the implantee may go through a prolonged period of emotional anguish due to not hearing/understanding, at least until the insurance company approves another surgery. Then, after surgical re-implantation, the implantee must go through another month of silence between time of surgery and initial stimulation.
Because residual hearing is typically destroyed upon implantation, the difference between hearing and not hearing (due to device not being used) becomes dramatic; this is "a black‘n’white issue" unless implantee has either another implant or hearing aid in the other ear.
If and when the stimulator (the internal part of device) fails or is damaged, then another surgery may be mandated; each successive surgery carries the additional risk of the electrodes not working as well as before.
Low frequency consonant discrimination for placement cues may be more difficult
We still don’t know the long-term effects of implants, i.e., 30-50 years, and implants may cause bone growth and scarring inside the cochlea.
*can a baby and Young Child handled that?*

I read all your comment about the facts. Well thing has recent changed and they explained me last summer in various just like you have in my mind when I was talking about get cochlear implant.

The cochlea don't normal get bone but they (the doctor) should not give a child or person get cochlear implant who has cochlea grown with bone.

The static thing has improve but there are one brand have not upgrade due the static upcoming (nucleus). Beside; they are working on that static things. About the computer, it not always happen but several just happen depend on what you wear. About the radar detector will not damanged anything but it will erase the information on the BTE. They give you two things: BWP and BTE due the radar detector at airport sometime they force you to walk thru even you have the ID due the high secuity.

About the pressure such a driver should not be a problem at less if you don't swim over 100 ft deeper (Suggust not get it if you love drive with scuba diving)

About the magnetic will not hurt your head or anything. It will just possible damaged their machine or image will not appear correction. Right now they are able MRI on all cochlear implant after Sept 2003 but require to take the magnetic off.

I don't normally agreed who invloved with football while have cochlear implant. I would freak out if someone hit my head and will shout "TIME OUT! IS MY HEAD OKAY?! (CHECKING) It not worth it for your team lost the game.

(Surgical issues )
All those are true expect:
partial facial nerve paralysis came from implant made that happen due high electric. If the cochlear implant failure and they are responible is surgery but not device due 10 years warranty. About the battries for cochlear implant has changed. It used to be 4 hours and now increase to 8 hours which enough for me. It require replacement every 3 years (after Sept 2003). The surger has improve due new project recent release. About the old model that I cannot answer because I heard they are made different than present can be not good news. I believe better surgery during the cold time to prevent sweating due the infection. I heard that will effect your work position to change such can't stand under the sun (myth or fact).

I am not sure and correct. One of the cochlear implant can't upgrading the BWP for implant due must be the same id or product name. Otherwise, require to sugery.

I believe that not good for child or baby due the bone can grow cover the implant and may break it. Plus if your child before 7 years old and will require other surgery for 7 years old to get right sizy due grow ages. Plus they can be confused who they are. So I believe the adult is better because the head bone is almost finish develop to close the top your head of cracke to become smooth such like a bald head.

I am learn what I spoken with my doctor.

However they suppose to exam on your head before they can surgery. If they say "I THINK" don't go over there. just drop it and deal with deafness.

So, are you saying that if my parents had given me CIs when I was little, the first thing I would 'hear' my parents say would be, "I love you more because you can hear better!"???

Think again, it's screwed up. What's wrong with parents loving the children regardless of their handicaps, disabilities and/or deafness? I prefer my parents to love me no matter what, than to focus on what is wrong with me! Growing up, I have had some experiences with my parents where it was clear that they were trying to "fix" me. It came to the point that they have been trying too hard with doctor appointments, audiologists and hearing aids. I never had a lot of fun with my parents because they really put too much energy on making me speak perfectly and not allowing me to have a normal childhood. It put a bad strain on our relationship as soon and parents! It won't be any different with cochlear implants. If my parents did put cochlear implants, I would be fucking pissed! Too many parents have this misconception that buying hearing aids or cochlear implants automatically makes their Deaf child(ren) obligated to do what the parents want them to do, having to live their lives through the parents' dreams, realities and high expectations. It has come to the point where life as a Deaf child with hearing aids/cochlear implants reeks of verbal, emotional abuse and near-slavery!

My final point: It is MORE important for me to be understood and loved than to be able to hear and feel "broken"!

Last edited by a moderator:
RedRum said:
I could not believe seeing some comments from parents saying "I rather to wait till my child is at least 7 to understand first before receiving CI"

The naked truth is that toddlers and little children don't really know fully, and idiot parents believe their children knows better than them!!! 7 years old child is not expert, only PARENTS! (except a few!!)

Again its Parent's choice, end of story!!

Ok, you support parents' choices, AS LONG AS they do not choose to let their children decide, is that it?

AIDS is the worse for the little babies/children than CI. And, of course CI sometimes give some health problems, but think about AIDS ... AIDS is the worse painful than CI, because AIDS cut the babies/children's life short than young children who wear CI. Parents will be able to see CI children for a very long time...except those little babies/children who have AIDS. Parents will not be able to see their AIDS babies/children very long. The reason I said this is because, of what I am readin' Cheri's post with all the list of health problems. So..umm...I am against CI, of course... but, when it comes for other parents who want to make their own decisions for their own kids to wear CI, the parents are puttin' it like a "coat" to "cover naked". That's what the parents are seein' in it when it comes to "naked". But, to compare with AIDS babies...that's the worse than CI children, because all you can see "death" in AIDS, not CI in the eyes of ours except for the cause when the health problem discussed. I can see the both sides ... CI and AIDS. CI and AIDS are a BIG difference.
*Exhalin'* ... So, ummm what do you see in between CI and AIDS ? Do you see anything in between CI and AIDS that might give a little bit better ? :)

RedRum said:
The one thing most people seem to forget is that as "Parents" we make decisions for our children every day about schools they attend, what they eat, who they visit, medical decisions with dental or if they require to visit a doctor etc. With CI. its the same. Our decision influences our children!!! All the decisions we make are in the best interests of our children and our childrens future and you would not base these decisions on hearsay, you would learn the facts. There seems to be much anger and confusion in the deaf community re CI. Is it because they fear there children will be different from them? The age of the child should not be to young, I agree but leaving it until they are too old could also cause problems. A reasonable decision needs to be made and this is once again, up to the parents.

Parents always do what they think is best!!!

Well, please don't say it's "off topic" but I like to give you the example why I let my children to choose themselves what they want CI or not.
I don't believe to have the right decision what the best interest for my child but love & respect, also upbrings limit, too but with dentals, doctors, school etc appointments is different.
Some of parents make such bad decisions because they think is best for their children. That's why I wouldn't do it because I don't know how my baby to small children feel, like what Cheri said. Logical the babies & small children up to 6 years old can't decide themselves what they want, that's why I rather wait until they are old enough to understand. I support their decision from 7 years to.... old instead of wait till 18 years old because I love them & want to see them happy.
I'm not change my baby's bodies by an operation because I don't know either they like it or not but help them to do right way like wear hearing aid, glass, prosthesis etc. Brenden, the prosthesis is not an implant like hearing aid, glass etc.
I'm not decide what the children eat but share our suggestion before I'm going to prepare.
We went to restaurants sometimes for the treat but I'm not choose what my children eat but let them to choose. I support their choice if they are not sure what it's good or not then give them the suggestions.
My children are welcome to share their opinions/discussion with me what they like or not. They also share what I like to eat, too.
I wouldn't do something without ask their permission but ask first before do something.
REMEMBER: The children have the same feeling as adults, too. That's why I'm concern their feelings instead of think what do the best for them.
I read the newspapers over the parents who think what the best interest for their children drive them to suicide.
One of many stories, I never forget is: True story around 15 years ago 16 years old girl want to study to become Vet but her parents object her wish & want her to become doctor or lawyer (I'm not sure which one) to follow her father's generation. Her father is well-known in the area where I live. A lot of arguments to drive her suicide. She left a goodbye letter to her parents said:
"I decide to end my life because I can't bear it anymore.
It's very sad that you can't change me what I want.
I can't bear it anymore.
Now I'm decide to end my life.
I want you know I love you & thank you for everything."
She let the train to run over to end her life.

Can you explain me how to get my 8 years old son to have an operation to correct his floppy ears because he is under 18 years old? Is it because I am a parent who has the right to have decision to do the best for the children under 18 years old? Oh No! I rather to leave my children to choose what they like.
like what I said: I can't see anything wrong with having CI implanted as long as the child want or not because it's their bodies, not mine. I support their decision from 7 years old.
Those examples are the same with CI!!!!
I would like to remember you that:
Every parents made the mistakes sometimes.
Every children are right about their opinions sometimes.
Every doctors made of course the mistakes sometimes.
Nobody are prefect.

That's an exactly why I rather wait till the children are old enough. I'm also collecting people's opinions as the same as the children collect their people's opinions, too. I believe is what we collecting the experiences before we doing something.

P.S. The children has the right to say NO & can go to Youth Social Worker because of those children protection law. They are on the children´s side to against their parents´s decision. Super!!! As you see that a lot of children had been suffered by their parent´s decision because they can´t accept their wish.
Please remember that the children have the feeling. Please think twice.
This is your CHOICE if you think what you doing right.
That's all what I have my opinion & also my feeling, too. It stay with me.

CyberRed said:
AIDS is the worse for the little babies/children than CI. And, of course CI sometimes give some health problems, but think about AIDS ... AIDS is the worse painful than CI, because AIDS cut the babies/children's life short than young children who wear CI. Parents will be able to see CI children for a very long time...except those little babies/children who have AIDS. Parents will not be able to see their AIDS babies/children very long. The reason I said this is because, of what I am readin' Cheri's post with all the list of health problems. So..umm...I am against CI, of course... but, when it comes for other parents who want to make their own decisions for their own kids to wear CI, the parents are puttin' it like a "coat" to "cover naked". That's what the parents are seein' in it when it comes to "naked". But, to compare with AIDS babies...that's the worse than CI children, because all you can see "death" in AIDS, not CI in the eyes of ours except for the cause when the health problem discussed. I can see the both sides ... CI and AIDS. CI and AIDS are a BIG difference.
*Exhalin'* ... So, ummm what do you see in between CI and AIDS ? Do you see anything in between CI and AIDS that might give a little bit better ? :)

:confused:
Where did this AIDS topic come from?! We are talking about hearing aids and cochlear implants!

RedRum said:
I wish I had the chance for operation, however when I applied they told me I couldn't because I had been deaf all my life and there would be too many years of learning!!!
Interesting.
Why can't they implanted you when you want it? The WaterRat's doctor might agree to implant you when you visit her doctor? I read some of her forums that she received the CI at 3 years ago in your country.
As you see that every doctors have the different views of implant the people like what I said in the previous topic that the doctor here implanted a 55 years old lady.
Try WaterRat's doctor?

Deaf258 said:
:confused:
Where did this AIDS topic come from?! We are talking about hearing aids and cochlear implants!

I know. I am just sharin' my views about health issues when Cheri brought up about CI that it caused children to suffer... so, what I am tryin' to say is that the "AIDS" is worse than hearin' aids/CI when Cheri brought up about the health issues that are involved CI. I know it's a little bit off topic, but it's just that my view is what I am seein' in children between CI and AIDS. That's all... :)

kuifje75 said:
Ok, you support parents' choices, AS LONG AS they do not choose to let their children decide, is that it?

I am not going to interfered with other parents, as everyone's entitled to their own opinions. It is between them.

I support my own children's and listen to them because they are my responsibity. no one else !

RedRum said:
I am not going to interfered with other parents, as everyone's entitled to their own opinions. It is between them.

I support my own children's and listen to them because they are my responsibity. no one else !

Exactly, there are too many people who interfere with parents' decisions in their children's lives.

The worst part is, they refuse to learn about the technology, so how can a person keep an open mind on the subject?

CyberRed said:
I know. I am just sharin' my views about health issues when Cheri brought up about CI that it caused children to suffer... so, what I am tryin' to say is that the "AIDS" is worse than hearin' aids/CI when Cheri brought up about the health issues that are involved CI. I know it's a little bit off topic, but it's just that my view is what I am seein' in children between CI and AIDS. That's all... :)

Absolutely Correct!...
I understand what you mean :cool:

Liebling:-))) said:
Interesting.
Why can't they implanted you when you want it? The WaterRat's doctor might agree to implant you when you visit her doctor? I read some of her forums that she received the CI at 3 years ago in your country.
As you see that every doctors have the different views of implant the people like what I said in the previous topic that the doctor here implanted a 55 years old lady.
Try WaterRat's doctor?

Yes, I went to the same hospital, and went through some tests and they decided I wasn't suitable for this operation! oh bother! :cool:

CyberRed said:

I have no clue what u talking about.. I did not make up this thread.. So I Did not bring up Ci into this.. I have no clue what or where u getting this information from... U lost me here.. Aids has nothing to do with Ci or having hearing aids.. we talking about way totally different view here.. Aids is something else..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back