CI Moments

That's so cool! I hope that by the time you start college you are all ready to go. Do they have a loop system in most of the lecture halls?

No loop system - my understanding is that t those are much more common in Commonwealth nations than the US, for whatever reason (you're an Aussie, right?)

But I use an FM system, so I get a similar effect. And a few of the larger lecture halls have had the professor's microphone system outfitted with an FM transmitter/receiver that I can plug my system into, which simplifies things. Although they did make the mistake in a few lecture halls of installing infrared-based systems rather than radio (nothing wrong with IR in the right situation, but the lecture halls in questions have students sitting around tables, and not always facing in the same direction - oops).

Fun sort of moment - my sweetie's truck has a built-in DVD player in the ceiling, and his son was watching The Family Guy DVD's the other day while we drove to the beach. I was actually able to understand a good 95% or more of the dialogue, even though there were no captions!

No loop system - my understanding is that t those are much more common in Commonwealth nations than the US, for whatever reason (you're an Aussie, right?)

I didn't know that - interesting. Yes I encountered them a lot in the UK like in the movie theatres and also in Australia. I did have my own personal FM system while at university but the good thing about having a loop system is that all the microphones within the loop can be clearly heard. So you can have several speakers e.g. in a debate.

My nice CI moment is being able to have a conversation with my four year old daughter while driving the car at night and with her sitting in the back seat.

Cool CI moment - I just completed a cross-country train trip (Seattle - Boston) and about 80% of the time, I was able to understand the announcements the conductor gave over the public address system regarding meal times in the diner cars, stops we were making, time of arrival to different destinations, etc. I also had a wonderful time talking to a bunch of people who sat next to me and whom I sat with in the diner car. It was such a wonderful experience because I KNOW that if it had been pre-CI, I'd have kept to myself and not tried to talk to anybody. It was wonderful making new friends, and several of the people who began the journey with me in Seattle were with all the way to Boston, which included 3 different trains. Everybody was SO nice!

neecy,

That's great, how long did it take you to go cross country? Did you ever read Henry Kisor's book about his travels on the Zephyr from Chicago to the West Coast? A great read but I do not know if its in print any longer.
Rick

Rick - It took me 3 days. I've not read that book - perhaps I'll try to find it at a used bookstore before I head back to BC next month.

Just talked to my cousin Barbra!

Talked to my cousin Barbara. She's my mother's cousin but she's also the only cousin that I have. I am amazed that I was able to understand her so easily as I only see her twice a year at best. We just spent 15 mintues on the phone! I didn't even use the tcoil or the microphone. I have never ever called her before. I just wish I could have spoken to her mother who is my great aunt Ruth. :( She died a few years ago.

Talked to my cousin Barbara. She's my mother's cousin but she's also the only cousin that I have. I am amazed that I was able to understand her so easily as I only see her twice a year at best. We just spent 15 mintues on the phone! I didn't even use the tcoil or the microphone. I have never ever called her before. I just wish I could have spoken to her mother who is my great aunt Ruth. :( She died a few years ago.

Wow, that is excellent progress considering that you never used the phone before the implant and have only been activated a few months. :) Just wait until you get the telecoil mic for your CI! Even more clear.

I have that. I just wanted to see how well I could do without it. Yeah, it's even clearer. It's my understanding the t-coil is used under noisy conditions. My apt is quiet as long as there are no firetrucks, cops or amblances about.

WOW that is wonderful especially since you only see a couple of times a year. I am so sorry about your aunt.

My daughter has always worn a hearing aide on one side and then gor implant on the other side when she was 10. One day about 2 months after being turn on she was standing at the door. She said mom what is that noise. I look and saw the birds in tree. I pointed to her and told her it is birds. She WOW mom I never heard them with me hearing aids.
Another time we are at the beach. We live California we are sun worshippers. After getting her implant, we are at beach, she said was is tha noise. I told her it was the waves. She said Oh My God that sounds so cool mom

:tears: That's what I said to my mom the day after I received my hearing aids, except I said, "Wow, the birds sure are singing today!" She, I guess, never realized I couldn't hear even the birds singing.

I have that. I just wanted to see how well I could do without it. Yeah, it's even clearer. It's my understanding the t-coil is used under noisy conditions. My apt is quiet as long as there are no firetrucks, cops or amblances about.

My daughter for some reason does not like the t-coil, she likes to talk on the phone the regular way.

My daughter for some reason does not like the t-coil, she likes to talk on the phone the regular way.

I agree with her. :) I rarely use the tcoil. Never used it when I had my HA's, just didn't like the way it worked/sounded.

I think I have mention this before but as a mother it is such a wonderful gift that my children are able to use the telephone. As a mother we know when our children are sad, scared, or happy just by the tone of their voice. Recently when my children were away for a week, I was so worried that my daughter would not enjoy herself because she did not want to go on this camp. I talked her into. To be able to talk her and hear how happy she was was such a gift. I will always be grateful to their implants for giving me this gift of being able to talk to them on the phone when they are not with me.

If it applies, try having the audiologist create a t-coil only program. Its usually not effective when its mixed with other active microphones.

This is my first post. I had bilateral CI on the 19th of July and activation on the 10th of August. My life changed the moment they turned it on. I could hear my child saying to the side, mommy it is a miracle. When I realized I could hear out of my right ear - really hear not the I'm faking it. Right now I am sitting here listening to my husband's ipod enjoying music.

My CI moment is that I am a 5th grade teacher and the small group was talking about what we are eating for dinner tonight. In a small tiny voice, my tyk said chicken - I turned to him and said no chicken I'm making nachos. He cracked up because I did hear him. I taught him 4 years ago in 2nd grade when I could not hear well! He told me it is amazing, but he had to straighten up or he would get in trouble.

Each day I used to get up and pray that I could just make out what people said to me. Now I wake up and thank God for the blessing of being about enjoy the beautiful sounds of the world.

Welcome Vallee! Great to hear that the CIs are making your job much easier for you. Did you have both CIs implanted in the same surgery or sequentially? Were you born deaf or did you lose your hearing unexpectedly?

Back