CI Moments

I've always loved the sound of a motorcycle too!!!

I had a fun CI moment on Thursday - I went in for my yearly re-map with my Audie, and we did a couple single-word recognition tests.

I remembered when I was going through the evaluations to see if I could get a CI, and I had to do this test, and with my hearing aids I could understand NOTHING. Since I had to say SOMETHING, I kept going through lists of words I made up - colors, animals, places, things....it was so weird. Then on Thursday I did it again and used the exact same word list - and I missed ONE word!!! Absolutely amazing to go from zero comprehension to 99%!!!! I also got 100% on sentence comprehension.

That is awesome, Neecy!

I had several ci moments this morning. I was able to make out words in some of the songs I was listening to and I can even make out new events. I heard something about a wildfire burning up 800 acres. I assume the boardcaster was referring to the Franklin County, Washington wildfire as this one sounds most like the report I heard on the radio and the weather reports says it could get as hot as 99 degrees today! Time to crank up the AC.

My children are both on the cross country team at their high school. Yesterday I was talking to my son's coach asking him if maybe he thought my son might need an aide to make sure he understood what was being said at the team meeting he said no. He said the other day he told the team that Victor was deaf to make sure he was facing them when they were talking to him. The next day the coach told one of the boys to tap Victor he wanted him to hear what he was saying. He boy said what is he deaf. The coach yeah, I told you. He said no he is not not deaf I was just talking to him and we were both talking and he hear everything I said. It felt so nice so good for me to know that my son was able to have a conversation with another boy in park with other kids talking all around him.

Whoa!

On my first day after activation I was amazed to be able to understand quite a bit of what I was hearing on the Car Radio. I had a Talk Radio Station on and It has been a long time since I have been able to understand what was being said. I also now know why it is called a mouse CLICK :giggle:

On my first day after activation I was amazed to be able to understand quite a bit of what I was hearing on the Car Radio. I had a Talk Radio Station on and It has been a long time since I have been able to understand what was being said. I also now know why it is called a mouse CLICK :giggle:

It is amazing what one can hear isn't it.

I never realized prior to my implant that a computer was so darn noisy. :)

Wow, I didn't realise you had already been activated! So you're happy so far? No regrets?

R2D2, I have no regrets! I am already better off hearing wise. I am a happy camper.

Some pleasant and not so pleasant CI moments

Today I bought some diet pepsi and it occurred to me that no one ever asks me if I'm hearing impaired any more when I say what as I usually get it the second time around. I'm told that I sound normal except that I speak more slowly than most.

When I was leaving UNC after my third map, I heard on the radio that there was an accident on I-85. I also heard that there was another accident in Cary. I really hoped that the accident wasn't in the south bound direction and it wasn't till I heard it the 3rd time that I realized it had happened in the northbound section of I-85.

It seems that it happened in both directions on I-40/I-85 in both east bound and west bound directions according to reports on accidents but there's nothing about it happening on I-85 itself. Nor is there any report of accidents in Cary.

:) I can tell you love that radio Deafskeptic! It does help to know what is going on when you are travelling about, especially with last minute changes, traffic hold ups etc.

And it's great not to have to say "what?" quite so often anymore! :) Much less concentration needed!

Pool moment...

My latest pool CI moment...

Recently, I was at the pool soaking in some rays. I heard something I had never heard before, even with the HA. I kept hearing it again and again, for the sound really stood out above anything else.

My youngest son was with me at the time and I asked him what I was hearing. He told me it was a cicada. I knew what cicadas were but I never knew just how LOUD they could be!!

I remember the first time I heard it with the CI, that I was thinking it was SO loud! It was kinda annoying to hear it so constantly over and over. But I realized over time on different days, I got used to the sound and it wouldn't stand out above other sounds as much! Cicadas are great to listen to! :)

That is awesome!

That reminds me of one of my first CI moments. I remember watching birds at my parents' farm and I wondered what that fluttering sound was and it slowly dawned on me that I was hearing birds flapping wings as they took off in fight.

That is awesome!

That reminds me of one of my first CI moments. I remember watching birds at my parents' farm and I wondered what that fluttering sound was and it slowly dawned on me that I was hearing birds flapping wings as they took off in fight.

That's one of my favourite sounds too :)

Cool CI moment - I just completed a cross-country train trip (Seattle - Boston) and about 80% of the time, I was able to understand the announcements the conductor gave over the public address system regarding meal times in the diner cars, stops we were making, time of arrival to different destinations, etc. I also had a wonderful time talking to a bunch of people who sat next to me and whom I sat with in the diner car. It was such a wonderful experience because I KNOW that if it had been pre-CI, I'd have kept to myself and not tried to talk to anybody. It was wonderful making new friends, and several of the people who began the journey with me in Seattle were with all the way to Boston, which included 3 different trains. Everybody was SO nice!

I heard some sounds that sounded very much like water but as far as I could tell there was no running water and that I had not forgotten to turn off the the faucet. It sounded sort of like static too.

It took me several minutes to realize that what I was hearing was pouring rain. It's pouring right now and it's thundering right now and I see flashes of lightening and I'm hearing thunder as well.

I heard some sounds that sounded very much like water but as far as I could tell there was no running water and that I had not forgotten to turn off the the faucet. It sounded sort of like static too.

It took me several minutes to realize that what I was hearing was pouring rain. It's pouring right now and it's thundering right now and I see flashes of lightening and I'm hearing thunder as well.

:) I love the sound of rain. Hopefully, you were inside when this storm passed by!

I've been on for almost exactly two weeks now, and just had my second mapping (yeah, it's early - we're rushing things a bit because I'm going back to college soon. And my rehab therapist thinks I'm moving quickly, so yay.) I switched from the HiRes-S strategy to HiRes-P (sequential to pulsatile - so, firing multiple electrodes simultaneously rather than one at a time). HUGE difference! And all of a sudden, now I have a sense of pitch - enough that I heard my brother's laptop playing Yellow Submarine in the next room over.

I've been on for almost exactly two weeks now, and just had my second mapping (yeah, it's early - we're rushing things a bit because I'm going back to college soon. And my rehab therapist thinks I'm moving quickly, so yay.) I switched from the HiRes-S strategy to HiRes-P (sequential to pulsatile - so, firing multiple electrodes simultaneously rather than one at a time). HUGE difference! And all of a sudden, now I have a sense of pitch - enough that I heard my brother's laptop playing Yellow Submarine in the next room over.

That's so cool! I hope that by the time you start college you are all ready to go. Do they have a loop system in most of the lecture halls?

Hi, I have a geat CI moment. Last week my kids went away to a cross country camp. It was the first time they have been away from home. My daughter really didn't want to go because only hearing kids were going. She ended up having so much fun. She really bonded with the girls. She said everyone was so nice and made sure to wake her up on time. It was so great for me because since they both do so well with their implants, I could talk to them on the phone everyday. I could hear how happy they were on the phone. It was not just simple talk we had. We would be on the phone for well over 15 minutes. At one point I told my daughter you see I told you you would have fun. She said yeah mom I having fun but not fun fun. As a mom it is so wonderful and soothing to be able to talk to them on the phone when they are not close to home. I can hear in their voices how they really are doing.

I remember when my kids first heard thunder. They yelled and said what was that. I did to explain to them. They were amazed.

Hi, I have a geat CI moment. Last week my kids went away to a cross country camp. It was the first time they have been away from home. My daughter really didn't want to go because only hearing kids were going. She ended up having so much fun. She really bonded with the girls. She said everyone was so nice and made sure to wake her up on time. It was so great for me because since they both do so well with their implants, I could talk to them on the phone everyday. I could hear how happy they were on the phone. It was not just simple talk we had. We would be on the phone for well over 15 minutes. At one point I told my daughter you see I told you you would have fun. She said yeah mom I having fun but not fun fun. As a mom it is so wonderful and soothing to be able to talk to them on the phone when they are not close to home. I can hear in their voices how they really are doing.

Yeah, it's really awesome to be able to use the phone with your family. I"ll have to call my sisters, my brother and my mother's cousin this weekend. I've never ever spoken to any of them via the phone in my life.

Back