CI in Deaf school

SSnow98

Reaction score
I go to TSD and I saw my school Audi this past week saying I could qualify for CIs. I used to wear hearing aids up until late last year due to developing an allergy to the molds after 16 years of wearing them..
I want to hear something so I guess I want to get it, but since I used hearing aids before I know it will be totally different sound. I love music so I'm worried about that.
Also being in a Deaf school there are mixed feelings. There are a lot of kids that have CI and are wearing them even it's their choice. But most of them got it done when they are young and would advise against getting them done now. Also teachers are kinda not agreeing too, surprisingly the two I talked to are hearing.
So for me it feels like an all or nothing kinda thing

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

I think they key thing here is that YOU want to hear. There are many just like you who took the CI plunge and they are loving it! It won't necessarily be a totally different sound. Some have described it as what they heard with a hearing aid plus more. You may find your music enjoyment enhanced. Late-deafened tend to find their CI hearing experienced as natural and can forget they are even deaf.

The teachers you mention aren't people to put any stock in. They are not CI professionals or users. I've gotten some of the most ignorant comments from those who work in Deaf Ed when it comes to CIs.

I was very worried about losing music, too. At the same time, it wasn't like I was going to enjoy it anymore with the failing hearing I had. There were glimmers of it with the fluctuating that gave false hope, but my listening was severely limited. The CI gave me so much more that I wished I had done it years sooner. If you have nothing to lose and you want to hear, go for it!

Do as much research as possible so you know what to expect. Talk to others like you who took the plunge...those who actually used their remaining hearing heavily while a HA user, not those who thought a CI was a magic bullet that would re-wire their brain from being Deaf to otherwise who'd go around leaving their hearing aids in a drawer. You will need to leave your CI processor on during waking hours. Yes, there are those who take it off for periods of time, but they do hurt themselves. The brain is constantly listening and rewiring to optimize the input so trying to be a part-time CI user hurts that process. Approach the CI as an adventure with no set expectations beyond some help with speech reading so you don't have to work as hard.

I regret that I waited so long to get implanted. If I had a CI while I was in college it would have made my life a LOT easier.

I regreted to wait so long until I got ci at 27 years old. That is different between adults and children with CIs.

Back