CI and tinnitus

Lysander

Reaction score
I have a friend who is pretty severely hoh and is considering a CI. He is stating that one of the benefits is that the CI will get rid of the maddening tinnitus he has. Has anyone else found this to be true? Or have a different experience.

Of course, it's different for different people. For me, I once went a year without wearing HA and had tinnitus after few months of not wearing them. I finally put them on and my tinnitus went away. It is possible that CI might get rid of it. If not, I would think it'll mask it while wearing it but the hard part is taking them off.

No guarantees a CI will get rid of the tinnitus. I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, and getting my CIs didn't change that, I still have tinnitus. Mostly I experience it when it's quiet around me or if I don't have my processors on.

Totally agree with meggers...
I have had loud tinnitus most of my life. A CI, sorta like hearing aids bring in sounds you focus on.
Because of this you don't hear the tinnitus until you take the CI off, then it is back.
Some claim the tinnitus goes away completely, not my case....
BUT!
I hear so much clearer with the CI and with it on tinnitus is not there. I do hear it in my non-CI ear constantly.
but I ignore it...
Hope this helps.

After being implanted it made mine much worse. Very loud. If I had not had tinnitus most of my life then I dont think I would have been able to handle it.

Back