CI and Migraines...

No it not migraine , I have a head injury

Oh, sorry, I assumed you had one b/c you said "it feel like I had been kicked on the side of my head today".
Because one who never ever had any in life before, may start getting migraine suddenly from an injury,
I thought that's what you were referring too.

Fuzzy

Are you consider to get CI? I had a migraine from bad medicine cause headache affect wear hearing aids. I took it off for rest of brain and take a medicine to get rid of sympton in few hours and sleep and let eyes rest. I had first migraine when I was 19 years old at once time then 22 years old. I haven't get migraine for long times. I got my first CI in 2009 at 27 half years old. Sometime I have a headache from stress and not eat well or withdraw coffee with caffeine. And plus deal with my son'scrying, screaming, and whining. It made me headache. But I had to switch power off for a minutes until he is calm down then turn on. That is good thing that I can hear my son's voice and singing.

No I don't have yet, I am going for an assessment, and thank you for you input.
I am glad you are happy with your CI, able to hear your son's voice :)

When your young son is screaming, whining, crying - which is considered a serious migraine trigger- are you able to turn the volume down down down?

Fuzzy

Hey My girlfriend is have troubleshooting worse cochlear implant. She attending doctor Cochlear implant and ENT and Neurology already. She pill take 3 advil. But Unfornately. I am very not sure. She is very sick not well. She want to remove implant or not sure whether. She is worse last year 1 well I figure out hard tell you have reduce eye brightness also you prevent to eye too much on iphone or object something bright to too much heachache is worse. affect. not sure. Do you have stress on body your headache. do you have must to tell Doctor treatment migrance help medication hope be you. I have ADHD is very some migrance attack . I went to university IV help for me reduce headache. It is nothing wrong... I know cochlear implant is very difficult high loud. is very complication. I know is very really complication..

No I don't have yet, I am going for an assessment, and thank you for you input.
I am glad you are happy with your CI, able to hear your son's voice :)

When your young son is screaming, whining, crying - which is considered a serious migraine trigger- are you able to turn the volume down down down?

Fuzzy
The biggest difference btwn hearing aids and cochlear implants is that with a cochlear implant, the sound seems super quiet compared to the head rattling hearing aids I wore. My cochlear implant has sound at around the same as normal hearing people. Loud noises don't bother me because the cochlear implants have software just like hearing aids that reduce loud noises.

I have migraines between 1 and 5 times a month (my triggers are PMS and changing weather). I never had one of the main symptoms of migraines which is phonophobia (avoidance of sound) because I was too deaf.

I can't believe it, but I was assessed and accepted for CI just like that *SNAP* :eek2: :eek: :dizzy: :shock:

OMG I am so nervous, do I do the right thing ... ?? teeth chattering, nails being bitten..

Well, anyway, with our wonderful medical system the surgery waiting list is 24 months LOLOL so I will have plenty of time to calm down
:giggle: :rofl: :giggle:

Just wanted to let you know whoever cares :)

Fuzzy

24 months!!! Wow!!

But congratulations!!!!

I so agree with your post, ambrosia. 24 months is TWO YEARS and seems soooo long to have to wait. Let's hope those cases ahead of her move faster than now expected!

Thanks guys :)
yep, that's what's happening in our medical care- horrendous line-ups :(

what can I do but wait :(

I too, hope, someone will maybe change mind or government will pay more money for surgeries. the whole CI department.

Fuzzy

I can't believe it, but I was assessed and accepted for CI just like that *SNAP* :eek2: :eek: :dizzy: :shock:

OMG I am so nervous, do I do the right thing ... ?? teeth chattering, nails being bitten..

Well, anyway, with our wonderful medical system the surgery waiting list is 24 months LOLOL so I will have plenty of time to calm down
:giggle: :rofl: :giggle:

Just wanted to let you know whoever cares :)

Fuzzy

WOW ! That is long time , it sure give you plenty of time to think about and do more research on CI . I decided not to have one b/c it would be on right side of head and
that the side that hurt all the time.

If I was unsure before because of my migraines, the lady explained in depth the CI I would be getting does have a "quiet mode" option,
so whenever I would feel tired, or feel the migraine coming on, I would always be able to switch to that mode and relax.
She also told me they had one person with migraine similar to mine, a lady close in age to me (60 next year! yikes!!),
whose condition was unaffected after implanting. so this and AD opinions further calmed my fears down :)

My audiogram showed considerate hearing loss since my first visit to CI department 15 years ago (they still had me in their archives).
The comprehension tests showed I could only understood 18% of spoken words whether single words or in sentences.
It wasn't much better with HA on. I now need totally to lip read in order to understand speech, 15 years ago it was possible for me
to understand more without lip reading - although I forgot to ask what was the percentage.
My guess is perhaps 25% - 30%% , but I really don't know.

All in all, after investigating my history the lady decided I am very good candidate, mainly b/c the first sign
of me having a hearing loss was when I was 5 y.o. - well past developing the speech.
Then I was losing it very slowly, so I not only developed good language skills but also developed ability to differentiate sounds.
The question, however, remains, how much my brain remembers? how much will awaken? WILL it awaken?
Only time will show, and only of course if implantation will be successful, LOLOL
Well, I am of good mood, now there is nothing else left to do but sit quietly on me butt, and wait... and wait... and wait...:zzz:

:rofl:
Fuzzy

At my age 69 it really doesn't made a lot of sense to get a CI , I made this far in my life with the hearing I do have so I guess I can do it for the rest of my life.

You know what WDYS, they said it's never too late, if you think it's not worth it - yes it is,
it's always well worth to improve your ability to hear, yes!.

But, certainly, if you are well adjusted and comfortable to live as a deaf person then it is just a matter of choice for you.
You may, but you don't have to :)

For me it is more of necessity since I was brought up as a hearie, my friends, family are all hearing.
despite their declarations I simply don't see them learning ASL - just not that kind of people, like awkward, you know - at signing.
Signing and gesturing come to some people naturally and smoothly, some people do it stiffly and feel silly, you know what I mean?
My husband is like that, for 30 years I tried to teach him simple gestures and a few real signs I know.
He tried, but I could tell he wasn't getting the hang of it and felt really embarrassed having to repeat over and over,
so he gave up too quickly as he felt he looks stupid trying to sign.

Talking to him "it's okay..!" and "no, he doesn't look stupid" wouldn't help, he barely learned some few simple gestures we invented
and a few signs for when I am not wearing my HA, and that was it :(
btw he keep forgetting what it means after a while, lololol
(even the sh*t sign, and he does that upside down way)

My daughter wouldn't have a problem learning ASL, my girlfriend and her husband would learn in time, their children maybe too,
would want to learn,
but I have at least 20 to 40 other friends and acquaintances, I simply don't see them exactly running for ASL classes just for me.
So CI it is .. :)

Fuzzy

(even the sh*t sign, and he does that upside down way)

LOL One of my HOH friends (knew her since Gally) once signed- several times- 'gas' upside down (reversal of Sh&t) when talking about our car trip.

2 years? wow... that's a long waiting list... never heard of that before with CI at least. Good luck :)

LOL One of my HOH friends (knew her since Gally) once signed- several times- 'gas' upside down (reversal of Sh&t) when talking about our car trip.

2 years? wow... that's a long waiting list... never heard of that before with CI at least. Good luck :)
She's in Canada where healthcare is free/cheap, if you live long enough to get it. :shock:

She's in Canada where healthcare is free/cheap, if you live long enough to get it. :shock:

Ah didn't realize she was in Canada. Though I've heard some okay things about Canada's healthcare. One of my friends has had multiple surgeries since her 20s (hip, knee are the ones I remember from college); some she had to wait for, others she had done immediately. Guess it just depends on the need and the severity. CIs seems to fall in the "Can wait a bit" category.

Ah didn't realize she was in Canada. Though I've heard some okay things about Canada's healthcare. One of my friends has had multiple surgeries since her 20s (hip, knee are the ones I remember from college); some she had to wait for, others she had done immediately. Guess it just depends on the need and the severity. CIs seems to fall in the "Can wait a bit" category.

yeah, it's like an elective surgery, meaning exactly "can wait a bit" like DeafDucky described.
that is, if you call waiting 24 months "a bit" :giggle:

Fuzzy

Back