Chris was placed!!

chris' mom

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago Chris was officially placed in a local school with a HOH classroom. Since he was placed in a school district that I do not live in they have to provide transportation :D. I'm so excited. I also recently received a letter in the mail approving my other two kids a transfer to that school so come Aug all my kids will be in the same school and able to ride the bus!! Just had to share!:D

A couple of weeks ago Chris was officially placed in a local school with a HOH classroom. Since he was placed in a school district that I do not live in they have to provide transportation :D. I'm so excited. I also recently received a letter in the mail approving my other two kids a transfer to that school so come Aug all my kids will be in the same school and able to ride the bus!! Just had to share!:D

Congratulations, chris' mom. And it is great that all your kids will be able to attend the same school, and will be transported together!

I am happy that things worked out. :)

That is just wonderful news on a Monday morning! I hope you will let us know how Chris settles into his new school.

That's good to hear!

I was like that as a kid. I was placed in a mainstream school that all deaf kids from many different cities would ride the bus to meet at. :)

That's exciting!!! Maybe a good idea would be to suggest that his siblings have interaction with the HOH classroom, so they can pick up ASL from them!

Chris' Mom, Are you in contact with Arkansas School for the Deaf? I totally would contact them as they may be able to offer things like summer camps or "retreats" or other types of resources. Deaf schools are REALLY underutilized , and they have a lot to offer.
Also I would strongly suggest joining the American Society for Deaf Children....it's a great organization for dhh kids who are Signing Deaf.
Oh, and the thing about Dhh classrooms that you might encounter is that some people don't think that there's enough time spent on speech therapy in the classrooms. If you DO encounter that, don't withdraw him from that program. The key is supplementing the speech therapy...like for example going to a private speech therapist or doing a dual enrollement (a couple of days at his current program and a couple of days in an oral program)

Back