Cholesteatoma and hearing aid

Katluc

Reaction score
I'm new here and am still finding my way around this forum. I have had 2 surgeries to reconstruct my left ear after Cholesteatoma ( my ears can't drain properly and I had mastoiditits as a child which went untreated ). Recently, the hearing in my operated ear dropped significantly again to the point of being virtually unable to hear. It happened suddenly after a virus which left me coughing violently. My ENT doctor couldn't find any exterior signs of Cholesteatoma returning but has referred me back to the hospital as my hearing hasn't returned. I feel it's permanent now and we briefly mentioned the possibility of having a hearing aid for that ear. There is still some fuction there but I find sounds confusing, have a lot of tinitus and conversations are difficult if there is a small amount of background noise. I'd appreciate any advice on suitable hearing aids or just generally. I find it embarrassing that I'm having to ask colleagues to repeat themselves ( I work as a classical musician in an orchestra, so, even though I am still able to play well, deafness is something I keep to myself ). I'm sure that I'll get used to this as I've had episodes of deafness my entire life but a good hearing aid would be a blessing now. All the best.

Back