Chest binding

Yadriel

Reaction score
So I've been contemplating transitioning to male for a very long time. Now that I have chose to transition I need a binder. I don't have money to buy one plus my family isn't gonna buy one for me. Does anyone know how to get one cheaper? Do I have to buy them online?

The trans clothing exchange some people donate them or they ask just to pay for shipping

Seconded! I know there are trans clothing exchanges! You could also try eBay.

I'm queer and sometimes wear a binder. I got mine on eBay.

If they are not very large, some people use an Ace bandage which is very inexpensive. It doesn't work as well if they are very large. Others use one or more sports bras but again it is less effective if they are large.

Just a note- be very careful with Ace bandages and binders that are too small. If the use is long term and for the better part of a day, it will cause some damage to your body- have heard stories about it and also read/seen information online about the results. Binding too tight is not always worth it...

Sports bras work ok- or even UnderArmor shirts (I think they sell binders too...).

welcome :) Xela Luna..don't know if there's a RAD chapter near you <Rainbow Alliance of Deaf> but if so, they may have some resources too.
I'm biQueer and hoh

Seems chest binding would be very uncomfortable and a health risk...I'm straight, so...that's just my opinion.

I know it can be dangerous, but I'm not gonna buy one to small and I know not to wear it longer than the 8 hours that it says. If I feel like something is wrong I'll just stop using it, and I know not to use ace bandages since that can bruise or even break your ribs.

I just don't know what else to do if I can't do chest binding. Sports bras don't work with me. I've binded before by using sports bras and 2 or 3 very tight tanktops that have a built in bra in it.

It worked like that but that was a few years ago and I don't have any tanktops that fit me.

Binding is really my only option. I feel so uncomfortable dressing male and identifying as male but still having breast that are visible even when I wear larger clothes.

Regardless of what better solutions you find, Xela Luna (a reference to Quetzaltenango?) It is always worthwhile to invest energy in accepting ourselves as we are. To hell with picture perfect.

It is not my intention to trivialize your problem. Ho we look matters a lot.

Regardless of what better solutions you find, Xela Luna (a reference to Quetzaltenango?) It is always worthwhile to invest energy in accepting ourselves as we are. To hell with picture perfect.

It is not my intention to trivialize your problem. Ho we look matters a lot.

True but, even when I was back in elementary school I have had problems with being female. I feel transitioning and looking male as close as I can will make me feel more confident as myself and happier.

And lol no Xela is my name.

True but, even when I was back in elementary school I have had problems with being female. I feel transitioning and looking male as close as I can will make me feel more confident as myself and happier.

And lol no Xela is my name.
I have many friends who are trans, male to female mostly. I hope everything works out and you find a good, safe binder :)

I think there are free binder programs still operating - maybe you qualify? It seems this forum won't let me post the urls for the applications, but you can do a web-search for them:
Free Youth Binder Program (FTM Essentials)
Big Brothers Binder Program (The Transitional Male)
(I think the last one might require a minimum $5 donation for shipping, but the first one appears to be actually free as advertised.)

I'm transmasculine myself... I think it's great to practice self-acceptance, AND sometimes the dysphoria can be so intense you need something to make it go away. I never liked the standards of beauty forced on me as a "girl," and it's unfair that I'm expected to just trade that in for a new set of (masculine) standards of attractiveness. That said, being constantly misgendered drains so much of my emotional energy, and I need some reserve of that in order to function.

One thing I wish someone had told me before I started binding was how much it would affect my chest tissue. Now everything in that area seems more obvious than ever.

Anyway, it seems like you've done your research on the health risks, and probably know the basics - never use an ace bandage or something too small or that doesn't stretch enough, never wear a binder when sleeping/exercising/more than 8 hrs/if you feel out of breath, always cough after you take it off, etc. - so only you can decide what's best for you.

I think there are free binder programs still operating - maybe you qualify? It seems this forum won't let me post the urls for the applications, but you can do a web-search for them:
Free Youth Binder Program (FTM Essentials)
Big Brothers Binder Program (The Transitional Male)
(I think the last one might require a minimum $5 donation for shipping, but the first one appears to be actually free as advertised.)

I'm transmasculine myself... I think it's great to practice self-acceptance, AND sometimes the dysphoria can be so intense you need something to make it go away. I never liked the standards of beauty forced on me as a "girl," and it's unfair that I'm expected to just trade that in for a new set of (masculine) standards of attractiveness. That said, being constantly misgendered drains so much of my emotional energy, and I need some reserve of that in order to function.

One thing I wish someone had told me before I started binding was how much it would affect my chest tissue. Now everything in that area seems more obvious than ever.

Anyway, it seems like you've done your research on the health risks, and probably know the basics - never use an ace bandage or something too small or that doesn't stretch enough, never wear a binder when sleeping/exercising/more than 8 hrs/if you feel out of breath, always cough after you take it off, etc. - so only you can decide what's best for you.

Can you explain what you mean by "I started binding was how much it would affect my chest tissue. Now everything in that area seems more obvious than ever." How is it more obvious? Like in what way?

Compressing body tissue loosens it, makes it less firm (especially in that area). Most folks seem to experience more sagging and jiggling. My chest was relatively small and compact to begin with, so for me that meant that - during the times I wanted (or needed) to take a break from binding - it stuck out further, and the extra jiggling drew more attention to it.

(If you're very involved in the Deaf community, you know that can mean some potentially uncomfortable questions/comments, given the cultural bluntness. I usually find it so much more reasonable than the indirect communication of the hearing world, but it can get complicated around trans issues. Of course, hearing people can ask a lot of personal questions about it, too, and then it's mostly just rude!)

For some folks with bigger chest, though, the sagging can actually mean that chest tissue will lie flatter (& lower) along the body, which some find a desirable outcome. It's irreversible, and impossible to predict exactly how your body will respond, and of course I can't represent everyone's experience, but I think those are the most common effects. I hope that's helpful?

Back