Changing computers old win xp pro 32 bit new windows 7 64 bit

I already see some issues when a change is attempted. First, how will PCMover be of any use if a second PC is not available to transfer saved files? If only a single PC is used, partitioning between two operating systems is the only way to to attempt a transfer within the same hard drive? Second, if the above succeeds, will communication between a 32 and 64 bit OS be possible to complete the change? Then there's the matter of updated hardware drivers AND the possibility of 64 bit software unable to open and read 32 bit files... Jane, this sounds like a potential mess.

I can't get over that you, of all people, also missed that I have gotten a new computer!!!!!!!!!! Why are so many of you missing this? Please check out the PCmover site if they are also new to you. One of the things that they really talk about is moving things from one computer to another. I thought I could get some comments about how well it really does do it but is seems no one around here has even heard of it let alone used it.

I wish you well. I could not fathom buying a Windows 7. The current Windows updates are for the 10. Let us know how it turns out.

Agree-- Baby Dell started out as Windows 7 but successfully upgraded to Windows 10 (of course some stuff I don't like but that's true for any software lol). Alas- both Creaky Dell and the laptop both have Windows XP. Not sure what I'm going to do with them or could do with them. Considering selling the laptop since if I do go to bootcamp- they require a Mac laptop- not windows :P.

MS is still providing support for 7 but no idea how long that will last.

Please check out the PCmover site if they are also new to you. One of the things that they really talk about is moving things from one computer to another. I thought I could get some comments about how well it really does do it but is seems no one around here has even heard of it let alone used it.

I've heard of it but have never used it as I'm like SneakerNet- either transfer all my stuff to an external drive or to USB drive and just reinstall everything with the CDs or exe files I've saved over the years (provided they'd work on the new OS).

Me- I'm in the market for a way to wipe clean my laptop to prep for sale...and I mean CLEAN.

Thanks Calvin! Too early in the morning and I'm lazy to go search lmao.

I can't get over that you, of all people, also missed that I have gotten a new computer!!!!!!!!!! Why are so many of you missing this? Please check out the PCmover site if they are also new to you. One of the things that they really talk about is moving things from one computer to another. I thought I could get some comments about how well it really does do it but is seems no one around here has even heard of it let alone used it.

I think you are missing the point, turns out there are other factors you need to look into in addition to using PCMover. But it looks like you take offense to receiving assistance, so why did you make this thread Jane?

Whenever I upgrade or buy new computer, I just save photos, export e-mail (Outlook), some files in USB stick. Then once I download the new programs (Antivirus, Word Program, etc) in the new or upgraded computer OS, then I import all the files from USB stick into the computer.

Not every programs will work with different operating systems and specifications (32bit, 64 bits).

Me- I'm in the market for a way to wipe clean my laptop to prep for sale...and I mean CLEAN.

I've formatted a couple of times in my Mac... I noticed it is very simple than Windows. :)

If you are being difficult or playing game with us so we will unable to help you with tech issues. That's enough.

Call technician and explain about your problem, also be expect to shell more than $100 for computer work.

Jane,

We know you have a new computer... what you failed to accept that people have their own ways of transferring files. You cant expect us to know or use PCmover, people have their own way of transferring files. If there's no answer you're looking here regarding PCMover or transferring files, 32 bits vs 64 bits then Google is the next step for you to look up... there's a lot in there that you can read people's comments. Everyone's experience and preference is different.

32 bits system is outdated and it will not work in newer OS. The point you're missing is the stability... you only have less than 3 years left for Window 7 support then you won't be getting any updates after that (no security nor system updates). Which means it will get outdated after 2020.

Like I've said before, Google is your friend, they have all the information you need when you look up. Your attitude this morning takes back some people try to help you.. if you stop being so picky about things. It would make things easier for not just yourself but for everyone to help you.

From this link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3096...whether-your-windows-is-32-bit-or-64-bit.html

Now that you know what you have, does it matter? It could matter a lot, depending on how you use your PC. The biggest difference between 32-bit and 64-bit OSes is that the 32-bit version can only address a bit less than 4GB of memory, in total, for the entire system, and this includes the memory in your video card. For Windows it’s usually about 3.5GB total. For example, if you have a system with 4GB of RAM but your video card has 1GB of memory in it, that leaves just 2.5GB of memory for the OS to use, which isn't much at all for Windows.

Even worse, you could theoretically have an 8GB system running 32-bit Windows, which means there's 4GB of memory in your system that might as well be used as a drink coaster. Only 64-bit systems can address more than 4GB of RAM, so this one reason alone is why most people choose one over the other.

Good luck.

I've formatted a couple of times in my Mac... I noticed it is very simple than Windows. :)

LOL Maybe. I've formatted a few Windows machines in my time. Just that I want something that can erase as much as possible off the laptop if I decide to sell it. Just formatting doesn't always get rid of everything in there from what I've read. I know there are programs out there that can do multiple pass wipes but they're $$$. Government has the highest level of that type of program.

Of course.. the easiest way to ensure nobody gets anything off of the machine- remove the hard drive and take a sledge hammer to it!

LOL Maybe. I've formatted a few Windows machines in my time. Just that I want something that can erase as much as possible off the laptop if I decide to sell it. Just formatting doesn't always get rid of everything in there from what I've read. I know there are programs out there that can do multiple pass wipes but they're $$$. Government has the highest level of that type of program.

Of course.. the easiest way to ensure nobody gets anything off of the machine- remove the hard drive and take a sledge hammer to it!

Yeah, that's true. Governments have a way to restore destroyed hard drive... the best way to kill it completely is the powerful magnetic that can be very expensive. Another best way to do is to go through the shredder that can break up in several tiny pieces.

I don't have any top-secret stuff on my hard drives, but I have been known to take my old drives out to the garage, set it on the concrete floor, and hammer it.

I don't have any top-secret stuff, but I have been known to take my old drives out to the garage, set it on the concrete floor, and hammer it.
I've also done the same with top-secret Alleycat photos on CDs. They get hammered too.

@Jane B.

PCmover is rip off so you can transfer all documents and folders via USB flash.

@Jane B. -What do you think of your new laptop? How did you end up transferring your programs?

Last edited:
Back