Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Kids can't socialize without speech?

No one is saying she can't have 2. If her parents want her to have two, then go for it. This is their fight, not the fight of the public.

And, as a parent, I would certainly be concerned about my child being portrayed to the public as a "poor little deaf child."

I wouldn't. If it got what my child needed (or what I whole heartedly believed she needed) I would play any card I had to play.

The biggest thing I don't like is not that the parents "forcing" oralism, making their child have surgery, etc, but rather the "Oh if she gets both CI, she WILL be perfect"

Ever since I got the implant, Ive had to do NUMEROUS explanations to my family, coworkers, random people that the CI is a process and it's not a "fix". I understand if they have never heard of it before and assumed that it restored hearing, but some of them DID look up information about implants online, but either they read inaccurate/poor info or skimmed over it.

This sounds like Im bragging or something, but you'd have to be a strong person to handle the pressure of "hearing better" and "speaking better" after getting a CI, thanks to articles like above....

**nodding agreement**

And, it doesn't sound as if you are bragging, simply that you are being honest and realistic.

I would say that my daughter's CI is effective and a success, but that doesn't mean that she shouldn't get another and that it wouldn't help her even more.
There is good evidence that bilaterals work better than a single CI.

you're correct too, faire_jour. i know many successful unilateral ci users who do well with a single implant and wish to get a second for even more improvement.

What? Kids can't socialize without speech?

No one is saying she can't have 2. If her parents want her to have two, then go for it. This is their fight, not the fight of the public.

And, as a parent, I would certainly be concerned about my child being portrayed to the public as a "poor little deaf child."[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't. If it got what my child needed (or what I whole heartedly believed she needed) I would play any card I had to play.

Then perhaps you are not as concerned about the messages such tactics relay to the child as you should be.

i can't say that i agree. if i had a deaf child and chose to have them implanted (or even if i didn't), the last thing i would want is for the general public to have pity on him/her, but to each his own.

you're correct too, faire_jour. i know many successful unilateral ci users who do well with a single implant and wish to get a second for even more improvement.

The point here is not the parent's desire for a second implant, but the way they have gone about it.

i can't say that i agree. if i had a deaf child and chose to have them implanted, the last thing i would want is for the general public to have pity on him/her, but to each his own.

Exactly, why pity deafness? or any other disability?

I think that framing your child's deafness as a disability for whatever reasons would be very harmful to their self-esteem. I definitely wouldn't want to play that tactic. I can say I'm glad my parents didn't play that card with my blindness.

The point here is not the parent's desire for a second implant, but the way they have gone about it.

my mistake in interpretation. sorry...

i strongly disagree with the parents' choice to seek help from the general public to get their child a second implant. i especially dislike the way they've gone about it by encouraging others to feel pity for her.

my mistake in interpretation.

i strongly disagree with the parents' choice to seek help from the general public to get their child a second implant. i especially dislike the way they've done about it by encouraging others to feel pity for her.

Yes, I knew you were against the portrayal of deaf or deafblind as poor little creatures to be pitied. No apology needed.

I think that framing your child's deafness as a disability for whatever reasons would be very harmful to their self-esteem. I definitely wouldn't want to play that tactic. I can say I'm glad my parents didn't play that card with my blindness.

Exactly, if i was a kid of a parent who did that... i would hide for embarrassment.... eeeek.

Nor did I play it with my child's deafness. Nor did I allow anyone else to, either.

my mistake in interpretation. sorry...

i strongly disagree with the parents' choice to seek help from the general public to get their child a second implant. i especially dislike the way they've gone about it by encouraging others to feel pity for her.

That is my main issue with this article, much more than whether she should have bilateral CI or not.

neither did my parents when it came to my deafblindness. thanks to them, i've become an independent adult who does not look at her disabilities (including my bipolar and ptsd) as limiting my capabilities.

i can't say that i agree. if i had a deaf child and chose to have them implanted (or even if i didn't), the last thing i would want is for the general public to have pity on him/her, but to each his own.

HearAgain - Ultimately, there is no control of how the general public will interpret/feel about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back