Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, i dont know if they sign, parents pushing oralism first annoys me. sorry.

...but we don't know for a fact that they are pushing oralism. just because a parent wants to implant their child does not mean they are forcing oralism. besides, i can show you many examples of parents who have continued to use asl after their child has been implanted.

"This poor child is DEAF and the big bad insurance company WON'T give her the ability to HEAR in another ear and she will become SOCIALLY DISFUNCTIONAL. She is being denied something she DESPERATELY NEEDS, what if they denied a pacemaker for your grandfather and he DIED???? Please help k thanks."= Media goldmine

<laughing so hard> And she's not DEAF, she's HEARING-IMPAIRED! Sheesh, get it right! <wink>

because parents forcing oralism annoys me.

Way to judge! Does it say that she is in an oral only enviromeny? Does it say that she doesn't use ASL? For all we know the child has no arms and can not possibly sign. (Not that I think that is true, just that we don't have the full story)

Sources, please. That, as I said before, is not a guarantee. They can, but often they don't. Just as there is no guarantee that a child will understand speech with a CI.

I think it is implied that the child is already using speech with the first CI, hense the desire for another.

sorry. *shuts up now*

that's okay typeingtornado. please continue to share your comments. all i'm saying is that we can't draw an accurate conclusion about whether or not this child is being forced into oralism and does not know asl.

Way to judge! Does it say that she is in an oral only enviromeny? Does it say that she doesn't use ASL? For all we know the child has no arms and can not possibly sign. (Not that I think that is true, just that we don't have the full story)

If this family were strongly based in ASL, they would no doubt already realize that a bilateral CI is not mandatory to become a fully functioning adult.:cool2:

Likewise, if she had no arms and legs, I'm sure we would have heard about it in the article as the entire intent was to induce pity. No doubt the author would have pulled that card out of the deck, as well.

<laughing so hard> And she's not DEAF, she's HEARING-IMPAIRED! Sheesh, get it right! <wink>

LOL! Mockingbird and Daredevil's posts were funny...iam using pager so I cudnt quote them.

I think it is implied that the child is already using speech with the first CI, hense the desire for another.

You tell us not to assume anything about this child from the article, yet you are doing just that.

If this family were strongly based in ASL, they would no doubt already realize that a bilateral CI is not mandatory to become a fully functioning adult.:cool2:

Likewise, if she had no arms and legs, I'm sure we would have heard about it in the article as the entire intent was to induce pity. No doubt the author would have pulled that card out of the deck, as well.

There are plenty of ASL users that see the benefits of bilateral implants.

Exactly the whole thing was there for pity. *ohh please help my poor poor hearing impaired daughter... if you dont help she will never succeed in life *sob**

Sources, please. That, as I said before, is not a guarantee. They can, but often they don't. Just as there is no guarantee that a child will understand speech with a CI.

Nothing in life is a guarantee. :fruit:

There are plenty of ASL users that see the benefits of bilateral implants.

Again, stop twisting my posts. I said nothing about benefits. I said mandatory to become a fully functional adult.

Exactly the whole thing was there for pity. *ohh please help my poor poor hearing impaired daughter... if you dont help she will never succeed in life *sob**

i honestly think that this was more the reporter's doing than the parents. you know how these special interest stories go. the more pity they can create, the better.

You tell us not to assume anything about this child from the article, yet you are doing just that.

"Rob and LeAnn have been trying to get the second implant for Hannah since they realized how effective the first implant was."

That is why I said what I said.

i honestly think that this was more the reporter's doing than the parents. you know how these special interest stories go. the more pity they can create, the better.

true, reporters love that kind of stuff, but it is still for sympathy... and to make us feel bad...

This was written by a friend of the family, not a reporter.

"Rob and LeAnn have been trying to get the second implant for Hannah since they realized how effective the first implant was."

That is why I said what I said.

That could simply mean that she had gained sound perception. There is nothing in that statement that implies she is using speech. You only see that implication because of your own perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back