Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be an oral only environment. If that is what you want for your child, then enroll her in that program. You have no legal right to force a BiBi program to become an oral program simply for your convenience. You have a choice. Make it.

When did this turn into an attack on my choices? I was discussing AV and AV teachers, not my daughter or our situation. Drop it.

There are many bi-bi schools that have jearned the benefits of providing spoken language to deaf students. Maryland School for the Deaf is a good example. They have a CI program that uses spoken language from 50-90% of the classroom time. It doesn't mean that it isn't a bi-bi school. I have also heard about The Learning Center in Mass having a great bi-bi program that is still appropriate for CI users.
Just because my school isn't doing it yet, doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Utah School for Deaf-Blind
Oral Departments
846 20th Street
Ogden, UT 84401
- AND -
Outreach
2870 Connor
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
(801) 468-0337
Birth - 21 y

Auditory Oral / Verbal Programs T-Z, Other Countries, and Global

Here is a program that is in your state.

Isn't it sad that if a parent wants an appropriate education for their child, they must move?

Understand, my father put most of his non working hours educating me and he never complained. He just did it so I would develop to my full potential.

I don't have any sympathy for you.

He never complained.

There are many bi-bi schools that have jearned the benefits of providing spoken language to deaf students. Maryland School for the Deaf is a good example. They have a CI program that uses spoken language from 50-90% of the classroom time. It doesn't mean that it isn't a bi-bi school. I have also heard about The Learning Center in Mass having a great bi-bi program that is still appropriate for CI users. Also, KDES and MSSD have a CI program. They are certainly considered bi-bi. Services for KDES and MSSD Students with Cochlear Implants
Just because my school isn't doing it yet, doesn't mean it shouldn't.

What you are asking your school to do is change the methodology of their program. You have no legal right to do that. Your daughter has a right to accommodation. You do not have the right to dictate methododolgy. The whole philosophy of bi-bi is founded on keeping 2 languages separate.

Any bi-bi program is appropriate for CI users. What is not appropriate for a bi-bi classroom is bringing AVT into a classroom that is taught using ASL. Having a CI is not a disability. Therefore, you cannot walk into a program designed to be bi-bi and for deaf children and demand that your child be given oral instruction because she has a CI. The accomodation for her being deaf has already been made. That is the disability that qualifies her for accommodation. If you don't want her in a classroom that uses sign as the language of instruction, then, quite simply, don't put her in one. Put her in a program that uses speech as the language of instruction.

And self contained CI programs within a deaf school are the same as a self contained program for deaf students in a mainstream school. They function differently than the rest of the school functions. And those self contained programs are created so that those students whose parent want a different methodology than the school's primary methodology have a separate classroom in which to accomplish that.

What you are asking your school to do is change the methodology of their program. You have no legal right to do that. Your daughter has a right to accommodation. You do not have the right to dictate methododolgy. The whole philosophy of bi-bi is founded on keeping 2 languages separate.

Any bi-bi program is appropriate for CI users. What is not appropriate for a bi-bi classroom is bringing AVT into a classroom that is taught using ASL. Having a CI is not a disability. Therefore, you cannot walk into a program designed to be bi-bi and for deaf children and demand that your child be given oral instruction because she has a CI. The accomodation for her being deaf has already been made. That is the disability that qualifies her for accommodation. If you don't want her in a classroom that uses sign as the language of instruction, then, quite simply, don't put her in one. Put her in a program that uses speech as the language of instruction.

And self contained CI programs within a deaf school are the same as a self contained program for deaf students in a mainstream school. They function differently than the rest of the school functions. And those self contained programs are created so that those students whose parent want a different methodology than the school's primary methodology have a separate classroom in which to accomplish that.

Stop attacking me and my choices. This thread is NOT about my family. I will contact a moderator if it continues.

Mod's Note:

The thread is closed for the time being.

The thread will be undergoing a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back