Challenger Tragedy

jazzy

Reaction score
It had been 25 years as it was alike only yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Challenger: 25 years later

Challenger: 25 years later, a still painful wound - CTV News

FoxNews.com - Remembering Challenger: NASA Marks 25 Years Since Space Tragedy

Where were you at that time? I was at Gally. I walked thru one of HMB halls and I noticed that there was a crowd watching TV near the office of registration. I asked my buddy in the crowd what was going on and he told me that the space shuttle Challenger exploded. I went to my dorm and joined students watch CNN in the living room.

I know several of you were not in existence at that time; however, I am sure this tragic accident are told by your parents and teachers.

Ah I created a similar thread in the current news forum.

I concur with Linux. I remember it like yesterday.

The seven heroes and role models shall be remembered.

I was in class, 7th grade. I never forget this moment! At frist I was confused what my friend was telling me. Teachers brought in the TV in the class room and we watched. My heart broke in million pieces. I was also shocked! RIP to all those people who died.

I was in first grade. My teacher had gotten us very excited o watch the launch. We did all sorts of activities and then we turned on the tv. We watched the shuttle launch and we cheered. Then the explosion happened. The teacher just stared at the screen for a moment and then shut it off. She never explained what happened. She left the room for a few minutes and when she came back it was clear that she had been crying. I remember being scared. When I got home, my grandma was watching the news and I learned what had happened from that. The day still brings me to tears.

Yeah me too. I still remember the total silence in the cafeteria when it exploded on TV.

I was in high school, walked by and saw gathering in a certain room next to cafeteria in shock, I ran up into the room and saw that Challenger has exploded. I was shocked to the core, in total disbelief.

I was in the cafeteria at my college and all of a sudden there was a dead silence while the Challenger exploded on screen. I didn't find out why till later on when my mother asked me if I had heard about the space shuttle. It upset me when she told me what happened to it.

I was at work at the Saving & Loan and we were being robbed at the same time as the explosion.

I remember it too. Everyone was starting at the TV with a shocked expression on their face.

I was in Northridge ... CSUN.

Last edited:
I was working at a small-town newspaper at the time. The editor came in and gave us the news. I didn't see the video until later that night when I got home. It was very shocking and sad.

This guy I used to work with, he was in the air force and he lost his uncle to this tragedy. We were at loss on how to comfort him. I did not see tv but others did. No one said one word whole day. I took couple of pictures of Challenger and other space shuttles when they landed right front of me. Anyway today is my son's birthday and he was 3 at that time when it blew up in the sky. He remembered it clearly.

Years ago, I used to live near Christa McAuliffe's parents as next door neighbors. I've met them including Christa and her family many times in the past. Nice people.
We saw everything. It's a long story but it's too painful for me to talk about this. I will never forget that. *sigh*

I was in my 8th grade Science class and the teacher stopped the lecture when the announcement was made. He proceeded to get the TV and turned it on. I had no idea what was going on as I was mainstreamed full time in an oral-only environment. I was watching the shuttle go up and thinking "What is the big deal?" All of my classmates were clutching at each other and I was so confused. When it exploded, all I could think "Ohhhh ok I got it now."

On Feb. 20th, 1986 - my wife quit her quality control inspector at Dept. of Defense due to stress from job and fighting with my mom in almost everyday at the same time. Then one week later, the space shuttle exploded and she was thinking that after quitting her job that someone took over her place did not do the job right that caused "O" ring failed as she was not responsible for what happened. There was bad quality control inspector who accept bad parts for aerospace for Dept. of Defense. TSK TSK TSK!!!

Back