cerebral palsy and deafness

inmate23

Reaction score
"
Robinson (1983) noted that 20% of children with cerebral palsy display hearing or language problems." (Anthony, T. 1993) Typically the hearing loss is sensorineural. Beyond that, not much research has been done to date on hearing loss and CP. It is important, however, that children with CP also have their hearing assessed, especially if they also have a visual impairment.

here is the place for people to attack me if they want to but I say:gives:

I also have cerebral palsy

That's because some of the drugs used to treat ear infections are also prone to killing off hear cells and throwing a clot-- which cause a person to get a brain stroke. When the person recover from the brain stroke, they get cerebral palsy.

So people who get treated with certain types of oxtotoxic drugs get the double-whammy of both hearing loss and being a stroke victim. There are probably a few other reasons as well; I can't answer what is the correlation between CP and deafness because CP has an endless list of causes.

Statistics are nice, but only if they have an explanation for why these things happen. Cerebral palsy is an umbrella term with no specific causes. So while quoting papers and sources are nice, they don't address how those people got CP in the first place.

I have many years of experience of working with deaf children with CP. Some are mild and some are severe.

My former roommate while at Gally has C.P. We had some good times, even taking a trip to Florida during spring break. That guy's smart! And he was in the same Honors Program as I was while at Gally but then again that program was a joke to begin with. And then there's Jeff who has severe CP but the guy's funny...always the jokester.

"

14157d1253687431-what-hearing-aid-audiogram_draw.png

OK as long as you asked me to come here. Here's your audiogram. It is a hearing person's audiogram.

I don't know what :sure: means, but you put in your thread when asking me to comment here and since it is in the adult smilies I assume it is bad.

It is a fallacious argument to say because someone has cerebral palsy they are deaf.

You have already told us your government program says you are not deaf, now you yourself posted a hearing person's audiogram.

What in the heck should I think except that you have a screw loose?

Plus you really like attention.

There was one named Jerry during our gallaudet year. He had CP. He was an average person like me. He did it much better than I am. Every time we went to a BAR. He had not yet drink and they made assumptions that he was drunk already. He repeatedly tell them that he had a CP. They let him in the bar. :roll: I missed him so terrible. He passed away due to the complicated health, not because of CP.

There was one named Jerry during our gallaudet year. He had CP. He was an average person like me. He did it much better than I am. Every time we went to a BAR. He had not yet drink and they made assumptions that he was drunk already. He repeatedly tell them that he had a CP. They let him in the bar. :roll: I missed him so terrible. He passed away due to the complicated health, not because of CP.

My parents accountant had CP also, and he did die because the CP weakened him, but he was a very bright and personable man.

My parents accountant had CP also, and he did die because the CP weakened him, but he was a very bright and personable man.

Aww. My friend who passed away. He was about close to 40's. He always was overweight that he kept eating and drinking so excessive that caused of his heart failure. It could be part of his CP that weakened his health. He was an irish, very stubborn boy. :( He had a son. *sigh*

I have a sibling who is cerebral palsy, can hear and talk good. But I couldn't make out communicate with him thry sign language :(

Thank god for computer

"

I have CP but that didn't cause my Deafness, what caused the CP and the Deafness is the same though. As others here have said CP doesn't equate to hearing loss.

I would also like to point out that over half the population wears glasses or contacts. Rarely are vision loss and hearing loss related, except for a few syndromic causes such as Ushers Syndrome.

Yea, I can understand about the assumptions of one being drunk due to CP. I used to work for a group home with deaf adults. One of them had CP and whenever we went out in public, people would accuse him of public drunkness. He had no mental issues so he would take it very personally. I would always try to remedy the situation by explaining to people that he has CP and to my shock, I learned that many people are very uneducated about CP. I really felt for my client.

14157d1253687431-what-hearing-aid-audiogram_draw.png

OK as long as you asked me to come here. Here's your audiogram. It is a hearing person's audiogram.

I don't know what :sure: means, but you put in your thread when asking me to comment here and since it is in the adult smilies I assume it is bad.

It is a fallacious argument to say because someone has cerebral palsy they are deaf.

You have already told us your government program says you are not deaf, now you yourself posted a hearing person's audiogram.

What in the heck should I think except that you have a screw loose?

Plus you really like attention.

mauchausen thingy!

FYI - pretty sure the smilie is masturbating and he is telling to you/ calling you a "jerk off"

Just this week had my first experience with a person who has CP. I was early for my class at an ITP, a friend and I were chatting as we waited. A man came to the door who looked drunk, with all the crazy events that happen in schools lately it caused me to become very cautious. Once he walked in and when he started signing I could tell he wasn't drunk but I didn't know why he was acting like that. He turned out to be a brillant funny man. He left after talking with the class and teacher. It was then that I learned he had CP. I felt so wrong, disappointed in myself, my ignorance led me to judge. At least now I know, I am trying to educate myself so this does happen again. :)

Back