Central Institution for the Deaf

ChelEler

Reaction score
Who attend Central Institution for the Deaf (CID) in St. Louis, MO at all? Any other neighbor deaf schools, like St. Joseph, etc.?

I attended CID for 12 years (almost all of my childhood years).

Not me... I live in St Louis but not gone to any school in Missouri.. Me finished in Dallas Texas. :D I know St Joseph and CID, ofc Missouri of the Deaf near Columbia. I just heard that there is other school in STL is blind and deaf school, too. I think it is on Russell Rd something like that. I met ppl who goes to mainstreamed school here at STL.... what else? Me not think of anything or heard. :D

I know that there's a new deaf school called "Moog School" or something like that. Have you heard of it yet? If so, what's it like over there? (In fact, I know who Jean Moog is.)

I've heard of Moog Oral School....VOMIT!!!!
"Oh no, speechreading is EVIL and if you teach a deaf child to speechread, they won't want to learn how to use their residual hearing!"
Give me a break! Even most hearing people speechread!!! There are even sounds which sound alike but are only differtanted on the lips!

Moog ?? Me have no idea. :D Interesting to know... mmmmm (after read deafdyke's post) mmmmm kewlies!

uhmm ive never heard of Moog School but yea i agree with Deafdyke *smh* at their philosophy

No wonder I didn't get along well with Jean Moog when I was younger. She was the principal of CID at the time I attended CID. :o That's how I knew who she is... and just found out about her starting her own deaf school. (Didn't realize that her philosophy is way off from what I believe.)

Last edited:
Yes, the latest trend in oral Deaf education is something called Auditory-Verbal Therapy (or Acupedics) where deaf and hoh kids are taught not to speechread but instead exclusively use their residual hearing. Personally, while I am not against auditory training (there are some times when hearing people just have to depend exclusively on hearing) I think the whole A/V philopsophy is crap!

Back