CC help needed

jaywalk

Reaction score
hi ... I need recommendations / help for getting closed captioning on dvd's. I've lost my ability to hear on phone, hear the tv. I can hear some but don't understand without closed captioning.

most dvds have closed captioning or subtitles now. That is if it's new and a major company. Or if you have online streaming services have have subtitles/closed captioning.

Look for the terms like English SDH on DVDs, BluRay and Digital HD.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between SDH and Subtitle. For instance, if a dog barks, SDH will show [dog barking in the background]. Subtitle doesn't show it. Subtitle is for hearing people who don't understand the foreign language but they can hear noise background like dog barking. CC is similar to SDH. They look like white texts on black background.

Does anyone else remember HDMI cable used to not support CC data? Ugh!

Look for the terms like English SDH on DVDs, BluRay and Digital HD.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between SDH and Subtitle. For instance, if a dog barks, SDH will show [dog barking in the background]. Subtitle doesn't show it. Subtitle is for hearing people who don't understand the foreign language but they can hear noise background like dog barking. CC is similar to SDH. They look like white texts on black background.

Does anyone else remember HDMI cable used to not support CC data? Ugh!

Actually, they still don't! They just started putting CC options in devices before going through HDMI instead of having TV's do the job. HDMI strips the CC information as it goes through to TV.

Actually, they still don't! They just started putting CC options in devices before going through HDMI instead of having TV's do the job. HDMI strips the CC information as it goes through to TV.

That's pity. I read that they won't do it because they want to preserve the high quality screen.

I use HDMI cables, I use cable box setting to turn on caption or use subtitles for DVD/BluRay on my PS4. Also streaming on TV... Works fine for me.

I need help on this old issue also. I have no problem with DVD's that have SDH or subtitles. But I have a few DVD's that only have Closed Captioning. At least the case says it has CC. I have read other old posts from 2009-2013 on HDMI cables not transmitting the CC data. So I hooked up the Panasonic BlueRay DVD player to my Philips TV with the old 3 wire -yellow, white, black jacks, as the old posts said the old fashioned cables would work. The DVD plays, and looks just the same, and audio is there, but it STILL won't display the CC. I have checked settings on the DVD player, and the Subtitles were selected 'on', so I turned that off, thinking that might interfere. The TV settings still have CC turned 'on'. I also went into the DVD player settings, and looked for Video / Progressive Output, as another older post said that had to be turned off. Well, mine didn't have that option, but I tried to vary other settings, and nothing helped. The DVD menu only has "Play" and "Scene Selection". If the TV has CC "On", and I am using the cable that allows transmission of the CC - shouldn't it just show up automatically? But it is not there. Any ideas? Calvin's post suggested Cable box - what is that?

hi ... I need recommendations / help for getting closed captioning on dvd's. I've lost my ability to hear on phone, hear the tv. I can hear some but don't understand without closed captioning.
Jay, I am having trouble myself getting CC to display on some DVD's. I don't have trouble with DVD's that have SDH or English subtitles. For the phone usage, you can get a captioning phone from Captel, or CaptionCall, and the service provided is free. I think I got my phone for free also, a long time ago. There may be other captioning phones also.

Calvin's post suggested Cable box - what is that?

Go to accessibility setting in cable box or direct TV you will see similar like this:

31233i80AE1BC0F817CB88

Back