Cat owners, What is the best way to teach a cat not to use claws on me?

Buffalo

Reaction score
My cousin's cat is friendly and loves having me scratching her back. Sometimes she would lie down for me to scratching her tummy/neck but then she would dig her claws into my slippers out of happiness. If I am out of my slippers, I feel the pain. I never owned a cat, just dogs, gerbils and parakeets. What is the best way to teach her not to use her claws on me for any reason? I walked away when she tried to claw at me and that seems to be working but what about when I am scratching her tummy/neck.

By the way, she is a tortoise shell cat - mostly black with bit of light brown here and there and even smaller white patches.

First experiences are hilarious! LOL I once paid the price for giving her a complimentary tummy rub! What I did was have her used to getting handled. Like you started off with scratching her back, work your way to her neck and chest - yes, very much like foreplay. Her tummy area will always be a dicey area as cats love to claw and hold by instinct. They are just as social as dogs, but need to be handled differently.

If our cat has got a claws in me, I take hold of his paw and gently pull it away. He is a very old cat and usually remembers that I will remove his claws so he tries not to.

ouch!!! that's why i don't have a cat. I really hate the clawing part. :mad2:

ouch!!! that's why i don't have a cat. I really hate the clawing part. :mad2:

Ditto and I also don't like the fact that cats do get up on counters and tables. That is the main reason why I don't own a cat. Kitty litter, yuck! This cat belongs to my cousin so he has to feed the cat and clean up the kitty litter. (Me hands off.)

ha ha i am sorry if you aren't comfortable with cats. Sometimes they can't help being aggressive and clawing into my hands or feet. That's their nature of doing it. I didn't mind their claws into my hands or my hair or feet. I know each of their personality and their tendencies of doing before i reach my hands to them. If they do clam in my knee or hands, i hold their paws soft and pull off from me slowly or carefully. I have to know their moods before i do something with them. :shock: ha

I didnt mind cats jump on the counter, tables or any where higher shelves. They want to be close to me. ;)

i notice that red/orange tabby tend to be aggressive behavior. I could be wrong.

Ditto and I also don't like the fact that cats do get up on counters and tables. That is the main reason why I don't own a cat. Kitty litter, yuck! This cat belongs to my cousin so he has to feed the cat and clean up the kitty litter. (Me hands off.)

Yes, they always try because that's cat's natural behavior to be on higher level stuff. The difference between dogs and cats lol. You could train a baby cat not to do that if you train them every single time. I believe it is that people either don't mind or they just give up and not try to train them every time. Just like dogs need to be trained to poop and pee outside or other behaviors.

I have an aunt who has a dog, and he jumps on people all of the time. She doesn't care to train him, and he constantly jumps on me and his claws leaves red welts on me. It's not on purpose, of course, but it hurts a little. I wish she'd train him to not do that, but it's her dog *shrug.* I think there's pros and cons from both cats and dogs :).

Maybe ask your cousin politely if she could have her nails trimmed? It's important for people to trim cat's nails for this and several reasons. I don't know if I can help you much since it's your cousin's cat. Seems like she doesn't mind her cat's claws, but it wouldn't hurt to ask and see what she says.

If they do clam in my knee or hands, i hold their paws soft and pull off from me slowly or carefully.

I just cringed at the thought of it. The HOOKS digging into my skin... and you have to "unhook" it.... <cringgggge>

Don't get me wrong - I like cats but I don't really want to experience it as first-time owner. :ugh:

All 4 cats I've had in my lifetime have expressed this symptom. One of them being my parent's cat, whom they had declawed (I know how you feel), but this was in the late 80's so it was quite some time ago.

I think the reason why they do it outside of aggressiveness or self defense is for displaying their satisfaction. Think of it like a baby groping a mother's breast or something, or a guy you know.

Except they have projectiles attached to their hands, so it makes it hurt. Sounds similar to those cacti plants that look really cool but have lots of natural defense.

The way I handle it now is that if it hurts, or they're putting it in a sensitive area, I just put my hand or finger under their paws and kind of press on the pads. It hurts a lot less and they seem to enjoy it.

I just cringed at the thought of it. The HOOKS digging into my skin... and you have to "unhook" it.... <cringgggge>

Don't get me wrong - I like cats but I don't really want to experience it as first-time owner. :ugh:

hehe guess you dislike any hottie chicks nails dig into your skin? huh :naughty: :laugh2:

I know the feeling. Their sharp claws feel like NEEDLES :shock: I get use to their claws into my skins many times. sometimes i scream until they realize they hurt me and they let their claws out of my skins. sheeeesh!! Once you own a cat and know her/his tendency then you would feel that is not too bad. know what i mean?

hehe guess you dislike any hottie chicks nails dig into your skin? huh :naughty: :laugh2:
:naughty:

I know the feeling. Their sharp claws feel like NEEDLES :shock: I get use to their claws into my skins many times. sometimes i scream until they realize they hurt me and they let their claws out of my skins. sheeeesh!! Once you own a cat and know her/his tendency then you would feel that is not too bad. know what i mean?
No I don't want to know what you mean :Ohno:

:naughty:

No I don't want to know what you mean :Ohno:

Suit yourself.

*hint* i dont know you if you are single or not. my suggestion is: TO meet any ladies who are cat lovers that way you would know more. :giggle:

Back