Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As many of you know, I have carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).

For those who may be interested, I thought I'd give an update as to how I've been doing as well as to ask for your personal experiences with CTS and surgery.

The CTS in my left hand is considered severe. I'm unable to hold objects and experience a great deal of pain, numbness, tingling and burning. I also have CTS in my right hand, but it is only mild to moderate.

However, over the past week, I've been experiencing numbness to the point where it is difficult for me to move my fingers. I also have a burning sensation throughout my entire hand.

Things are not looking very good at this point and I'm afraid that my GP was correct when she said I cannot avoid surgery because if I do, I will lose complete function in both of my hands. That scares me and given the numbness and burning I've had in my right hand, I'm very worried that the CTS in that hand has become worse. I'm guessing that it is now considered moderate or moderate to severe.

I'm currently in the process of meeting with a hand surgeon to discuss my options for surgery.

In the meantime, I've been wearing wrist splints on both hands 24/7 (upon the recommendation of my physical therapist and GP). The wrist splints do not help relieve the pain I'm having, but I continue to wear them anyways because I don't want to make things worse.

I won't lie. I'm scared for alot of different reasons. I'm worried about being unable to use my hand for 1-2 weeks following surgery. I'm afraid of something going wrong and me being unable to use my hand again. I'm concerned about the risk of having a manic episode given the fact that anesthesia can cause manic episodes in people who have bipolar.

If any of you have CTS or have had experience with surgery (meaning either you've had it or know someone who has), would you mind telling me more about it?

I have alot of concerns right now and need my mind to be put at ease. :(

Back