cargo trailer search

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
We are moving next year and need to find a cheap but good cargo trailer to move just a few furniture and big objects. U haul trailers are too expensive for just moving one way. They want $700 for the biggest trailer, not worth the price. Moving trucks are over $1,000 easily. My friend could tow it with his 2008 Subaru Outback, he has towed trailer before with it no issues but I need to ask him what's the tongue weight and tow rating limit, he already has a ball for it. Any advices and cheap work-arounds...feel free to comment in here.

buy used trailer from craigslist

Craigslist is a waste of time. Most of the sellers never reply.

Craigslist is a waste of time. Most of the sellers never reply.

well that's why it's cheap and you've got a lot of time left to find one anyway.

unless... you wanna pay more for u-haul

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Let's wait til others reply. One other solution is rent one from equipment rental and bring it back. Its lot cheaper than u haul but wish they had one way not local.

No and my friend's 2008 Subaru Outback will do that.

Depends on how much stuff your moving and if you just want to make one trip or more ... Could rent a full sized truck from a rental place I think they do the one way thing too ... for the cost you listed ... $700 for a u haul trailer ... you could buy a 5x8 trailer (4x6 is cheaper)from tractor supply to use for that much and own the trailer for anything else after ... another way to find a trailer is those yard sale pages on facebook I bought my trailer that way for $250 ... I tagged it, painted it and put new lights and floor on it for under $100 ... so I've got $350 into the entire deal which is cheaper than anything else I found ...

Would it be wise to try and find someone moving to the same town and split
the cost of a rental and you drive the rental ?

ncff07 said:
Depends on how much stuff your moving and if you just want to make one trip or more ... Could rent a full sized truck from a rental place I think they do the one way thing too ... for the cost you listed ... $700 for a u haul trailer ... you could buy a 5x8 trailer (4x6 is cheaper)from tractor supply to use for that much and own the trailer for anything else after ... another way to find a trailer is those yard sale pages on facebook I bought my trailer that way for $250 ... I tagged it, painted it and put new lights and floor on it for under $100 ... so I've got $350 into the entire deal which is cheaper than anything else I found ...

Buy and remodel the trailer? Maybe if I can find one cheap as long it doesn't need wheel bearings or new tires or anything expensive to fix.

whatdidyousay! said:
Would it be wise to try and find someone moving to the same town and split
the cost of a rental and you drive the rental ?

That's gonna be impossible from here to there.

I know Uhaul is ripoff., but the truth is it may be the cheapest you can find.

If you wish buy, some states requires inspection, registration, and you gotta cough up taxes and so on and once your done with it, how long is it going to take you to finally sold and get money back? What if your new place not permitting trailer on their property?

Penske DOES have trailer, but you must rent a truck in order to be able to rent trailer. I would suggest you check their rate. I am not sure about right now, used to be unlimited mileage one way where Uhaul has limited miles. If I move, Im gonna rent from Penske for sure, not uhaul.

How about Harbor Freight Tools.... They have a folding trailer for easy storage...hope this trailer met ur budget...

I know Uhaul is ripoff., but the truth is it may be the cheapest you can find.

If you wish buy, some states requires inspection, registration, and you gotta cough up taxes and so on and once your done with it, how long is it going to take you to finally sold and get money back? What if your new place not permitting trailer on their property?

Penske DOES have trailer, but you must rent a truck in order to be able to rent trailer. I would suggest you check their rate. I am not sure about right now, used to be unlimited mileage one way where Uhaul has limited miles. If I move, Im gonna rent from Penske for sure, not uhaul.

I checked the price quote and it's $1,314 not including taxes and insurance plus gas (these trucks get up to 12 mpg) Yes, it has unlimited miles and there is no cargo trailer rentals there, only dolly for towing your car.

Yea, buying a trailer would be a headache to own anyway.

How about Harbor Freight Tools.... They have a folding trailer for easy storage...hope this trailer met ur budget...

The prices aren't bad but looks pretty small but could probably hold a stack of kids beds and a few other stuff. We're gonna get rid of most furniture.

I can add planks and stakes to hold stuff from falling off the bare bone trailer, lol. We'll see about that.

I did thought of that, but the cheapest one can carry only half a ton, that is it. Most expensive one about a ton. Not sure if it is enough for him. Uhaul trailer can haul couple tons. Also, don't forget, once add wood planks on trailer it adds up the weight which reduce amount of cargo he can haul.

Another thoughts, if buy trailer on craigslist, and if he use it half way of moving and it breaks down, it is on his own responsibility, will he be able to afford emergency repairs?, this is the reason why I think Uhaul is cheapest, if it breaks in middle of road, Uhaul takes care of it. Craiglist suckers gets stuck with.

I did thought of that, but the cheapest one can carry only half a ton, that is it. Most expensive one about a ton. Not sure if it is enough for him. Uhaul trailer can haul couple tons. Also, don't forget, once add wood planks on trailer it adds up the weight which reduce amount of cargo he can haul.

I saw one for $359 that can hold up to 1,720 lbs, which is close to 1 ton on the same website.

That would cost you about 450-500 dollars after your done with everything. That includes taxes, registration and possible inspection, and wood planks.

I saw one for $359 that can hold up to 1,720 lbs, which is close to 1 ton on the same website.

That would cost you about 450-500 dollars after your done with everything. That includes taxes, registration and possible inspection, and wood planks.

Yeah, so $700 trailer from u haul is how big compared to this one? What's the payload limit for the top of the line enclosed cargo trailer from u haul?

I think 3-4K lbs, Uhaul trailer is very well built with heavy gauge steel, way better than Harbor freight trailer. And you don't have to worry about rain.

Yeah, so $700 trailer from u haul is how big compared to this one? What's the payload limit for the top of the line enclosed cargo trailer from u haul?

Back