Career Questions

itjustmehere

Reaction score
I am new to AllDeaf.com and would like to say hello to everyone. I'm 44 years old and have a profound hearing loss since I was 18.

I was wondering if I could get some direction in here. I am wanting to change careers and was wondering what types of jobs other hearing impair or deaf folks do for a living. Do you work in the deaf world or the hearing world? Do you make good money at what your doing? I myself do not do sign, so I don't think I would work in the deaf world.

I wear hearing aids and phone ampliphiers to assist me with the phones, but it is just getting too stressful for me. I am currently in customer sevice/inside sales (and has been for last 25 yrs).

What else is out there for me?

Ignored

Well, I guess I feel just as ignored in the AD world ask in the hearing world. I make a post, say I am new to AD, say Hi to everyone, and as a very important questions to me. 25 people have viewed my post, no one said Hi, or welcome to AD, sorry I can't help you, I don't work or any comments what so ever. I guess AD isn't the place for me either.

Be well.

Last edited:
Welcome to alldeaf and enjoy. Do you know sign language? I never work with deaf people in real job before. I used work at bank that I worked with hearing employees. I don't know what you want to work with.

Opps I forget to add, I used work with deaf children about tell a stories, deaf world, etc that I didn't earn money. I did for free.

My husband work at UPS. He work with other hearing employees. there are few other deaf people working there. all of them use sign languages and they use paper to communicate with the boss with no plms. Very flexible there except that they dont let the deaf people drive but its in court now and i think that will be won as my husband got the letter other day so deaf drivers get chance to drive and deliver boxes and gifts. Wonderful news! :)

i like to add that.. Deaf people can DO anything.. except hear... so think of that quote.. meaning you can do whatever your heart desires... :)

Thanks for the replies

Thank you for the replies. Now wanting to change careers isn't an issue... now it is a necessity.... I just got laid off today. I am beside myself. I was unemployed for 2 years the last time.... I don't want to do this again! I wanted to change carriers, but not by being laid off.

No, I don't sign. My girls are learning it in school and they haven't taught me a whole lot yet. I'm still have a little hearing left and read lips.

Last edited:
I know some deaf/hoh folks work at the passport processing center.

Have you checked with your local VR services? They provide job searches, and sometimes job training.

Well I signed up for unemployment today. I sent an email to VR to see if I can get back into the job club. I tried to get retrained the last time I was unemployed and was told I had too many marketable skills to get retrained. I did qualify for new hearing aids, so I did jump on that. I love working in the office and love working with computers, but most office jobs require phones and I hate phones. Even with my hearing aids and phone amplipher it is too stressfull and some people I just can understand. I just pray it doesn't take me 2 years to find a job like the last time.

Last edited:
:welcome: to AD!!!

I did work for an insurance company doing data entry but it was a low level job. Now, I am a teacher for the deaf so I am sorry I cant help u there. I know a few deaf guys who work for IBM in New York. It seems that IBM hires a lot of deafies. Both of my friends who work there have their Master's Degrees so I dont know if their job requires a college degree. U can check out IBM.

Back