Career question for interpreters - really need help!

tleigh3

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Right now I am trying to decide if I can combine training in SL with my interest in travel. I need to make a decision very soon as Uni/College entries are closing.

TL;DR:
My big question - Did anyone study ASL or British Sign Language, and now work with deaf people in a foreign country?

What do you do? How much did you adapt your SL to the local SL? Or do you know someone who did this?

-----------------------------------------
My reasons for asking:

I'm from England. No degree yet.
I live in Vietnam currently, have OK Vietnamese SL, love the deaf culture.
Cannot stay as cannot earn money. Work permit requires degree.

I think I want a career interpreting, working in charity that supports deaf clients, etc...
I’d really like the chance to work abroad as well.

I want to take a degree in either ASL (willing to study in States) or British Sign Language (in my country).

I think studying in the UK would be much easier for me. But it seems ASL has WAAAY more relevance worldwide (some use in Africa, Honduras, as a 2nd deaf language in Japan etc.). BSL only seems relevant in Britain, Australia and NZ.

I don’t want to live abroad forever, but I’d love the OPPORTUNITY to work/interact with deaf people in exotic places.

I cannot find info about this anywhere and I'm trying to choose my future! Thanks for any help.

I assume it's difficult, but I guess all you need is a little creativity to find a way. There was a german teacher of the Deaf regularly coming to a Swedish two week summer course in sign language that I go to. She just wanted to broaden her skills and learn both Swedish and Swedish sign language. There is a Deaf from Ukraine who has learnt Swedish sign language and is currently using his skills to do a tv documentary about the present situation in Ukraine from a Deaf perspective for Swedish Deaf viewers. Really interesting. I know nothing about international signs, but young Deaf people in Europe seem to know some for international purposes.

Thanks for the input. Can I ask if you're deaf or hearing? Do you find it easy to interact with other Europeans in SL?

I am hard of hearing, and learning sign language, so not really the right person to offer input. The sign languages do differ, but Deaf people seem to be pretty good at communicating at least basic messages. At my local Deaf club, the members taught me some basic BSL signs and Polish sign, which was fun. Perhaps it's a generation difference as well. Younger people who travel, study or work abroad naturally learn more of other languages.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about an Alldeaf member from US traveling in Europe. Don't remember who, but that person should know a lot more about international communication among Deaf.

Back