http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/13288185.htm The Olathe Fire Department is providing special carbon monoxide detectors for residents who are deaf or hard of hearing. Department officials said regular carbon monoxide detectors cost about $20 each, but special devices for the deaf can cost 10 times that. The department has purchased more than 150 detectors with $21,000 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that fire officials say accounts for half of fatal poisonings in the United States. The special detectors use a combination of bright strobe light and an audible alarm to alert a person to the gas. They can be plugged into a standard outlet. For more information, call (913) 971-6333 or the TTY line at (913) 971-7903.