Car Rental Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
My son in law rented a car and did a walk around to see if the car had any damage on it before signing the agreement . The car was fine and he returned the
car in the same condition he got it . Today my SIL got a phone call from the rental saying that he had an accident and scratched up underneath the car and it will
cost $500 to fit it. My SIL didn't have any accident and didn't drive over anything that could had scratched up underneath the car. There was is no way for a person
renting a car to check out underneath the car unless it on a lift . I feel this is a scam to for rental place to made a fast $500 ! His insurance company said he didn't need to take out insurance on the rental agreement b/c he already has insurance. This will made his rate go up and he didn't have any accident . I feel the rental place is trying to made fast $500, they know people aren't going to checking out underneath the whole car to see if has any damage before renting it. Does this sound like a scam to you guys ?

Yup. First I would request to see under the car he rented. Make sure it is the exact car. Your rental paperwork should have the vin. If there is no damage or if the damage is old and rusty then take pictures. Also find out if it's policy to put the car on the lift after every times it's rented. If not then then there is no way for them to prove that he did the damage.

Yup. First I would request to see under the car he rented. Make sure it is the exact car. Your rental paperwork should have the vin. If there is no damage or if the damage is old and rusty then take pictures. Also find out if it's policy to put the car on the lift after every times it's rented. If not then then there is no way for them to prove that he did the damage.
:ty: I did tell my daughter this too , to see if the damage is old or new . I am going to send this to her . So you think it sound like a scam too, I did as soon as my daughter told me about it.

When I rented a car, we put that rental car on our auto insurance. If the rental place has a dispute, I would assume they (rental place) would have to work it out with your insurance company? And not the people renting.?

:ty: I did tell my daughter this too , to see if the damage is old or new . I am going to send this to her . So you think it sound like a scam too, I did as soon as my daughter told me about it.

Could be. But it's also easy to rub the front bumper on a curb while parking and never know it. Make a big stink and they may drop it anyway. A few bumper scratches on the underside isn't going to hurt anything. They just want your money.

Could be. But it's also easy to rub the front bumper on a curb while parking and never know it. Make a big stink and they may drop it anyway. A few bumper scratches on the underside isn't going to hurt anything. They just want your money.
This is the underside of the car only the rental is complaining about .
My daughter did a research like I told her to do and the rental company her husband use has class action lawsuit against and
a lot of other rental places do too. Yup , they just trying to made fast money and they're now being sued !

Most common damage to underside is front bumper scraping on curb when parking. Most bumpers are plastic now so it affects nothing but they still want to charge you to paint it.

Most common damage to underside is front bumper scraping on curb when parking. Most bumpers are plastic now so it affects nothing but they still want to charge you to paint it.
I will have to ask my daughter just what the rental place means by underneath the car. Their insurance company will be checking this out so I'll be interested to see what they made of the whole thing. :ty: you for your responses :)

If the scratches are further in under the car- I wonder if going over any speed bumps could cause it- especially if you go a little faster than usual. Definitely agree with the underside of the front bumper (or back if you back in) rubbing up on the curb edge and not realize it.

A bit surprised they called directly- Most places take your insurance information for that reason (if it covers rental) and would have called them (or so I thought).

I pay an extra 10 and use theirs, then no worry even if you total it.

To those who rent a car, I suggest that you document the vehicle you're renting it, (photograph or video the vehicle around closely) or go through with the agent and double check for damage (scratches, dent, dings, etc) and check and double check the paperwork carefully before signing it. There is some dirty car rental companies trying to milk money out of your pocket.

Always inspect the car thoroughly inside and around the body if you want to take the risk without their insurance.

My son in law did a complete walk around of the car inside and out , but there was no way for him to see under the car unless it put up on a lift.
The rental place is claiming that the car got scratched up under the car which is the one place a person renting a car can't really check out . There are
businessmen that rent cars all the time and no way are they're going to crawl on the ground to check out underneath a rental car while wearing their
suit. . My SIL was a car salesman so he how to do a walk around , the only place he couldn't check was this part of the car and the rental place knew this. They couldn't say he damage the body b/c my SIL checked for any damages on the whole car before signing the agreement . So the only place the rental place could say got damage was under the car , so this is a scram ! The photo is were the scratches are said to be .

underneath.png

Last edited:
My son in law did a complete walk around of the car inside and out , but there was no way for him to see under the car unless it put up on a lift.
The rental place is claiming that the car got scratched up under the car which is the one place a person renting a car can't really check out . There are
businessmen that rent cars are the time and no way are they're going to crawl on the ground to check out underneath a rental car while wearing their
suit. This the part of the car that being questioned about .

underneath.png
Yes, we know what you're talking about. You don't have to keep repeating yourself. BTW, this picture includes the bottom of the bumpers, so stop acting like those who suggested the damage might be on the bottom of the bumpers don't know what they're talking about.

I worked at Enterprise Rent A Car for 5 years. They never inspect the undercarriage of the car. Most of the time they inspect the exterior body of the car and the Windows. That rental car company is more likely scamming for money. It doesn't make any sense at all. The previous paperwork must match what before and after with no extra damage done to the car. If it was overlooked, that's too bad for the employee not customers fault.

This is the underside of the car only the rental is complaining about .
My daughter did a research like I told her to do and the rental company her husband use has class action lawsuit against and
a lot of other rental places do too. Yup , they just trying to made fast money and they're now being sued !

Why was research not done the the particular company he was going to use before renting from them?

The military uses mirrors on long sticks to check the undercarriage of vehicles without needing a lift. Of course, I'm not expecting a rental customer to do that. Just mentioning that there are other ways.

This sounds like a "buyer (renter) beware" situation. This is one rental company to avoid.

The military uses mirrors on long sticks to check the undercarriage of vehicles without needing a lift. Of course, I'm not expecting a rental customer to do that. Just mentioning that there are other ways.

This sounds like a "buyer (renter) beware" situation. This is one rental company to avoid.
I'm guessing border patrols also use the stick with mirror to look for drugs, etc that may be taped to the bottom of cars.

LOL! I was telling my daughter people needs to use mirrors on long sticks to check out the 'undercarriage' of a rental cars before renting it . :ty: telling what the correct word is :).
This rental company has a class action lawsuit against it.
When my daughter told me the name of the place I told her to check out the reviews on the rental place and she said there are few rental places that have a class action lawsuit against them. I think b/c my SIL gave the car such a real good walk around which was something he had to as a car salesman , the only place the rental could try to scram him was on the undercarriage. My daughter car was hit by a young woman who was on her cell phone and my daughter's setup a rental at the same
one as her husband used . My granddaughter was with her mom and thank goodness they weren't hurt . I guess if someone does rent cars a lot it would be wise to
have a mirror on a long stick.
I rented a car once and it was the first time , I asked the woman to tell what it would cost and to list what I had to pay for. When I returned the car I was told
I had to pay $60 more for something and I told the woman that she didn't say anything on the phone about and that I asked what the total cost would be .
I didn't have to pay the extra money. :)

What's the name of the car rental company?

We told NOT to give any business a bad name for obvious reasons !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back