Car Dealership Learning Sign Language For Deaf Mechanic

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Car Dealership Learning Sign Language For Deaf Mechanic - News Story - WCYB Tri Cities

Daniel Lethcoe is just like all the other guys in his automotive class except for one difference -- Daniel is completely deaf.

He joined the automotive class at the Tennessee Technology Center because he was having a hard time finding a job. "Deaf people can do anything they want," he said. "I wish people would be more open in hiring those who are deaf."

Daniel isn't the first hearing impaired student in Jacky Livingston's classroom. "We work through an interpreter to communicate, relay instructions or questions," Livingston said. "But there is no difference. I don't treat them any different than a hearing student."

He had two deaf students in his class about four years ago. This year, there are three students including Daniel. "We're able to be around each other, communicate with each other. It's so nice not to have just one deaf person," said Daniel.

After school, Daniel goes to the Phil Bachman Toyota where he practices what he learns in the classroom. That's why other mechanics here are learning sign language to help communicate with Daniel. "We're learning words we use most of the time back here in the shop," said Bill Patrick, shop foreman.

Patrick supervises Daniel at the car dealership. He said in some ways, Daniel has an advantage. "He might be able to feel vibrations that I can't feel," Patrick explained. "Even though he may not hear something, he can feel it better than I can."

When Daniel does need to listen for something, he isn't afraid to ask to help with the diagnosis. "I can't hear the slightest little ting. But I can also ask someone who can hear to come over and listen for me and explain it." Daniel said he is okay with his co-workers lending an ear. "A long time ago I used a hearing aid, but it didn't help me. So, I stopped using it. But I'm perfectly fine with being deaf."

Daniel switched to the automotive class from the diesel program because drivers can not get a Commercial Driver's License in Tennessee if they are deaf.

Back