Caption phones at work

Tony_Bars

Reaction score
I am newly HOH and have to use the phone on a semi-frequent basis at work. I have my work calls routed to my iPhone which has InnoCaption installed on it. I couple that with streaming calls to my hearing aids. Not a perfect system, but it's the best I could come up with. InnoCaption is pretty quick and fairly accurate, but some of the CAs are crap. I have a CaptionCall phone at home and could never imagine using it at work due to the delays in the captions coming up. Anyone else using a captioning phone at work?

Hi.. I've a couple of questions out of curiosity...

1. How did you route your work number to your iPhone and connect to InnoCaptions as I was under the impression that with InnoCaptions, like all relay services, you have to get a new number for that. So with that you have work number--> iPhone#-->innocaptions # . Wondering as I considered it for my own cell phone but don't know how the whole... 'giving out the number' thing works with InnoCaptions (With VRS- it's the direct number even though it's yet.. another number lol)

2. Do you use headphones/DAI cords with the iPhone when on a call using InnoCaptions? I'm not sure if the two would conflict or not.

Hope that makes sense especially #1.

1. How did you route your work number to your iPhone and connect to InnoCaptions as I was under the impression that with InnoCaptions, like all relay services, you have to get a new number for that. So with that you have work number--> iPhone#-->innocaptions # . Wondering as I considered it for my own cell phone but don't know how the whole... 'giving out the number' thing works with InnoCaptions (With VRS- it's the direct number even though it's yet.. another number lol)

2. Do you use headphones/DAI cords with the iPhone when on a call using InnoCaptions? I'm not sure if the two would conflict or not.

Since I am retired I have no need to actually do this. But without the work number in the mix someone wanting you dials your InnoCaption number (like they would any other number), that would ring your cell phone (be it iPhone or Android OS) and when you answer like any other call the captions begin.

So, when you put the work number in the mix I would expect the work number to be set to forward to your InnoCaption number and the captions would begin when you answer your cellphone. So it would be work number -->InnoCaption number --> cell phone.

I do have a dedicated phone number (local area code) with InnoCaption, but I contacted my IT department and they were able to set up my work extension so that when someone dials my work number, my iPhone and work phone both ring simultaneously. If I know the person calling is an internal number on a hard line, I will answer with my work phone which I use a binaural headset and inline digital processor from plantronics to "clean up" and amplify the sound. If I don't know the number, I will typically answer on my iPhone which launches InnoCaption and I take the call via Bluetooth directly through my hearing aids. I have a hard time understanding people who are on cellphone and I occasionally need to speak with external customers so the captioning helps in those instances.

Since I am retired I have no need to actually do this. But without the work number in the mix someone wanting you dials your InnoCaption number (like they would any other number), that would ring your cell phone (be it iPhone or Android OS) and when you answer like any other call the captions begin.

So, when you put the work number in the mix I would expect the work number to be set to forward to your InnoCaption number and the captions would begin m you answer your cellphone. So it would be work number -->InnoCaption number --> cell phone.
Yes, the only caveat with InnoCaption is you need a cellphone carrier who provided simultaneous voice and data (one for the voice and one for the captions) or you need to be connected to wifi. I have my phone connected to wifi at work since my carrier (sprint) doesn't provide simultaneous voice and data.

Yes, the only caveat with InnoCaption is you need a cellphone carrier who provided simultaneous voice and data (one for the voice and one for the captions) or you need to be connected to wifi. I have my phone connected to wifi at work since my carrier (sprint) doesn't provide simultaneous voice and data.

Thank you for bringing this part up. I do use InnoCaption on just my cell phone (no other phone chained with it). That very problem is what led me to switching to an AT&T MVNO, namely PureTalkUSA.

I didn't stop to think about the others reading this thread that might not know that. I had been in threads with DeafDucky who asked about connecting all the parts and knew he was somewhat familiar with InnoCaption from the perspective of using it on just a cell phone.

One workaround I did years ago before any carrier had simultaneous voice and data where I live (even though AT & T had it in same areas) was to carry two cell phones with different numbers and use one like you would a computer browser to get the captions and the other to talk into.

Unfortunately the fact I'd have to get a "dedicated" number for Innocaptions to even use it is what prevents me from considering it. I already have a VRS number (several in fact but that's down to only 2 as I stopped using Purple and Convo) and a cell phone number. Didn't like the idea of having to remember/memorize a zillion numbers (hyperbole for those wondering).

Thank you Tony for your reply.

Unfortunately the fact I'd have to get a "dedicated" number for Innocaptions to even use it is what prevents me from considering it. I already have a VRS number (several in fact but that's down to only 2 as I stopped using Purple and Convo) and a cell phone number. Didn't like the idea of having to remember/memorize a zillion numbers (hyperbole for those wondering).

Thank you Tony for your reply.

Could the same method we just talked about using for InnoCaption be used to connect (forward) to your VRS number?

I'm new to this forum and I'm doing some research for my dad who is completely deaf and went deaf around the age of 35 (he speaks really well..btw I seen this questioned on a different forum) but he never learned asl because it is a small town in Indiana and no one else new it to speak back with him. Consequently my entire life we have wrote our entire conversations (first letters, then email, now we skype/chat) but he is getting older 76 and wants something he can use in case of an emergency. We've been looking into cell phones so he can text us (although, texting to 911 is new in a lot of areas and I'm going to assume this small town does not have this capability) but now I'm wondering what all I would need to do and get him set up with for this Innocaption to work? i.e. what type of cell phone, what do I need to make sure the carrier can handle this app...I think you mentioned being able to handle data and voice simultaneously, is there anything else I need to be aware of?

I'm new to this forum and I'm doing some research for my dad who is completely deaf and went deaf around the age of 35 (he speaks really well..btw I seen this questioned on a different forum) but he never learned asl because it is a small town in Indiana and no one else new it to speak back with him. Consequently my entire life we have wrote our entire conversations (first letters, then email, now we skype/chat) but he is getting older 76 and wants something he can use in case of an emergency. We've been looking into cell phones so he can text us (although, texting to 911 is new in a lot of areas and I'm going to assume this small town does not have this capability) but now I'm wondering what all I would need to do and get him set up with for this InnoCaption to work? i.e. what type of cell phone, what do I need to make sure the carrier can handle this app...I think you mentioned being able to handle data and voice simultaneously, is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Data & voice simultaneously is the main thing. The voice side is used to do your own talking if you are using their app; then data is used for the captions that are displayed on the phone of what the other person is saying. I am not sure if Sprint offers it at all and Verizon requires that you be in an area with LTE service. For AT&T you just need what they call 3G service which is really all over as they are in the process of shutting down the slower 2G service.You do need a smartphone either iPhone or Android.

There is a self-certification of need process right at the start that is a one time thing. It has changed since I signed up with them so can't give you a personal opinion about how smoothly it goes.

I have used them for quite some time and have found them accurate and fast especially when you consider that they use a live stenographer to do the captioning. I have also found them responsive to questions and helping about solving problems.

I am probably forgetting something you are wondering about. So, if I have, please just ask and one of us will respond. If fact, you may get more comments even before that.

I have InnoCaption for my cellphone and a caption call phone at home. Both are free services for the deaf or HOH. Caption Call provides the phone free as well.

Yes, CaptionCall for home is free as long the audiologist signs the paperwork certifying the individual is deaf/HOH or pay the 75.00 fee if they still require that.

Back