Caption not working

That's what I means. Some dvd player calls it as "subtitle" Some dvd player calls it as "CC" but both are really same thing. BUT for the dvd disc? It's different.

I wish I saved all models list in the few years ago. Let me looking up again for you.

Hard to find than I thought so. :shock: Sorry.

Hard to find than I thought so. :shock: Sorry.
That's alright. Hopefully all electronics companies will start producing new players with a built-in CC decoder for 2014. Finger crossed.

I suggest all deaf people who plan to buy a DVD or BD player to wait for (year) 2014 models.

Maybe she tying to get untangled from all the cords . I am have trouble with my CC too but I think it because my TV is so old. It was given to me.

I'm sorry, it's been so frustrating. Everytime I contact Sears Live Chat (and it's a different person every time), they tell me to come back "at the end of day." I said "my day ends at four, how about you? Why does no one answer me?" (It ends at 6:00 PM, just so you know if buy anything from them). Then I saved all the chats and tried to copy and paste and the damn thing didn't work. I was prevented from answering them during the chat - they probably do something to the site on purpose to keep you from typing so much. I haven't responded to this thread because I've had bad carpal tunnel and had to give it a rest. My job is repetative as it is without needing to deal with Sears. You're right, I really can't see how it's connected to the box because of the design of the TV stand, the VCR in the way and my own ignorance too I guess. What length would I need to buy for the cord? I've got someone (hopefully an English speaker) coming on November 16th so I want to have everything I need. Thank you all for the replies. What a bummer this purchase has been. I stream Netflix through the TV and I can't hear a damn thing without my TV Dex. I think a wireless sound system will be the next purchase after the cord.....:pissed:

All modern flat screens should CC capable. The enabled captions on her Comcast service will only work for her signal. To view a DVD, she has to enable CC through her Samsung set. I bypass all this switching around with net streaming.

femme Fatale;2245316[COLOR="Red" said:
]All modern flat screens should CC capable. [/COLOR]The enabled captions on her Comcast service will only work for her signal. To view a DVD, she has to enable CC through her Samsung set. I bypass all this switching around with net streaming.

That's kind pointless because limited languages/color/size and many DVRs, cable boxes, directvs, streaming boxes, video games, etc ALREADY have built-in CC/subtitles PLUS HDMI cable do not carry the CC decoder signal. We have no problem with direcTV via HDMI for almost six years and no problem with PS3 (Netflix, hulu, and blu-ray) via HDMI for 4 years. Thanks to built-in CC decoder.

I'm sorry, it's been so frustrating. Everytime I contact Sears Live Chat (and it's a different person every time), they tell me to come back "at the end of day." I said "my day ends at four, how about you? Why does no one answer me?" (It ends at 6:00 PM, just so you know if buy anything from them). Then I saved all the chats and tried to copy and paste and the damn thing didn't work. I was prevented from answering them during the chat - they probably do something to the site on purpose to keep you from typing so much. I haven't responded to this thread because I've had bad carpal tunnel and had to give it a rest. My job is repetative as it is without needing to deal with Sears. You're right, I really can't see how it's connected to the box because of the design of the TV stand, the VCR in the way and my own ignorance too I guess. What length would I need to buy for the cord? I've got someone (hopefully an English speaker) coming on November 16th so I want to have everything I need. Thank you all for the replies. What a bummer this purchase has been. I stream Netflix through the TV and I can't hear a damn thing without my TV Dex. I think a wireless sound system will be the next purchase after the cord.....:pissed:

Check your white/red AV cable again and make sure connect correct ports like audio 1,2,3. See, composite cable and component cable are so confused and too many plugs. The HDMI is very simple and idiot-proof since it's only ONE port. It's have built-in video and audio already.

That's kind pointless because limited languages/color/size and many DVRs, cable boxes, directvs, streaming boxes, video games, etc ALREADY have built-in CC/subtitles PLUS HDMI cable do not carry the CC decoder signal. We have no problem with direcTV via HDMI for almost six years and no problem with PS3 (Netflix, hulu, and blu-ray) via HDMI for 4 years. Thanks to built-in CC decoder.

If it's pointless, then why can't she see it? The old devices only send the signal, digital can't read the "analog" signal, so it has to be turned on from the set or it's not compatible at all.

If it's pointless, then why can't she see it? The old devices only send the signal, digital can't read the "analog" signal, so it has to be turned on from the set or it's not compatible at all.

Because she have outdated dvd player or human error.

Like brand new roku 3, Chromecast and Apple TV does not have composite cable and component cable. HDMI only. Also they are dirty CHEAP as $35-$99. Guess what? They work fine with subtitles.

Roku_3_35627695_04_610x436.jpg

Apple_TV.jpg

chromecast.jpg

Also, Why bother to keeps old dvd players since they are up to 480p and blu-ray up player and streaming are up to 1080p and she got a brand new LCD TV with 1080p ready.

Also, Why bother to keeps old dvd players since they are up to 480p and blu-ray up player and streaming are up to 1080p and she got a brand new LCD TV 1080p ready.

I believe she watch a lot of foreign movies that may available in DVD format.

Creo ella ver mucho de los cines extranjeros que el mayo en el formato de DVD disponible.

I believe she watch a lot of foreign movies that may available in DVD format.

Creo ella ver mucho de los cines extranjeros que el mayo en el formato de DVD disponible.

Then most foreign movies should have English subtitles ready. I watch foreign movies a lot too.

I looked up the downloadable manual for PS3 which functions as a BD player as well. It does NOT have a built-in Closed Caption decoder. If you were talking about subtitles, CC and subtitles are different because of different hardware/software. FACT!

I looked up the downloadable manual for PS3 which functions as a BD player as well. It does NOT have a built-in Closed Caption decoder.If you were talking about subtitles, CC and subtitles are different because of different hardware/software. FACT!

Sorry I was not clear, I means built-in CC decoder for DVRs, cable boxes, and directvs

Sorry I was not clear, I means built-in CC decoder for DVRs, cable boxes, and directvs
I learned that PS4 will come out on 11/15. Will that be an early-release 2014 model or not? There is not enough info on it regarding a built-in CC decoder since there's no manual available for download yet.

I learned that PS4 will come out on 11/15. Will that be an early-release 2014 model or not? There is not enough info on it regarding a built-in CC decoder since there's no manual available for download yet.

PS4 isn't DVD or BD player standalone so it may not count under FCC regulation since regulation only apply DVD or BD player standalone, not gaming console.

PS4 isn't DVD or BD player standalone so it may not count under FCC regulation since regulation only apply DVD or BD player standalone, not gaming console.
That's a good point. Let me research it again since PS4 is also called a STB that plays DVD/BD.

Edited: http://www.alldeaf.com/2140001-post43.html

-all devices that have a video player capable of showing video programming are covered starting in 2014, including mobile devices;
-the HDMI hole is closed (hooray!). Starting in 2014, DVD and BluRay players must support CC over HDMI with set-top boxes also required to support them.
-caption quality requirements with respect to fonts, sizes, etc. were adopted.
You will notice that it mentions set-top boxes (STBs) which mean DVRs, cable/satellite boxes, game consoles that also play DVD/BD and any other components that are hooked up to TV to play video such as Apple TV, etc as long as they have HDMI output.

That's a good point. Let me research it again since PS4 is also called a STB that plays DVD/BD.

Edited: http://www.alldeaf.com/2140001-post43.html

You will notice that it mentions set-top boxes (STBs) which mean DVRs, cable/satellite boxes, game consoles that also play DVD/BD and any other components that are hooked up to TV to play video such as Apple TV, etc as long as they have HDMI output.

Oh I see, it is possible for Sony to add software CC decoder to PS3 and PS4 via firmware upgrade.

Oh I see, it is possible for Sony to add software CC decoder to PS3 and PS4 via firmware upgrade.
PS3 doesn't have a built-in CC decoder (computer chip = hardware) since it's not a 2014 model but I am not sure about PS4 which will be for sale starting on 11/15. Is it a 2013 or 2014 model? If it's a 2014 model, it should include a built-in CC decoder. That's my concern.

Also, Why bother to keeps old dvd players since they are up to 480p and blu-ray up player and streaming are up to 1080p and she got a brand new LCD TV with 1080p ready.

I watch Hong Kong movies which are Region 3 and my DVD is rigged to play everything, from North America, to Europe to Asia, so I keep it.

Thank you everyone for your help. At the moment, I got a call from my Dad who's with my mother visiting my sister in Maryland. She became ill yesterday and she's in the hospital now. We're waiting to hear from the doctor soon. I may be off this board for a while because I really can't think of anything right now but my family. To those of you of faith, please send prayers for my mother. Thank you.

Back