Caption not working

Lau2046

Reaction score
I bought a Samsung Smart TV and got the captions to work, somehow via Comcast set up. The person that set up the TV had the captions working from the TV but since he left, I've no idea what happened to it but thankfully I figured out how to do that through the Comcast menu. I had to have someone from Sears back again this morning and it seems from what he said, it's not available or disabled - he was Russian and hard to follow. I was a little put out by him. I mentioned Samsung told us where the outlets should connect in the back and he insisted they never said that. I told him he wasn't in the room during the call so why was he telling us one thing when we know what was said....

He also insisted Samsung didn't tell us where to change the outlets to get the DVD going and I've no idea how that is because I know this guy wasn't in the room during the conversation. He at least explained how to get the DVD and VCR working. Now I'm watching a DVD which has subtitles (none in English) and says it's captioned too. I'm playing it and it's not captioning. What am I missing? My DVDs won't be captioned on an HDTV anymore? How do I get this to work? Thank you.

Laura

If you hook the DVD player via HDMI so closed captioning over HDMI isn't supported, unless your DVD player has CC decoder built-in.

That why HDDVR and HD receivers (like Comcast) have CC decoder built-in that you can use over HDMI, not CC directly from TV.

I'm not understanding this. I have the closed captions working on the TV but when I play a disk from a TV show that's closed caption - that doesn't play.

It says it's captioned yet it doesn't work, but when I turn the DVD off, the TV has the captions. I did a live chat with Sears and he's telling me to turn it on through the DVD player. If it's captioned, it doesn't need to be as the captions start up automatically. For a smart TV this is a royal PIA.

If you hook the DVD player via HDMI so closed captioning over HDMI isn't supported, unless your DVD player has CC decoder built-in.

That why HDDVR and HD receivers (like Comcast) have CC decoder built-in that you can use over HDMI, not CC directly from TV.

I'm not understanding this. I have the closed captions working on the TV but when I play a disk from a TV show that's closed caption - that doesn't play.

It says it's captioned yet it doesn't work, but when I turn the DVD off, the TV has the captions. I did a live chat with Sears and he's telling me to turn it on through the DVD player. If it's captioned, it doesn't need to be as the captions start up automatically. For a smart TV this is a royal PIA.

I think Foxrac has the key to your problems. How is your DVD player connected to your TV? If it is an HDMI cable, the DVD player MUST be a model that has CC within the DVD player. The HDMI cable will not pass the CC through from the disk for the TV to read.

I think Foxrac has the key to your problems. How is your DVD player connected to your TV? If it is an HDMI cable, the DVD player MUST be a model that has CC within the DVD player. The HDMI cable will not pass the CC through from the disk for the TV to read.

It's not connected with an HDMI cable. If it were a blue ray player, it would be but this isn't.

It's not connected with an HDMI cable. If it were a blue ray player, it would be but this isn't.

Then please give us as detailed a description as possible of how it is connected. Also, can you give us the exact brand and model of both the TV and DVD player? Maybe some of us can look up the instruction booklets of both and understand better and give you clearer instructions for connecting them.

I have a Samsung Smart TV, model UN40F6300. The DVD player is a Philips, I can't see the model number for that given where it's hooked up; it's a standard DVD player, not a Blue Ray. This worked on my Tube TV and I got captions when the disk played too. The player works on my Smart TV but if the DVD is CC for the deaf and I'm looking for the captions, then it doesn't work. I have a Mary Tyler Moore DVD set. It's CC for the deaf - that doesn't work on this TV but it will on the others. The subtitles thankfully are in English so I can use that. I bought a DVD from the show "The Nanny" - the subtitles are foreign, the DVD is CC for the deaf but it doesn't work. The TV has CC and it's working now as I type. But if I'm playing a disk from a TV show - Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead, Witch Blade, the closed captions don't play when the disk is playing and it should. It ticks me off Sears makes it so hard for the HOH.

Last edited:
What kind of cable are you using?

Yellow, Red and White cable (composite)
composite_cable.gif

Red, Green, Blue cable (component)
Component_cable.jpg

HDMI cable
hdmi_000.jpg

Based on my experience, CC will only work with composite cable (yellow, red and white).

The first picture. I've just done my third Live Chat with Sears and they told me to contact them again tomorrow and they'll try to reschedule with a native English speaker that understands about the caption feature on the Samsung. Hell, at least I have DVDs....now I just need to understand what's said....

Yes, it's confusing but from what I'm reading above, I have Samsung Smart TV similar to your and you said that you have regular DVD player. What I recommend is to use composite cable ( you can use component cable to give better picture quality but composite is fine) and have your Phillip DVD player using composite cable to your TV. Now as far as your cable box, you can use HDMI cable and set the caption on in your cable box setting.

So now you have two separate inputs, composite input and HDMI input. When you switch input to DVD player, you can use the CC button on your remote (it's the very bottom, third column to the right) and be sure it's set to C1 (I think, I can't remember now but use the first choice since there are many other choices like C2 or Text1 Text2 such but C2 or Text1 or Text2 don't work).

I hope this help?

What kind of cable are you using?

Yellow, Red and White cable (composite)
Red, Green, Blue cable (component)
HDMI cable
Based on my experience, CC will only work with composite cable (yellow, red and white).
Good job, Foxrac!

Really, the questions are very old. They have been discussed all over the forum for a long time. Anyway, the pictures you posted are helpful.

She's not the only one. My wife knows no shit about it, too. :lol:

The only difference is that Lau2046 is learning something new like this and my wife isn't interested in it. She always told me that it's my job. :roll:

The TV has CC and it's working now as I type.
I want to ask you about this. You said TV has CC and it's working. The question is what source was that from? Antenna or cable box?

If it's from your cable box, do you know what connection is used from that box to your TV? If it's HDMI, that means the cable box's built-in CC is enabled which is good and TV's built-in CC has nothing to do with it at all.

Now your DVD player is connected to your TV via composite video (yellow RCA plug). That's good. And you complain that it doesn't show CC from the DVD. That means your TV's built-in CC is disabled so you need to enable it. Follow SneakerNet's instruction for your Samsung TV remote to enable CC. I hope it's clear enough for you.

The first picture. I've just done my third Live Chat with Sears and they told me to contact them again tomorrow and they'll try to reschedule with a native English speaker that understands about the caption feature on the Samsung. Hell, at least I have DVDs....now I just need to understand what's said....

Oh wow, the CC from TV supposed to work if you have composite so something is wrong with DVD itself or TV, so could you test with your computer or laptop to see if CC will display on screen.

Yes, I had same issue about representatives from call centers didn't understand about what I said, so they had strong accent or their English wasn't first language.

I hope English is the person first language and not their second or third
language .

Lau2046 it has been a couple of days since you posted in this thread. Did the promised call come in and have you made any headway on this problem?

Lau2046 it has been a couple of days since you posted in this thread. Did the promised call come in and have you made any headway on this problem?

Maybe she tying to get untangled from all the cords . I am have trouble with my CC too but I think it because my TV is so old. It was given to me.

It's Blu-ray player. There is no "E" Some dvd players have CC decoder built-in due HDMI port. For your old dvd player, don't put any disc in the dvd player, just turned power on then go to setting or menu then looking for CC to enable. If you can't find anything then you don't have CC decoder built-in. Time to update your new blu-ray player and it will works fine with your old dvd dices.

It's Blu-ray player. There is no "E" Some dvd players have CC decoder built-in due HDMI port. For your old dvd player, don't put any disc in the dvd player, just turned power on then go to setting or menu then looking for CC to enable. If you can't find anything then you don't have CC decoder built-in. Time to update your new blu-ray player and it will works fine with your old dvd dices.

Also, some DVD players has subtitles. You can find subtitle from the menu on the DVD players.

What brand/model?

All I heard is that DVD and BD players as well as other STBs must include a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014 per FCC rules.

Also, some DVD players has subtitles. You can find subtitle from the menu on the DVD players.

That's what I means. Some dvd player calls it as "subtitle" Some dvd player calls it as "CC" but both are really same thing. BUT for the dvd disc? It's different.

What brand/model?

All I heard is that DVD and BD players as well as other STBs must include a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014 per FCC rules.
I wish I saved all models list in the few years ago. Let me looking up again for you.

Back