Can't hear child moving around house

Pippa Jones

Reaction score
Hi all I really hope you can help. I have lost a lot of my hearing to Nenieres in the last few years. My youngest son is not a good sleeper and wakes a lot in the early hours. Unfortunately I can't hear him moving around and he can open stair gates etc 5yrs old. He demolishes my house before I even wake up and my biggest fear is he will hurt himself. Can anyone suggest anything?

You could get a baby monitor that alerts you when he's waking up. And have other monitors around the house. It might mean you'll get woken up often, but ... if that's what gives you peace of mind. They have them in both lights and/or vibrators, whichever you think would wake you up best.

Thanks Alleycat. I was also wondering if there is a pressure pad alarm I could put on the stairs?

There might be some sort of pressure pad alarm... look under alarms or equipment for autistic children or those who have a tendency to run Where I used to work, they had to put some sort of alarm- audio tho) on all the doors to alert when one of the residents would run- that was after the incident where one young man left and managed to find his way to the main road (a good 5-10 minute walk- big campus)... in the dark.. in bare feet.

Aren't there mats/rugs used in stores for when people come in off the street. Could something originally made for that be adapted for this use?

Aren't there mats/rugs used in stores for when people come in off the street. Could something originally made for that be adapted for this use?
The pressure pads have sensors, and usually have a weight minimum (so I don't know if a 5 year old is heavy enough.) I just don't know about the stairs part.

I use an Amazon Echo and Samsung Smarthings. I know they sell motion detectors that you can program to turn on lights in other parts of the house. So you could set a motion detector that watches his for and program it to turn on the lights in your bedroom.

Back