Canadian ADA Law????

Lantana

Reaction score
I just returned from a 2 week trip across Canada and was wondering, does Canada have it's own version of the ADA Law? If so, what is it called?

Hmm, I'm not aware of it. It's probably called CDA!

Ontario Disabilities Act

Heyyy Lantana!! We missed each other as we were both in Ottawa on the same time!!! It would've been sooo nice to meet you and your husband, KingCobra and I would've larrvved to meet you, too as well!! There's always a next time!! *winksa* You asked about a Canadian Disabilities Act, each province has their own disability act. Ontario has its own and it's called "Ontario Disabilities Act".

It's more direct with each city in Ontario. Whenever there's a barrier for each handicap, the ODA works directly to resolve that barrier. The ODA is for the Deaf, blind, physically-challenged and so on.

http://www.odacommittee.net/resolutions.html

Lantana said:
I just returned from a 2 week trip across Canada and was wondering, does Canada have it's own version of the ADA Law? If so, what is it called?

Hi Lantana!

I hope your husband and you enjoyed your trip to Canada! I wonder if you both ever went to Newfoundland and Labrador. Just curious! :)

Speaking of the Canadian Disability Act, The proposed law was in place in spring of 1997 until the dissolution of Parliament for national election of 1997 made it nullified. It has not been brought up again ever since. :(

Actually, we have the Charter of Rights to protect our rights to have access to interpreting and essential services and better accessibility. The problem is so many people, especially Deaf, have no idea how helpful the Charter of Rights are to them because they lack their understanding and knowledge of this very important act.

Now we have a new provincial Liberal government in Ontario and I hope the ODA will be passed during their term.

KingCobra! HISSS!!!

Back